Why Modern Windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2015, 02:09 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Michigan
Why Modern Windows

Is there an actual advantage to the rounded corners of the modern windows over the square corners of the older windows? Just curious why people update if it's not broken.
Camper Creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:29 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
If you look closely at the aluminum framing of the modern (radius) windows, note there are no corner seams to leak - the extrusion is bent into a smooth surround. Fewer placed to have water come in, as the gasketing is also seamless. Not the case with the old square ones.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:31 PM   #3

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
To me, there is an airflow advantage to the older style of windows, as they can open fully.
The new ones do look more stream lined and modern...
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:50 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I believe in the older trailers (Scamp Casita Boler, ets.) the rear window didn't open the square side windows were a bit smaller. The newer with rounded corners not only have less of chance of leaking but the third window opening in rear and in the case of the Scamp an over sized roof vent you get lots of ventilation. Except when it rains. But even then the trailer is movable and can be moved to someplace where it isn't raining.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:01 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Walk into the corner of those old style jalousie windows and you will under stand why the newer windows are nicer. I like my modern style windows on my 1986 Scamp. Living in So Cal the benefits of Jalousie windows don't apply here. If i lived in Washington or Florida maybe I would have a different opinion.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:07 PM   #6

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I believe in the older trailers (Scamp Casita Boler, ets.) the rear window didn't open the square side windows were a bit smaller. The newer with rounded corners not only have less of chance of leaking but the third window opening in rear and in the case of the Scamp an over sized roof vent you get lots of ventilation. Except when it rains. But even then the trailer is movable and can be moved to someplace where it isn't raining.
That makes them an advantage in a new trailer, that has that openable back window...but in an old trailer with a fixed front and back window, I do think the wider open-ability of the full jalousie windows is crucial for good ventilation, and replacing them with newer windows may cut the air flow of the trailer...ymmv.

(I intend on replacing my tiny vent with a nice big one. )
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:22 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Creative View Post
Is there an actual advantage to the rounded corners of the modern windows over the square corners of the older windows? Just curious why people update if it's not broken.
I call the old square aluminum windows Red Ryder windows because I hate to walk around a Scamp with those windows open...

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:45 PM   #8

Name: RB
Trailer: 1992 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Virginia
The rear window in my '92 Casita is three fixed plexiglas panes. I'd love to put a jalousie in place of the center pane, and it wouldn't ever hit anybody as it would be guarded by the spare tire.
steelypip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:14 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
To me there is not a single advantage to the radius windows, the Jalousie open fully allowing 100% ventilation from the opening and they can be left open when raining and water does not come in the trailer. I wish my new Escape 19' had the Jalousie windows like my Boler
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:03 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
To me there is not a single advantage to the radius windows, the Jalousie open fully allowing 100% ventilation from the opening and they can be left open when raining and water does not come in the trailer. I wish my new Escape 19' had the Jalousie windows like my Boler
So change them!

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:12 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm 100% in agreement with Ian! If there were double-pane jalousie windows available for my trailer(s) I'd have them! Anybody that walks so close to my trailer that they'd run into an open window is walking to dang close. I mean really, what they only stick out six inches or so? Pad with a pool noodle if you must.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:38 AM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
One clear advantage of sliders is simplicity, they don't have all the mechanical parts to wear or fail, and there are no knobs to twist. plenty of rain free ventilation with the addition of Maxxair window vents and they are actually shut when they are shut.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:35 AM   #13
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
The Hehr radius jalousies have a fixed side glass size so the larger the window, the greater the percentage that opens. When closed they will weep, that is, you get a small amount of leakage in a hard blowing rain. If the trailer is level, it goes out the weep holes. Most of the window mechanism is aluminum but some is unplated steel and requires periodic maintenance. The opening mechanisms have lots of play . The gears do not appear to be well machined. That said, I've had no problem with them. I bought my trailer because of the windows and despite my critical comments, I am very happy with them. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:48 AM   #14

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
One clear advantage of sliders is simplicity, they don't have all the mechanical parts to wear or fail, and there are no knobs to twist. plenty of rain free ventilation with the addition of Maxxair window vents and they are actually shut when they are shut.
I tried everywhere (online) to obtain Maxxair Window Vents without success. Two companies had them listed but when I ordered they said they were out of stock and were no longer being made. Anyone else found these recently? Otherwise I'd love to have some good jalousie's.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:11 AM   #15

Trailer: Bigfoot
"Ja" Lousy vs Modern

Here in Utah where it's HOT in summer, COLD in winter & DUSTY year round I couldn't even imagine anyone having jalousie windows. You get great ventilation with them closed!
Also, I once owned 2 Bigfoot 10-6 campers at the same time, one a 90's model, the other a 2002, both identical 2500 series except the newer had dual pane windows. Huge difference, especially running the AC in summer. And no frost on the inside of the dual panes, even on the coldest days.
pete luchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:17 AM   #16

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Not sure if it relates to FGRV's but I know that when manufactures of modern jetliners started making them they had square cornered windows and eventually they would get stress cracks at the corners. Going to a rounded corner window eliminated that problem.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:29 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
Not sure if it relates to FGRV's but I know that when manufactures of modern jetliners started making them they had square cornered windows and eventually they would get stress cracks at the corners. Going to a rounded corner window eliminated that problem.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:00 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete luchka View Post
Here in Utah where it's HOT in summer, COLD in winter & DUSTY year round I couldn't even imagine anyone having jalousie windows. You get great ventilation with them closed!
Also, I once owned 2 Bigfoot 10-6 campers at the same time, one a 90's model, the other a 2002, both identical 2500 series except the newer had dual pane windows. Huge difference, especially running the AC in summer. And no frost on the inside of the dual panes, even on the coldest days.
If your Jalouise leaked when closed there were other problems, these windows don't leak if the seals are good and they are installed properly.

I do agree with you 100% on the dual pane windows, our Escape has them and they are superior over any single pane for heat, cold and noise.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:20 AM   #19

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Maxxair has discontinued the Wndowmaxx units and has no plans to reintroduce them.
When they first announced that decision, friends of LHC scoured the internet to find every available unit for the LHC shop. Any still out there would almost surely be a lucky find in a local shop.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:21 PM   #20

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
I do not have air conditioning so I would not trade my jalousie's . Luckily Triple E put them on all 4 sides . With new weather stripping when required leaks are not an issue. It has been 40 years and no sign of water damage.
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows