Window AC installation on a CT-13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #1

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Window AC installation on a CT-13

It finally warmed up enough and stopped raining long enough for me to install my window AC in my CT-13. I bought a window AC mounting bracket from Home Depot for $30. The included parts allowed me to not need to screw into anything, I used the plastic pieces that were included and added some metal spacers to give me some more length on the inside of the sill, I am allowing gravity and the drop arm on the outside to kind of vice the bracket in place.

I removed the screen from the rear window. To get the AC to fit the window opening I had to remove about 1/2 inch from the rubber stops inside the top and bottom window channel to allow the window to open more. The fit is perfect.

I added some rubber adhesive strips to the side of the AC where it contacts the window and frame.

I used the included bracket that mounts to the top of the AC with screws to insert a piece of wood, I have to make channels in the wood to fit the top angle bracket. I then two drilled holes (one was already in the center) and put in screws with wing nuts to hold the wood in place. On the outside, I cut another piece of wood to shape and drilled three holes through both pieces of wood to sandwich them together, on the outside piece of wood I added some adhesive backed rubber as a gasket. I also used some scrap pieces of foam on the bottom to fill the gap. It fits great, it is a very sturdy fit and I don't think there would be any problem driving down the road with it in, but I will likely take it out to travel. I have yet to see how weather proof it is in the rain, but I think it should do very well. It takes about 5 minutes to install/remove.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05153.JPG   DSC05154.JPG  

DSC05155.JPG   DSC05161.JPG  

DSC05162.JPG   DSC05166.JPG  

DSC05169.JPG   DSC05170.JPG  

DSC05171.JPG   DSC05172.JPG  

Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #2

Ohio
Registry
I also applied several coats of polyurethane to the wood pieces for weather resistance, I stained the interior one and left the outside one natural, I could have painted it white, but I don't like painted wood.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Taylor Coach 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz77 View Post
On the outside, I cut another piece of wood to shape and drilled three holes through both pieces of wood to sandwich them together, on the outside piece of wood I added some adhesive backed rubber as a gasket.

I have yet to see how weather proof it is in the rain, but I think it should do very well. It takes about 5 minutes to install/remove.

I also am putting an A/C in my trailer window temporarily and am concerned about keeping the rain out. Where did you find/buy the "adhesive backed rubber?" And have you had it in the rain yet?

Cheers John
John McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:36 PM   #4

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Great looking job. I've got one that I have had for 3 years now, just never put it in one of my trailers. But I just might put it in this one I have now.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:16 PM   #5

Ohio
Registry
I had the adhesive material, I got it in a trade, the guy said it was the same stuff they use for mouse pads but I'm not sure where to get it.

On the rain the answer is yes, the first time out a couple weeks ago it poured about as hard as it ever had with 60 mph wind gusts and I was amazed there was absolutely no water leaks, I am confident now that it will stand up to some HEAVY rain.

I am also pretty confident that the way I have this mounted it would have no problem in being left installed with traveling, it is locked in pretty darn tight.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:42 AM   #6

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Hi James, great install! We bougth the same A/C and the same mount from Home Depot but our unit doenst sit flat on the mount due to bolts/bumps on the bottom of the unit. It made it teeter side to side. So Hubby had to make a platform and attatch it to the window mount. How did you get your A/C to sit flush on the Home Depot Mount w/o a platform of some sort?
Old 06-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #7

Ohio
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Hi James, great install! We bougth the same A/C and the same mount from Home Depot but our unit doenst sit flat on the mount due to bolts/bumps on the bottom of the unit. It made it teeter side to side. So Hubby had to make a platform and attatch it to the window mount. How did you get your A/C to sit flush on the Home Depot Mount w/o a platform of some sort?
I'm not sure what bolts/bumps you are referring to, mine has a plastic frame built into the bottom of the unit and it is a flat framework, no bolts or bumps. It sat flush on the mount.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:35 AM   #8

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Ah yes, I see what you're referring too. We bought ours at Sears last week so maybe the model is a touch different even though the vents/controls etc looks exactly the same.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:59 AM   #9

Ohio
Registry
Yes, compare yours to the pics and see if you can tell a difference, I bought mine from Walmart online.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #10

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
I just bought a (similar) '83 Burro, and an acquaintance who is building one just like it for his daughter showed me a stainless steel "table" he built to attach to the tongue and bear the whole weight of the AC unit he is putting in the front window. It is to be a semi-permanent installation with a specially fitted piece of Lexan filling up the rest of the original window opening. He was most emphatic about keeping the weight of the AC unit off of the fiberglass.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:44 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
He was most emphatic about keeping the weight of the AC unit off of the fiberglass.

Froggie
Interesting Charlie. Please post pictures of this mod, when you can!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:44 PM   #12

Ohio
Registry
On the install I've done, the weight is very distributed by the window frame and the mount itself, the AC unit itself is pretty light to begin with. I don't think there is much stress on any given point. I would not hesitate to drive down the road with mine installed.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:44 AM   #13

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Great Installation! I'll have to see if this is an option for me too! But I'm a worry wart, and for a 5 minute install time (and removal time I'd expect), it might be better to be safe than sorry if the AC comes loose on a hard bump, and falls inward damaging who knows what, or worse, falls outward on the car behind you?
Has anyone had their AC unit come loose in transit? Is this a needless concern?
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:51 AM   #14

Virginia
Registry
DonnaD, he just showed me the bracket/table which was inside his fabricating shop and the front of the patient Burro which had a plywood template in the window frame. I don't know when he plans to put it all together. I don't know when I'll be back up that way, but I will try to get pix when I am there. BTW, this guy has as his main job reworking Airstream trailers, but he got the Burro for his daughter so she wouldn't have to take care of it as conscientiously as the metal body... interesting, huh?

BTW, I'm with Pam G on this... I don't want all that weight stressing my beloved fiber glass shell as I travel... in fact, I may just put in a couple of fans and be done with it!

Froggie
Old 06-23-2011, 07:25 AM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Charlie, maybe you're friend can take the pictures and send to you? I understand your feeling about the weight, etc. Perhaps you'd be just as happy with a powered roof fan and opening a window? Depending on the conditions/environment you camp, it can work very well.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:34 AM   #16

Virginia
Registry
I'll see how he's coming on the AC project and try to keep you guys informed. Meanwhile, I plan on replacing the standard roof vent on my Burro with the new Fan-tastic unit that came with the deal... as soon as I get a round tuit!

Froggie
Old 06-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #17

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
if the AC comes loose on a hard bump, and falls inward damaging who knows what, or worse, falls outward on the car behind you?
Has anyone had their AC unit come loose in transit? Is this a needless concern?
If you're going to do an installation that is permanent enough to not leak over time, you'll probably install it securely enough that it won't fall out either. Most window A/C units have the majority of their weight outside, so they won't fall IN.
Attached Thumbnails
100_0440.jpg  
Old 08-27-2018, 05:46 PM   #18

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McDonald View Post
I also am putting an A/C in my trailer window temporarily and am concerned about keeping the rain out. Where did you find/buy the "adhesive backed rubber?" And have you had it in the rain yet?

Cheers John
Adhesive backed rubber is available in strips of various widths and depths in the weather stripping section of hardware stores, at Home Depot, Lowes and also from online sources. You want to look for products that say closed cell or water proof.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote