Who Has Replaced a Scamp Axle in Los Angeles Area - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-05-2014, 08:21 PM   #15

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
I usually cut off my axles and position the new axle. The welder swings by my house and welds on the new axle for $100. Cutting off the old axle is the worse part of the job. I think Scamp charges less than $200 plus axle cost for the complete job and it takes them about two hours if you are in their neighborhood,. You should figure on 3-4 hours of labor if they don't do them every day. If my welding guy is tied up I just weld them on myself.
Eddie

Old 05-05-2014, 10:34 PM   #16

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
I could have someone position the bracket n weld it on. Does it nern to be cut off with a torch or will a cutting every work?

Problem is getting the right axle. I don't trust my measuring skills enough since I'm nor familiar with these axles :-/

Old 05-05-2014, 10:36 PM   #17

California
Registry
Aznative maybe I just need a long trip to Arizona to see your mechanic. Where in Arizona are you?
Old 05-05-2014, 11:59 PM   #18

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
22.5 degrees seems like a lot of down angle, you can find your original down angle by removing the tire. The square axle shaft where it comes through the arm and is welded was originally positioned so two of the points where parallel to the frame <>

• Remove the tire so you can see the arm and where it attaches to the axle.
  • Then use a jack or pry bar to position the arm so the corners of the axle shaft are aligned in the original position like so <>
  • You can now see or use a protractor to measure the down angle the arm the tire mounts on originally had.
You probably won't have to actually measure down angle because it is most likely one of the standard ones (0, 10, 22.5, 45) so they are visually pretty different, with 0 being arm parallel with trailer frame and 45 being half way to straight down. Anything different than stock start angle will change the height of the trailer. More so if the shop welds a riser to deal with the next issue, the brackets.

Standard torsion axle the bracket that welds to the trailer is off set so it provides a longer weld toward the tire spindle, same direction the arm is pointed. That is where the load is focused at the tire. On a scamp however the axle is welded in right where the frame drops for the main floor. It is tucked into the corner formed by the frame going up for the rear dinette. No room for the axle mounting bracket to extend toward the front.

That means an exact measurement of the bracket and it's position OR welding a riser onto the frame to make the raised part of the frame level with the main floor so the long side of the bracket can point forward. Using a riser will place the axle a few inches lower so even original down angle axle will raise the trailer about as much as the dinette floor is above the main floor. Starts to make that step into the trailer require an actual step.

What the trailer guys that replaced mine did is figured out the original spindle height from the original down angle and ordered axle with down angle and low profile bracket to reproduce that original spindle location. This provided "stock" ride height for trailer. Helped that they drive down to an axle factory in Indiana about once a week and could talk directly with them to go over a shop sketch of the axle they wanted.
These guys are third generation working in family trailer fabrication business and they did not want anything to do with converting my trailer to a trailing arm axle. Despite the extra hassle of ordering the custom axle they preferred that to trying to re-engineer a trailing arm.

First picture in this Dexter literature you can clearly see the "diamond" running parallel and the bracket is longest in the direction of the spindle. Which is backwards of a scamp leading arm bracket. Turn that standard axle around and the standard bracket won't fit in original location.

http://l.b5z.net/i/u/6149609/f/Trail...nformation.pdf

I would get the standard 5 bolt pattern not the 4 bolt. Brake hubs for 4 bolt are harder to find as parts and more expensive. The hubs were $50 each and only Dexter had them in stock. If you stay with 4 bolt might want to consider picking up a spare 4 bolt hub with bearing in it because not likely to find it in stock on the road. Mount it directly to the spare or stash it in the camper. I wish now I had done 5 bolt instead of the original 4 bolt. I went 4 bolt to avoid buying new rims but spent almost as much extra on the brake hubs.

To use 5 bolt rims and mount a spare tire on the back you would need to modify your spare tire bracket to line up with the 5 bolt pattern. The two existing spare mounting bolts don't line up with the holes on a 5 bolt rim.

This is a pretty easy. Essentially just a channel with bolts in new location that line up with 2 of the 5 bolt holes on the rim, and 2 holes in the bracket that line up with the existing bolts on the trailer. An adapter if you will. Maybe a bar or channel running down to the bumper to form a "T" with the bracket adapter, gain some support from the bumper for the spare tire.

