Wiring a Vent Fan in a Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Indiana
Wiring a Vent Fan in a Scamp

I'm thinking about installing a vent fan in my Scamp 16 std. I'm wondering about the best way to route the 12 volt wire. Can I tap into 12 Volts at the light above the dinette? How do you run wire under the fur to the vent opening. Any and all suggestions are appreciated,

Smiles, Tom
FlyboyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Tom, here are a few thoughts:

For power, you can tap into the 12V light above your dinette, ONLY if you can be certain not to overload that particular circuit.

A long, stiff wire can be pushed and cajoled UNDER the rat fur and reflectix insulation along the shell from your vent location to your power source. Hook on to your new power supply wires (18ga lamp wire works great for this app) and pull through.

As an alternative, you could cut a straight line through the rat fur and reflectix insulation, push your power supply wires under the materials and re-glue the materials to the shell. If you don't like the "scar" you could cover that seam the same way Scamp covers theirs.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #3

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I added a Fantastic Fan over the table area in 16 SD so I could have a nice breeze on hot nights.
After I cut the hole for the fan I ran a coat hanger through the insulation to the Cabinet over the stove.
I ran wires down to the area behind the refer and used the 12v supply for the refer.
I also added a 12v outlet on the end of the same cabinet for my TV/VCR hookup while I was running the wires.
I used lamp cord for that short run because it does not show under the Rat Fur.
I hope this helps.

John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp