Who Has Replaced a Scamp Axle in Los Angeles Area - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #1

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Who Has Replaced a Scamp Axle in Los Angeles Area

Hello

I am despirately trying to replace my axle on my 1980 Scamp 13'.

So far I have tried three different places with different results. I plan on using a Dexter axle and I will list the specs I know (so far) below. Dexter quoted me approx $365 which includes shipping.

Arrow Trailer seemed highly recommeneded, however they wanted to charge me to measure my axle, and their axle price was about twice what dexter wanted, in addition to cutting off the old axle and putting on brackets to bolt the new axle to. Their estimate was about two grand.

Now I know prices may have gone up some, but most other similar work was done for 800-1K (including the price for the axle).

Second place I contacted, was Accruate Trailer in Santa Clarita, he said I did not need an axle (even though I am riding low and my fridge is bouncing loose, and by fire extinguisher and cabinet door "bounced" off the walls on my last trip.

Finally I canned Marksman, he said he could order an axle but I would need to measure it myself.

I know a lot of the measurements, but I dont want to have to measure everything and miss something or get something wrong and end up with an axle I cant use.

So Far this is what I have:

#9 Leading Axle 2k rating (derated to 1800 lbs)
w/e-brakes (swap brakes if "trailing")
10 degrees down
4 on 4 lugs
Bolted to "side mount" brackets

The rest of the "detailed" measurements I am not sure about.

Any suggestions on where to go to get this done, or has anyone replaced their axle on a similar year 13' Scamp and has a copy of their order sheet??

Thank you!!!!!!

Old 05-05-2014, 04:37 PM   #2

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Jimbo use the search option and the bottom google option and type in Scamp axle replacement and you will find lots of good info and answers to your questions. Pretty common to have to do some measuring before ordering - there have been lots oooppps posted here in regards to the wrong axle being ordered.

Looking at the real world weights on the Scamps 13's listed I think I would be looking for an axle with a bit more than 1800 lbs rating. Or is that what Scamp is putting on their 13's currently?

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:16 PM   #3

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1971 Boler 13' / 2013 Ford Escape
Manitoba
Registry
I would have the shop measure it out because if they get it wrong it is their fault if you measure it and it is wrong then you have just bought 2 axels. The shop charging you $2000 is ripping you off big time. The whole axel swap should only take a couple of hours or so in labor.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
See post 5
Replacing Welded on Axle on 1998 Casita Spirit Deluxe Need Info
Old 05-05-2014, 05:32 PM   #5

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Jimbo
Add E Z lube hubs and mounting brackets to your order list. You also want camber applied to the axle. Because Scamp has the dropped floor you will need to specify 1" mounting perch. I replaced a S-13 Axle about a year ago and I pulled the tag off the old axle for ordering the new one but can't find it right now. Scamp replaced an axle for me about 5 years ago and they installed a 22.5 degree down axle.
Tell who ever replaces you axle to cut off the old swing arms first. It makes it much easier to get to the weld to cut off the old axle. You only need two measurements, bracket width and Hub face. It is easier to do with two people, the trailer on jack stands and both rims removed.
Eddie
Old 05-05-2014, 05:47 PM   #6

California
Registry
Thanks for the tips. I definitely want the shop to order it. They have experience measuring. I don't. But any numbers would help in case I "have" to

Bracket is on the list and I will add the ez lube.

Does it sit too High with the 22 down?
Old 05-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #7

Name: Gina
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Arizona
I got a new Dexter axle for my Boler. I went to a mechanic to do it for 2 reasons.
1. My boler had leading arm configuration and Dexter only makes trailing arm now. So I didn't feel comfortable getting the exact measurement. Plus now that I switched arm positioning a trailing arm will need a good piece of metal tubing so it can clear my fiberglass tub. The axle needed to be moved forward to fit in the wheel well.
2. I did not want to weld the square tubing with fiberglass so close to it.
But if I just had to loosen up the old axle and put in a new one I would of done it. It was the whole welding thing that got me spooked.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #8

Virginia
If I recall correctly on an older reverse mount the the axle is mounted to the rear raised frame member making it being mounted 3" higher than the newer Scamp. 22.5 degree down on a newer forward facing axle Scamp will make the hitch too high for a normal car hitch and it would also require a step for the door. On my 82 Scamp we were comfortable with the 22.5 degree axle.
Eddie
http://l.b5z.net/i/u/6149609/f/Axle_Measurement.pdf
Old 05-05-2014, 06:39 PM   #9

California
Registry
I read a ton of posts here and want to use a leading axle. (Which means ordering a dexter axle n flipping the brake pads to make it a leading setup. As noted above if it was unbolt n bolt back on I'd be or but since there is some math involved I want to be 100% sure

As for height I am adding brackets and will stay with a leading arm in roughly the original position but more degrees means higher ride. So 22 would be Higher up that 10 and if I use a bracket instead of welding on 22 would put me way too high. .....

Correct?
Old 05-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #10

Virginia
Under no load the #9 is about 1.75" higher, under full load it is about 1" higher. (The 22.5 deg, swing arm.) The bolt on bracket only adds .25" inches. FYI Dexter is now offering a replaceable spindle as an option. Also with a forward mount axle config. there is a little interference on the curb side and you have to cut a notch out of the axle bracket to make the new axle fit. I'm not sure if you can use the bolt on brackets because of the interference.
Eddie
Old 05-05-2014, 07:26 PM   #11

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I have used Arrow Trailer's Axle Department several times for parts as well as some service, even as recently as two weeks ago, and have found them to be fair priced and honest in their work.

You might want to recheck with them. Maybe there was a misunderstanding about what you wanted.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:31 PM   #12

Virginia
Bobs right. I think most people here are quoting prices for only welding on the axle. Your quotes may be including the brake wiring which will run the price up quite a bit.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:00 PM   #13

California
Registry
Eddie shouldn't run two grand for parts n labor on a four hundred dollar axle. Sixteen hundred dollars markup n labor to cut off an axle weld on two brackets and bolt the axle on to the brackets....

I'm willing to pay for experience but that seems excessive..
Old 05-05-2014, 08:02 PM   #14

California
Registry
Missed the brake wiring part. There's already a wire from my harness to the underside of the trailer. Two nuts or some solder and were good to go.

Tags
axle, scamp