Who Has Replaced a Scamp Axle in Los Angeles Area - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2014, 05:33 AM   #21

Name: Tim
Trailer: Homebuilt Teardrop
Minnesota
Have you called Scamp and asked them?
TPMcGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:11 AM   #22

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Keep it simple and cheaper

You may try finding an axle shop that will install an axle that you buy. Then order one from Scamp. You don't have to get any measurements, Scamp has them already. 22.5 degrees down and 2,200# rating will give you a longer axle life before it will have to be replaced in the future. Scamp has the exact same Dexter axle as getting one from someone else.

If your tires and spare have a lot of miles on them yet, you may want to stay with the 4-bolt hub. Replacing the wheels and tires would cost at least $300 alone.

Jim
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:57 AM   #23

Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I just did the axle under my 1988 16' and copped out and ordered it from Scamp. I probably could have saved some bucks by getting it somewhere else but I wanted to get one that I knew would work and be done with it and go camping. It fits and looks great although I did have to move the two wire grounding lugs forward (actually had to replace them as they were seized/galled up) to clear the new, longer bracket. And, since the new axle is bolted and not welded to the frame I am not going to weld the little floor support tab in the center to the axle. My plan is to instead weld a "T" to the top of the axle and let it support, but not be attached to, the floor framing.

I started out carefully grinding at the welds on the old axle with cutting wheels in a die grinder but that got old quick. I quit that and just cut the bracket away with a torch from the axle getting the axle out of my way. I then attacked the remaining bracket pieces still attached to the frame with the torch and a larger grinder. There was no point in trying to be careful with the old axle & bracket, they are toast.

Actually, since I had to buy new tires & rims and still have the old that are in pretty goor shape, I am going to cut off the old spindles and weld them to a piece of 2 1/2" pipe to make a straight axle. Some new perches, springs and hangers and presto, new light duty trailer axle. Like I need another project!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:14 AM   #24

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Haven't tried scamp but after these posts maybe I will. Their prices are usually pretty good but i hate to think of what they want to ship it ha ha
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:34 AM   #25

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Who Has Replaced a Scamp Axle in Los Angeles Area

I called scamp for an axle for my 19'. The axle and a 3" lift were shipped the next day. The lift pieces were cut to perfect length already. I burned them and the axle brackets in, and had the axle bolted up in a few hours. Easy as can be. Well worth a possible few $$ extra, IMHO. There are plenty of custom axle horror stories going around this forum.

I'm more capable than most with fabricating things, but why mess with success (especially with a leading setup)?

One way or the other, you're paying for the shipping.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:00 AM   #26

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Shipping charges

Having an axle shipped from Scamp to CA will probably be a little north of $100. If you buy one direct from Dexter, the shipping charges to the distributor will be about $70+ as they deliver numerous axles once a week to their distributors. If the axle shop picks it up from them, there will probably be an additional delivery charge in the price. When done, there will not be a large difference in shipping charges between buying from Scamp or buying from Dexter.

The place where you have to watch for excessive shipping charges is on e-Bay. Some clowns try tacking on huge shipping fees to protect against a low sale price.
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #27

Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
It was $200 to have my axle shipped from Scamp to Florida. But it was laying in my driveway* one week after I called. It was worth it to me given my time constraint (the kid gets out of school in a couple of weeks) to go ahead a month ago and get one that I knew would fit headed my way. And you know what? It fit fine! As I grow older I find increasing instances when I say to myself "I am going to throw some bucks at this s**t and make it go away". And since I bought the older Scamp instead of newer (larger, more expensive) rig I have a few bucks left to do so, and still buy a little gas for the tug.

*By laying in the driveway, I mean RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE IN FRONT OF THE GARAGE DOOR. I can just see the UPS man saying when he dropped it off, "make me tote this heavy sucker, I will make sure you have to move it before you can even get in the garage".
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:53 PM   #28

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Ha ha timberwolf I can completely relate. Now all I need is the $$$$. LOL
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:43 PM   #29

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
As I grow older I find increasing instances when I say to myself "I am going to throw some bucks at this s**t and make it go away".
LOL thats exactly how I feel many a day of late!!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:33 AM   #30

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
*By laying in the driveway, I mean RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE IN FRONT OF THE GARAGE DOOR. I can just see the UPS man saying when he dropped it off, "make me tote this heavy sucker, I will make sure you have to move it before you can even get in the garage".[/QUOTE]

Had kind of the same thing happen when UPS delivered four new tractor tires, mounted on new rims. I was home and met him.....just couldn't make out all of what he said. Something about getting these big %$)K&^ heavy things out of here already. Kind of felt sorry for him cuz they took up most of the floor. Wonder now where he would have dropped then if I hadn't been there.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, scamp