Why Modern Windows - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-12-2015, 11:11 AM   #15

Trailer: Bigfoot
"Ja" Lousy vs Modern

Here in Utah where it's HOT in summer, COLD in winter & DUSTY year round I couldn't even imagine anyone having jalousie windows. You get great ventilation with them closed!
Also, I once owned 2 Bigfoot 10-6 campers at the same time, one a 90's model, the other a 2002, both identical 2500 series except the newer had dual pane windows. Huge difference, especially running the AC in summer. And no frost on the inside of the dual panes, even on the coldest days.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:17 AM   #16

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Not sure if it relates to FGRV's but I know that when manufactures of modern jetliners started making them they had square cornered windows and eventually they would get stress cracks at the corners. Going to a rounded corner window eliminated that problem.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:29 AM   #17

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
Not sure if it relates to FGRV's but I know that when manufactures of modern jetliners started making them they had square cornered windows and eventually they would get stress cracks at the corners. Going to a rounded corner window eliminated that problem.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:00 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete luchka View Post
Here in Utah where it's HOT in summer, COLD in winter & DUSTY year round I couldn't even imagine anyone having jalousie windows. You get great ventilation with them closed!
Also, I once owned 2 Bigfoot 10-6 campers at the same time, one a 90's model, the other a 2002, both identical 2500 series except the newer had dual pane windows. Huge difference, especially running the AC in summer. And no frost on the inside of the dual panes, even on the coldest days.
If your Jalouise leaked when closed there were other problems, these windows don't leak if the seals are good and they are installed properly.

I do agree with you 100% on the dual pane windows, our Escape has them and they are superior over any single pane for heat, cold and noise.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:20 PM   #19

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Maxxair has discontinued the Wndowmaxx units and has no plans to reintroduce them.
When they first announced that decision, friends of LHC scoured the internet to find every available unit for the LHC shop. Any still out there would almost surely be a lucky find in a local shop.

Walt
Old 09-12-2015, 01:21 PM   #20

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
I do not have air conditioning so I would not trade my jalousie's . Luckily Triple E put them on all 4 sides . With new weather stripping when required leaks are not an issue. It has been 40 years and no sign of water damage.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:07 PM   #21

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
I think it definitely depends on style of camping; if I used a/c, I wouldn't want them. We dry camp 98% of the time...
Old 09-12-2015, 03:07 PM   #22

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Cool An engineering answer

I am not an engineer*, but I slept in a Trillium last night.

Floyd** in post 17 is correct. One avoids sharp inside corners in designs because they cause stress concentration. Cracks will originate from them.

*I was an engineering technician.

**Interesting that you use a photo of the De Havilland Comet which was the first commercial jetliner and is notorious for breaking up in flight because of metal fatigue caused by the pressurization/depressurization of the plane and the square window corners.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:22 PM   #23

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 Layout 7
Colorado
Registry
Love the jalousie windows on our 1982. Without AC, they give great cross breezes and this summer we've had them open in several torrential downpours, without a single leak. It does seem that the mechanism in one window will need to be replaced, but totally worth the upkeep for us.

(Also, whoever mentioned the sharp corners...definitely a place to be careful! My husband just about opened his head on a side one last weekend when reaching down to plug us in and I had already opened the windows!)
Old 09-12-2015, 04:47 PM   #24
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Floyd** in post 17 is correct. One avoids sharp inside corners in designs because they cause stress concentration. Cracks will originate from them.
I fully agree that a standard engineering principle is to avoid any sharp corner because it concentrates stress, but that is in a stressed, structural or pressurized structure. If this was an issue on our trailers we would see lots of cracks in the window area of the many Bolers, Scamps, Trillium's, ... that have used rectangular windows for decades. The bodies are not stressed on these trailers unless the frame is damaged. I have never seen a crack generating from the window area, the doorways yes.

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows