Wiring a vent fan in Burro - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2017, 07:45 AM   #1

Name: Jeanne
Trailer: Burro
New Jersey
Wiring a vent fan in Burro

Hi. We have a 1999 Burro with a nice big fancy vent in the roof that really doesn't do much. We want to replace it with a vent fan. Has anyone done this? It seems the wiring will be the big issue. Are the wires easy to fish and connect? Also, the roof assembly thing that is there now is huge. Do we leave that or remove it and just have the new fan assembly?

Thank you for any help anyone can offer.
JeanneJerseyCorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:26 AM   #2

North Carolina
I'd take the entire vent assembly off and clean up any adhesives that are left up there.

I wired my fan from the factory opening over the stove to the lower drivers side storage area where my wiring junction is located. The wire was stiff enough to push through itself without any wire fishing tools. My Burro came without insulation so it was a pretty easy job.

Nice to 'meet' someone else with the same spelling.

Jeanne
Jeanne D. in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:30 PM   #3

Name: Vicki
Trailer: Casita 16' Freedom Deluxe
Missouri
Fan

Where did you run wires to get power for the fan?
My 1995 16' Casita just has a vent on the roof, no fan.
Vicki
GlassCastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:37 PM   #4

North Carolina
The battery is on the tongue and I've run power to a fuse box in the trailer. There is storage in the front driver's side that I used for the fuse box, solar controller and tow wiring.

There's probably a point to connect near the battery but a Casita owner would know better.
Jeanne D. in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:04 PM   #5

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCastle View Post
Where did you run wires to get power for the fan?
My 1995 16' Casita just has a vent on the roof, no fan.
Vicki
I ran my wire under the headliner and installed a Fantastic Vent.
Attached Thumbnails
20170716_214405.jpg  
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:31 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
In my 79 Boler, I ran the wire under the ensolite to the back cubby where I picked up a hot line that feed the lights that are mounted under cubby, over table. Use a straightend out coat hanger to make a wire-fish if you do not have a regular one. Just make a u-bend at the end of the hanger, and put electrical tape on this bend so it wont poke a hole in ensolite, when in the location you want it to end, slice the ensolite and with pliers pull it down and keep pushing from Vent end.
Take tape off put your new wire to this u-bend in hanger, Tape well so it will stay together and not hook on the ensolite when pulling back out.
" Voilla " you got your wire in with just a little 1/6 inch ripple in the ceiling.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:48 PM   #7

New Jersey
So he did it... the genius man I married some time ago. Last weekend, in 2 days, he put the new fan in... took out a light that was right over the stove ... it needed to go anyway because I expect to use the stove... I don't think many have... So he fished the wire down through the ceiling and right to the cabinet above the stove and there it was... all hidden... all nice... just perfect... wish it was a little stronger. It's a fantastic fan... i forget the model, but 3 speed 2 way.... Now I wonder, do we need one of those big high protector things on top of it? I see them offered with the fans as an accessory. Ok, so he did the fan. He freed the back window and put the window gasket back in. Now we have a back window again... althought we are going to replace the lexan window because it came to us with cracks and now it's worse. It's ok for now, but the replacement plastic is on the way. Then, he pulled up the entire floor to see if all was good underneath... and it was... fiberglass floor was in great shape... only thing we did find was that under one of the bench seats that becomes the bed, the fiberglass in cracked badly... looks like it was stressed by someone or something heavy. Husband thinks he will have no trouble putting a support beneath that will solve the problem. So he put all the rubber floor tiles back down after cleaning it and laid wall to wall indoor outdoor on top!!! woo hoo! Spunky looks really great! Now we are trying to figure out how to change the bed itself as we want to get rid of the giant table thing that weighs 9000lbs and I can't move around by myself. So that's where we are... total rubes in the rv world... we don't even understand how the electric thing works... we plug the big plug into our house... does that mean nothing is running off the battery? does it switch automatically? little green behind the ears, think? thanks for your input folks!!!
Old 08-25-2017, 06:14 AM   #8

New Jersey
Can't figure out how...

So we have this great fan and these great lights, but they are only connected to the battery... how do we get them connected to the electric that we plug in at a site ... or to our house? The battery runs out... is there a switch or something? hmmmm...
Old 08-25-2017, 07:06 AM   #9

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneJerseyCorn View Post
So we have this great fan and these great lights, but they are only connected to the battery... how do we get them connected to the electric that we plug in at a site ... or to our house? The battery runs out... is there a switch or something? hmmmm...
Hi! If you have a converter, unhook those items from the battery and hook them to a fuse location (accessory?) on the 12v panel on the converter. That will make the lights/fan run when plugged in. Actually only the power side would go to the fuse lug, and the ground would go to the ground bar. There should be other 12v items on that board to see how they hook in.
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:32 PM   #10

New Jersey
Red face Conferring with the flowers...

I do have a converter... but I do not know if it functions at all. It's a New Mark 30amp thingie... but I have no idea how to unhook particular items from the battery and hook up to a fuse location. As far as I know, the only thing that is running off of the electric plug in the back is a receptacle that was installed in the front of the sink/stove. I'm trying to figure out why the battery does not automatically charge when it's plugged in. Then the lights and fan would work without issue... I thought that's what it was supposed to do... I suspect that we need a new converter, but I have no idea how to tell. My husband says, how do we know we don't need a new battery??? Is the 12 volt panel the one with all the fuses? I don't know how to tell what is what... We are electric ignorant! Fan worked great off battery until it died... Now, no lights ... no fan ... no battery getting charged. I really think I might need a new converter... the people who had it prior to us used only a solar panel they said to charge the battery...probably cuz the converter was kaput or else they didn't understand it either... I dunno... Are converters expensive? I keep thinking maybe there's a switch someplace that I just haven't thrown and it would all work! Wishful thinking I suppose...

Hi! If you have a converter, unhook those items from the battery and hook them to a fuse location (accessory?) on the 12v panel on the converter. That will make the lights/fan run when plugged in. Actually only the power side would go to the fuse lug, and the ground would go to the ground bar. There should be other 12v items on that board to see how they hook in.

Tags
burro