Winter Angle Solar Panels - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2014, 07:09 PM   #1

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Winter Angle Solar Panels

At my latitude 41°, the sun rises (90-41)= 49° at equinoxes. Subtract 23.5° for the Earth tilt and the maximum the sun rises at the winter equinox is 25.5°. That is about the angle of the front of my cabover fiberglass nose piece.

I was not getting adequate charging from my other solar panels so I decided to add two more to that face. I'll get better winter charging. While it won't contribute as much in the summer, I have more than I need that time of year.

I used 3M VHB double sided tape. (Thanks for the tip Dave) I washed the whole camper once and the front face three times, followed by washing it with a. 50/50 solution of isopropanol and water.

The wiring was easy , just end added combines and crimped a few connectors.

I plan to tape the outside edges and wires with shrink wrap tape.

Pattern used for the tape, ready to apply

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1419037621.741429.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	79282

Nearly done, the shrink wrap tape has not been applied which will protect the edges and prevent the wires from catching on branches.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1419037641.306131.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	79283

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:10 PM   #2

Connecticut
Need to order a new clearance lens.

You can also admire my new jacks and swing out dually brackets.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:02 PM   #3

Name: richie
Trailer: Casita patriot deluxe (sold)
Virginia
nice job appreciate the pictures.
sparky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:50 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
Nice! That will definitely help!
Old 12-20-2014, 06:53 AM   #5

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Can you remove VHB tape? Just thinking about road stones cruising down the highway.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:44 PM   #6

Connecticut
I have no idea about removing the tape. I suppose a heat gun and goof off with a thin putty knife would do it--with the time.

It sits high enough it doesn't worry me that it will be damaged. I checked the front before I started and didn't find any chips in the nose above the horizontal bevel. Below the bevel I found a few tiny ones. If I was planning to drive the AlCan I might rig up some protection. I have four foam pad from the shipping. I suppose I could rig something up but I don't see the need.

One set back. they sold me the wrong type of shrink wrap tape to seal the outer edges. It is a type designed to leave no residue and has weak holding properties.

I will find out soon enough, how it holds up. I'm driving to Key West in a few weeks and staying at the Naval Air Station for a month or more.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:19 AM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Looks good Conrad. From reading 3Ms site on VHB tape, removing it can be a job as they made it to stick and not come off easily. I think your angle of the dangle will work out just fine.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:32 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
I have no idea about removing the tape. I suppose a heat gun and goof off with a thin putty knife would do it--with the time.

It sits high enough it doesn't worry me that it will be damaged. I checked the front before I started and didn't find any chips in the nose above the horizontal bevel. Below the bevel I found a few tiny ones. If I was planning to drive the AlCan I might rig up some protection. I have four foam pad from the shipping. I suppose I could rig something up but I don't see the need.

One set back. they sold me the wrong type of shrink wrap tape to seal the outer edges. It is a type designed to leave no residue and has weak holding properties.

I will find out soon enough, how it holds up. I'm driving to Key West in a few weeks and staying at the Naval Air Station for a month or more.
The only way I know of to remove an item attached with 3M VHB is either dental floss or piano wire (guitar strings work) that you work between through the VHB. Then you'll need something clean the residue. We always used isopropyl alcohol and lots of elbow grease.
Good luck.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:30 PM   #9

Connecticut
I still want to cover up the wires with better tape. I am considering removing two connectors in the series connection between the two panels and crimp them directly together for a lower profile.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:31 PM   #10

Connecticut
I don't entirely trust the VHB tape.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:20 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
Quote:
I still want to cover up the wires with better tape. I am considering removing two connectors in the series connection between the two panels and crimp them directly together for a lower profile.

Don't take the factory connectors off. They are waterproof and have heavy terminals to reduce voltage loss. They look fine!
Old 12-23-2014, 11:19 PM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
I don't entirely trust the VHB tape.

Conrad, have you ever looked at 3Ms video site for VHB tape ? Jets, truck boxes and the windows in Dubai's skyscrapers for just for a few examples. Don't think 65MPH is really much of a problem as jets are doing 600 . Removing it.....well, a bit more trouble than puting it on.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:34 PM   #13

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
[QUOTE=Night Sailor;497076]I still want to cover up the wires with better tape. I am considering removing two connectors in the series connection between the two panels and crimp them directly together for a lower profile.

Conrad, have you looked into using the plastic wire covers used for home theater systems or computers like I used. Small one along the top of the belly band houses 4 wires, and a large one below the belly band behind the propane tank house the 4 wires into 2 wire connecters. Best of luck, and Merry Christmas!
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01451.jpg  
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:07 PM   #14

Connecticut
[QUOTE=David B.;497106]
Quote:

Conrad, have you looked into using the plastic wire covers used for home theater systems or computers like I used. Small one along the top of the belly band houses 4 wires, and a large one below the belly band behind the propane tank house the 4 wires into 2 wire connecters. Best of luck, and Merry Christmas!
Dave & Paula
I'll look into it. How are they attached? I don't want to drill holes in the front.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:11 AM   #15

Name: Tammie
Trailer: ParkLiner
Alabama
Hi Conrad,
Check your private messages regarding a possible sighting!
Tammie
Tammie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar panel