Winter Project Hunter Compact II - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-20-2015, 09:54 AM   #29

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Answers for others

Hmmmm so you are into it for $131, just about the cost of a PD-4045, but that's yesterdays story..... To answer your questions.

You normally hard-wire the converter to the battery so that every time AC power is applied, and the converter is turned on, the battery also gets 12 volts. In short, I wouldn't ever allow the battery charger to be the sole source of DC power, it should always be connected to the battery. Remember, it was sold as a "Battery Charger" not a converter.

Overnight I did remember a problem we have with our Airstream when we full-timed many years ago. It had a battery charger and a monster 8D battery for the DC power. However, we could not use the 12VDC TV, the AM/FM radio or the CB Radio when connected to shore power if the battery charger was ON. Battery chargers may not have a clean output and, in our case, it put a buzz on the DC line. This might also cause some issues with things like computers and phone chargers etc. Watch for it.

Because each branch breaker protects a particular branch and the Main breaker limits the total capacity of the input cable, the added up value of the circuit breakers can exceed the main. For example, you wouldn't use the 15 amp outlet breaker for a 1500 watt electric heater at the same time as the 20 amp breaker for an A/C.

Again, because of the parts you are using, I WOULD NOT connect the DC ground to any ground common to the AC side... period... Set up a separate ground point for all your DC circuits and connect the negative side of both the battery and the battery charger only to that point as well.

Bottom line... if there's any chance you can return these parts, that would be my #1 suggestion. #2 suggestion would to start a fresh thread.... lol.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:26 AM   #30

Name: Captain Longbelly
Trailer: Lots
Kentucky
Weather got bad here so I warmed up the garage and done a little work...started working on an under seat area A/C and this is what I had to work with

I applaud whoever encased all the 12 volt wiring in spray foam....

So I started digging...since I am replacing all the 12 volt wiring I didn't have to be to gentle

I eventually ended up with this

So I cut out the hole and test fitted it(will trim it out when finished)....I will add a large vent to the outside for the rear hot air and some vents on the bottom for side cooling and metal work to separate the two

Old 01-28-2015, 12:14 AM   #31

Kentucky
Took a little more time today and finished some more things on Hunter...I installed a switch to turn on the reverse lights to use for outside lights

And while I loved the look of the original 12v lights my wife said they were not bright enough...so I swapped them all out for simple LED lights

I then added some ventilation for the A/C to have sufficient air to sides and top

and last I relocated the pump

This weekend I hope to rewire all 12v and button everything up
Old 01-28-2015, 02:26 PM   #32

Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Virginia
Dear Capt. Longbelly, I had to totally wire my little camper also. I knew very little and had to read a lot. I did not have much money to do this with either. I found the advice of a few key members here invaluable, Bob Miller being one of them. There is a wealth of knowledge freely given on this website. Hopefully once your wiring is done you will not have to do it again.
I can appreciate all the hard work you are doing on your camper and wish you well. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:24 PM   #33

California
Hey Capt. L, lookin' better every time.
But how/where did you add the outside vents, and a drain for the condensate pan, for the a/c unit?
Old 01-29-2015, 02:20 AM   #34

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Hey Capt. L, lookin' better every time.
But how/where did you add the outside vents, and a drain for the condensate pan, for the a/c unit?
Bob the vent came today in this huge box....lol

I will try to get time to install it this weekend...the rear of the A/C hangs over the fiberglass part of the shell on the bottom so I installed a pan there to catch the water and drilled hole for it to exit underneath...the rear of A/C will vent directly outside...
Old 02-01-2015, 11:31 PM   #35

Kentucky
Found a little more time today to run all new 12v wiring

and finished up all the plumbing and sink

and put most of the cabinetry back together

tomorrow I hope to get some more things done
Old 02-02-2015, 12:12 AM   #36

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Washington
Registry
Looking good, Ky!
Nice job~

Fran
Old 02-03-2015, 01:14 AM   #37

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by francene View Post
Looking good, Ky!
Nice job~

Fran

Thanks...did a few more things today...

Old 02-03-2015, 02:24 AM   #38

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
I like your choice for the microwave location, is it going to have enough room for heat venting ?
Old 02-03-2015, 10:26 AM   #39

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Washington
Registry
Really like those light fixtures, Ky. Where did you get them?

Also that's a neat location for the microwave; did you do that or the former owner?

Those original light fixtures sure got corroded! Mine were, too. Better metal finishes these days, so the new lights should look good for a long time.

Keep plugging!

Fran
Old 02-03-2015, 10:35 AM   #40

California
I don't know if finishes are better, those are 40+ year old fixtures, the ones I took out looked about the same.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:07 AM   #41

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
I like your choice for the microwave location, is it going to have enough room for heat venting ?
It has a lot of room behind it and above...I think it will be fine
Old 02-04-2015, 02:12 AM   #42

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by francene View Post
Really like those light fixtures, Ky. Where did you get them?

Also that's a neat location for the microwave; did you do that or the former owner?

Those original light fixtures sure got corroded! Mine were, too. Better metal finishes these days, so the new lights should look good for a long time.

Keep plugging!

Fran
I picked the lights up at Lowes...they were designed as tabletop spots and I took them apart and re-purposed them...

I cut the hole for the Microwave...it's the same location I used in my 29ft Airstream...