Wiring help needed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Wiring help needed

I will be attaching two 40-watt solar panels and running them through a 15 amp controller. I'm installing a monitor for which the negative will be wired through a shunt to the battery. When wiring the controller, do I connect the negative to the shunt or directly to the battery? Should I include fuses or breakers in either connection and if so, where?

Thanks in advance for your help,

David
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretcher View Post
I will be attaching two 40-watt solar panels and running them through a 15 amp controller. I'm installing a monitor for which the negative will be wired through a shunt to the battery. When wiring the controller, do I connect the negative to the shunt or directly to the battery?
I think that it depends on what the monitor is designed to measure. Typically a shunt is used to facilitate an ammeter. Does this monitor calculate total input and output from the battery?

Quote:
Should I include fuses or breakers in either connection and if so, where?
I'd at a minimum have a fuse or circuit breaker at the battery positive to protect the wires leading from the battery.

Quote:
Thanks in advance for your help,

David
Old 10-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #3

Massachusetts
reply to Thomas G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I think that it depends on what the monitor is designed to measure. Typically a shunt is used to facilitate an ammeter. Does this monitor calculate total input and output from the battery?

Yes, it does measure input and output. Tri-metric TR 2025RV

I'd at a minimum have a fuse or circuit breaker at the battery positive to protect the wires leading from the battery.
What size?

Thanks,

David
Old 10-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretcher View Post
What size?

Thanks,

David

OK, here is the installation PDF - http://www.bogartengineering.com/sit...ctions9-12.pdf

It looks like it hooks between the battery negative and the common ground connection.

The fuse must be small enough to protect the wire leading from the battery, but large enough to not blow under normal usage. What gauge wire leads from the battery positive terminal?
Old 10-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #5

Massachusetts
Thanks Tom!
Old 10-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #6

Name: Drew
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
Registry
One thing to mention, ensure your wire gauge from the battery terminal to the shunt is large enough (and short) in case you have multiple connections on the non-battery side of the shunt. Mine works great, one of the best things I've added is my TriMetric meter.