Wiring Inverter, Converter, and Power Transfer Relays. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Modifications, Alterations and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-31-2008, 01:28 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">I am in the process to getting 21' Bigfoot trailer. I purchased Xantrex 80Amp converter/intelligent charger (3 battery banks) to replace PPS 7300 single phase charging converter, AIMS 1500 Digital Inverter and I am designing a complete electrical system. Ground and the neutral will be connected at all power sources.</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">I would welcome any feedback regarding this design. Attached are 3 slides 3 modes of operando, Shoreline, Generator, and Inverter power.</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">George.</span>
Attached Thumbnails
Shore_power.jpg   Generator_power.jpg  

Inverter_power.jpg  
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:14 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
When I investigated this I was going to "plug" the inverter into a dedicated AC breaker. Then any item to be run by inverter power plugged into the inverter. The inverter handles the switching between the AC and the battery.

I understand the ATS301 between the breaker box and the AC inlets but I wouldn't have thought it was appropriate on the inverter side. But, I can't tell whether the AIMS inverter includes automatic switching.

I expect you'll want some pretty serious diameter wires running from the battery to the inverter.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:32 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
As Steve said you're gonna need some pretty big wire. According the charts 125Amp line will need at least a AWG 4 wire. AWG 4 conductor is almost 1/4" in diameter, then add insulation probably a bit over 1/4" maybe up to 3/8".

Another thing, all electrical equipment runs on smoke, when you let the smoke out they stop working. With the kind of current you're talking about letting the smoke out could happen pretty fast, then it spreads to fiberglass, rugs, etc. Make sure you're insurance is paid up and will cover modified electrical systems.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:50 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Thank you for your feedback. I want to permanently wire the inverter for convenience. I am sure that just plugging directly into the inverter outlets would be easier. The AIMS Digital inverter does not have power transfer relay built in so I added ATS301 ($51). </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"> </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Byron, you have a good point regarding potential insurance issue with electrical modification. Less modification would be better. I need to rethink my approach. </span>

George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote