Window Awnings - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2007, 05:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 95 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft
If we don't soon leave for Florida, I'm going to apply to Casita as a designer... Our 95 has louver windows, but have read a lot of peoples problems with rain coming in new sliding windows. I'm working on a late night project while wife is away.. A set of Awnings for the windows not covered by the large Awning...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dscn20002.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	6080

It's only in the early stages, but the only thing that will be attached to the camper is a thin track above window. When you want to set it up, slide the Awning in the track & stick the suction cups to the side & it's up !!!! No rain in the window & you don't need to spend $$ on the plastic louvers that block most of the window.... ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS MOD ?? I made this 1 from a old ATT vinyl poster & fiberglass rods from kites. It could be made from sunbrella material or anything to match the big Awning... KENN
Attached Thumbnails
Dscn20003.jpg   Dscn20004.jpg  

kconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 86 Burro 17 ft Widebody
Kenn,
Looks like a good idea to me. I have used fiberglass rods for some projects and you can get them at the local hardware stores as driveway markers, generally 4 footers and 6 footers.
Rick
Rick F. D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think anything you do to your trailer that makes it more comfortable for you...is great!

My only concern would be how much light a solid fabric would block. If it's gray and rainy, it's already "dark" outside and I'm one that needs all the light I can get. It would require more $$ and maybe some sewing, but you can purchase heavy clear vinyl to use as inserts in the awning to let more light in.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:13 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
But, But...

If you want shade, like we usually do, this would be perfect.

Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Deluxe
Kenn,

We don't have or want an awning, but our Scamp 5th wheel came with a rail attached. I've wanted some protection from rain over the door and your idea just might work. Thank you for sharing.

Nita
Nita F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:30 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
But, But...

If you want shade, like we usually do, this would be perfect.
Absolutely! I was commenting on this:
Quote:
Our 95 has louver windows, but have read alot of peoples problems with rain coming in new sliding windows.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 04:30 AM   #7

Quote:
I think anything you do to your trailer that makes it more comfortable for you...is great!

My only concern would be how much light a solid fabric would block. If it's gray and rainy, it's already "dark" outside and I'm one that needs all the light I can get. It would require more $$ and maybe some sewing, but you can purchase heavy clear vinyl to use as inserts in the awning to let more light in.

Donna has given a great idea CLEAR AWNINGS . This first 1 was just made with stuff i had laying around to see if it worked. But I may try to make 1 out of clear vinyl, could use the stuff the make furniture slip covers out of.. THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT
Old 01-20-2007, 01:19 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita 17 ft and Casita 13 ft
Ken, this is awesome! I could see someone doing this in a beautiful fabric or a colorful vinyl for all their windows - talk about looking homey & cute. I want to do it but alas .... hubby and I are not handy people (darn it) .

Somebody please do this and take pics - adorable! This mod would really make your trailer stand out!

Good job, Ken. I bet you inspire lots of folks!

Patty
Patty C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 02:26 PM   #9
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
That's exactly what I had in mind for my '89s kitchen window. It looks terrific! I used PVC for the frame over my A/C in the back window. Those fiberglass rods seem to be a great idea for the small one I want.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:53 PM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
This is simple amd very clever. Good job!

How do you think it will hold up in the wind tho?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 06:10 AM   #11

Quote:

Iguess it would depend on how strong the wind is & how well the suction cup holds. This is only a mod in the making like I said I used stuff on hand... I was pleased it came out so well. kenn
Old 01-21-2007, 09:31 AM   #12
Suz

Registry
Quote:

Gina, I thought about using a tension strap on mine that hooked underneath the belly band. That wouldn't work on your Burro, but you might be able to rig something that could be secured to the lower part of the window frame.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:10 AM   #13

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I like this idea too.

You could interrupt the pocket for the bottom rod for an inch or so, stitch Velcro onto a 1" strap, put an adjustable plastic thingy to snug up the length and a plastic hook for the end by the belly band. The strap would be removable when it wasn't needed. Or, you could just buy a spool of bungee cord material and tie it to the rod and the plastic hook. It would degrade over the years but would be easily replaced.

Anyone have a web url for the track it would slide into? Knowing the channel width would be important in determining the rod and fabric or vinyl thickness to use.

I suppose UV resistant thread would be a nice touch also. I don't know about sewing vinyl on a home machine. Shouldn't be too tough if you don't use too thick of vinyl or fabric.

West Marine sells clear and tinted vinyl with UV inhibitors:
West Marine Vinyl

UV thread. I don't know anything about thread sizes, but this is probably pretty heavy for a home machine.

West Marine UV Thread

I wonder if an adhesive wouldn't do the job?
Vinyl Adhesive with UV resistance
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:46 AM   #14

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I am gonna get some of that goop for my seats!
Thanks!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:27 PM   #15

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Gina,
We won't go near your comment
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 02:13 PM   #16

Registry
It does sound like a vaguely personal hygene problem, doesn't it?
Old 01-21-2007, 03:52 PM   #17

Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Millenium Eggloo')
A good possibility for a track for the awning is the same as has been used for years for the main awning, the aluminum tracks are available in 2 or 3 designs and some are even a nice white in colour with a small rain channel. Should be available at any RV supply shop. Here are some pictures from the Coast Distributing catalogue.

With these you just need to make a rope hem in the top edge of the awning and put a lower hem in to support the fiberglass rod and as was prevoiusly suggested, the trusty old bungee cords hooked to the belt line for tension against the wind.

If there were multiple windows on 1 side you could just put a single track the length of the trailer, then fit the 2 or 3 custom sized awnings in the same track, this would give a real tidy and organized appearance.
Charlie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:28 AM   #18

Registry
Ouch! $600+

Maybe elsewhere in the catalog, or a RV parts place willing to sell a single length...

Whew! After searching for RV awning rail, found several spots selling bits. Since they tend to be rather long, might be best to look for a place that sells local, or make a deal to have them cut to reasonable length before shipping.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:34 AM   #19
Suz

Registry
Steve, I purchased a small piece at a local rv shop. I don't remember how much it was, but it wasn't very expensive. Still have it. Intend on using it ... someday.

I think it was about 6' long and it was (most likely) less than $10.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:01 PM   #20

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Deluxe
Another suggestion for fabric is to look for a local awning manufacturer. They will surely have useable size pieces of fabric left over from orders.

Nita
Nita F. is offline   Reply With Quote