Originally Posted by paulitee
My windows are all junk. I've been toying around with the idea of redoing them all but it's been impossible to find all of the glazing especially for the larger windows (front and back). I'm seriously crunched for time and found a fiberglass guy. Was wondering if anyone here has used fiberglass to resize the holes to fit scamps new windows? I was considering simply fiberglassing over the front window and pretending it never happened. But my back hole right now is 20x44 and slightly curved. The new window is 18x42 and flat. Anyone think it's possible to make this work? Anyone done it?
I've been soo busy with other things, haven't been working on Totie a lot, but I did do something rather radical...
we had a friend who is a brown belt in karate....
side kick my plexi scratched up leaky globbed-with-30-years-of-silicone "windows" the heck out
They came out in about 4 pieces each, took off the ancient rubber gasket and off to the junk yard they went. No tears.
I'd bought flat glass RV windows with crank-out openings and aluminum frames. Hmmm...how the heck to put these in? They were different size by about 1" width and 1.5" height. So the openings got chopped to size. Hmm now what...OK they fit in but there's a compound curve, oops I think I really goofed this thing up! Good thing I didn't pay much for it! But wait, I think there's a solution...what I've been insulating the wall hollows with all along...Great Stuff Foam.
So I built with 2 rolls of blue painter's tape, a "form" for the support of the windows.
then I injected foam, for a perfect fit...then I removed the tape, and I was going to pop the windows out...ooops, majorly stuck (I wrote before how my progress is usually 2 steps forward, 3 back, 5 forward, 1 back, etc.)...what if I LEFT them in place and bondo's around them and trimmed them on the inside with wood?
Nope, not happening, compound curve wood moulding is in the "forget about it" difficulty category. So, I multimastered the windows back out and was left with this wonderful foam form with some bondo on it.
Next I took some fleece and dipped it in resin/catalyst and put it on the front window frame, in the back I just did that with plain old fiberglass.
So I'm at the stage where they'll be 240 ground to a real nice smooth "custom" protrusion as well as on the inside, nice and smooth. Then sanded, then test fitted, then reground, etc... then painted and I'll put the windows in with black gooey windshield caulk and bolt them all around with #8 bolts and locknuts/washers trimmed flush.
So I took a huge risk cutting the opening but you know what...at this point I think it's going to work (I hope!) and they will not leak because they're vertical plus they open up! Nice. Plus if they ever break I can just replace panes of glass. I also like the way they look.
In a few weeks I'll post my pictures of the windows, so I haven't gotten much done except for the insulation and my windows fiasco. These windows new cost over $900 each but I got them on eBay used for about $150 each, they're nice tinted.