If I had figured out the spare tire mount before I ordered the axle I would have definitely gone with 5 bolt hubs. Between new rims and not knowing how I would mount the spare I went 4 bolt, regret it now (but not all that much).
Old 05-06-2014, 12:16 AM   #19

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
You know I should have just posted this link. Some pictures in there, lots of smart folks who have been there and done that weighing in.

Scamp Axle - Leading vs Trailing
Old 05-06-2014, 02:26 AM   #20

California
Registry
Roger dat thanks for all that info!! Lots to look into. Thx
Old 05-06-2014, 06:33 AM   #21

Name: Tim
Trailer: Homebuilt Teardrop
Minnesota
Have you called Scamp and asked them?
Old 05-06-2014, 08:11 AM   #22

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Keep it simple and cheaper

You may try finding an axle shop that will install an axle that you buy. Then order one from Scamp. You don't have to get any measurements, Scamp has them already. 22.5 degrees down and 2,200# rating will give you a longer axle life before it will have to be replaced in the future. Scamp has the exact same Dexter axle as getting one from someone else.

If your tires and spare have a lot of miles on them yet, you may want to stay with the 4-bolt hub. Replacing the wheels and tires would cost at least $300 alone.

Jim
Old 05-06-2014, 08:57 AM   #23

Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I just did the axle under my 1988 16' and copped out and ordered it from Scamp. I probably could have saved some bucks by getting it somewhere else but I wanted to get one that I knew would work and be done with it and go camping. It fits and looks great although I did have to move the two wire grounding lugs forward (actually had to replace them as they were seized/galled up) to clear the new, longer bracket. And, since the new axle is bolted and not welded to the frame I am not going to weld the little floor support tab in the center to the axle. My plan is to instead weld a "T" to the top of the axle and let it support, but not be attached to, the floor framing.

I started out carefully grinding at the welds on the old axle with cutting wheels in a die grinder but that got old quick. I quit that and just cut the bracket away with a torch from the axle getting the axle out of my way. I then attacked the remaining bracket pieces still attached to the frame with the torch and a larger grinder. There was no point in trying to be careful with the old axle & bracket, they are toast.

Actually, since I had to buy new tires & rims and still have the old that are in pretty goor shape, I am going to cut off the old spindles and weld them to a piece of 2 1/2" pipe to make a straight axle. Some new perches, springs and hangers and presto, new light duty trailer axle. Like I need another project!
Old 05-07-2014, 01:14 AM   #24

California
Registry
Haven't tried scamp but after these posts maybe I will. Their prices are usually pretty good but i hate to think of what they want to ship it ha ha
Old 05-07-2014, 02:34 AM   #25

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Who Has Replaced a Scamp Axle in Los Angeles Area

I called scamp for an axle for my 19'. The axle and a 3" lift were shipped the next day. The lift pieces were cut to perfect length already. I burned them and the axle brackets in, and had the axle bolted up in a few hours. Easy as can be. Well worth a possible few $$ extra, IMHO. There are plenty of custom axle horror stories going around this forum.

I'm more capable than most with fabricating things, but why mess with success (especially with a leading setup)?

One way or the other, you're paying for the shipping.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:00 AM   #26

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Shipping charges

Having an axle shipped from Scamp to CA will probably be a little north of $100. If you buy one direct from Dexter, the shipping charges to the distributor will be about $70+ as they deliver numerous axles once a week to their distributors. If the axle shop picks it up from them, there will probably be an additional delivery charge in the price. When done, there will not be a large difference in shipping charges between buying from Scamp or buying from Dexter.

The place where you have to watch for excessive shipping charges is on e-Bay. Some clowns try tacking on huge shipping fees to protect against a low sale price.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:48 AM   #27

Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
It was $200 to have my axle shipped from Scamp to Florida. But it was laying in my driveway* one week after I called. It was worth it to me given my time constraint (the kid gets out of school in a couple of weeks) to go ahead a month ago and get one that I knew would fit headed my way. And you know what? It fit fine! As I grow older I find increasing instances when I say to myself "I am going to throw some bucks at this s**t and make it go away". And since I bought the older Scamp instead of newer (larger, more expensive) rig I have a few bucks left to do so, and still buy a little gas for the tug.

*By laying in the driveway, I mean RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE IN FRONT OF THE GARAGE DOOR. I can just see the UPS man saying when he dropped it off, "make me tote this heavy sucker, I will make sure you have to move it before you can even get in the garage".
Old 05-07-2014, 09:53 PM   #28

California
Registry
Ha ha timberwolf I can completely relate. Now all I need is the $$$$. LOL

Tags
axle, scamp