who has replaced ensolite? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2019, 04:19 PM   #1

Name: Melanie
Trailer: Scamp
FL
who has replaced ensolite?

Hi Everyone - I keep trying to save the ensolite in my 1974 Scamp 13, but I think it's too bad.... it's peeling away in many spots and is totally bad around the rear windows.

I am looking into replacing the ensolite. Who has done this? What product did you use? I think I may try doing it in sections so that I don't have to take everything down at once....

Melanie
campermelanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 04:38 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
Ensolite

I've replaced all of the insulation with "Reflextix" sold by most of the hardware stores.
It is essentially bubble wrap with tine foil on both sides. You can you spray glue like 3M "77".....but, it gets everywhere....
I eventually resorted to a hot glue gun and aluminum tape.
I have pics in my story.....1978 Boler complete reno...
Mike
ln41211 under reno and mods
ln41211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 04:41 PM   #3

Name: Melanie
Trailer: Scamp
FL
Thanks for the info! Did you paint over the reflextix?
campermelanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:35 PM   #4

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
Be aware that when sandwiched between layers, the reflectix actually is a significantly worse insulator than the same thickness of a closed-cell foam like ensolite. The high quoted R-values on Reflectix are for when it's used as a radiant barrier in a cavity with several inches of airspace on the "warm" side. When used in a wall, it's closer to R-0.6.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:59 PM   #5

Name: Caitlin
Trailer: '74 Beachcomber B15
Alberta
I have seen hull liner from boats used to replace ensolite. If you use Instagram, the account tipsy.the.boler is using hull liner. They just made a post about installing it today.
cawilson is offline   Reply With Quote