Wisp (Boler knock-off???) Remodel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2015, 02:39 PM   #1

Name: MikeM
Trailer: Wisp
Texas
Wisp (Boler knock-off???) Remodel

I don't know if remodel, renovation or repair is the right terminology. Probably none of the above. But, here we are at phase 6, roadworthy with new tires, new jack, new wiring for old running lights, bracing welded to the frame, bearings repacked, etc. I pulled it down the road at 55mph and it is light as a feather. 500 pounds or so, estimate. So light that it bounces when I hit a bump. Will that calm down a little with more cargo weight, etc?

I'm sure that renovation & remodel will not fit most of your definitions since this thing is mostly going to be a hard sided tent with a/c & at least rudimentary bathroom. It's certainly not going to be as nice as most of y'all's really beautiful rigs but hopefully it will be functional and sufficient for boondocking on the beach.

I have some good friends that have a really nice 17 ft Casita but I'm just not comfortable yet pulling that big of a rig with our little olé Jeep. Hopefully we'll get something bigger and prettier later. Maybe get the wife a "Glimmer" that we can leave down there.

Anyway, here it is attached to the tow vehicle. I'm wanting to paint it the same color in bed liner. ??? A friend of mine who is a body man said that if the gel coat is not good any more it would just soak up regular paint. I think that may be what happened when the guy I bought it from tried to paint it green(ish). Yes that is actually paint & not just pollen/slime. I've tried to scrub it off and it does wash off a little but not completely. Body man friend confirmed that a rubberized paint like bed liner would probably work. Any thoughts????

Thanks for any help,

Mike

P.S. Couple of other quick questions. There isn't a serial # tag that I can find (on tounge in only other Wisp pic I've seen). Any other suggestions as to where I might find it? Also, I just have a 2in drop on at the moment. I have a 6 inch drop hitch. Would that be better?
Attached Thumbnails
Wisp with Jeep 1 sm.jpg   Wisp with Jeep 2 sm.jpg  

Wisp tounge sm.jpg  
MikeM1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 03:41 PM   #2

Name: Martin
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Best towing will be with trailer level or a little nose down.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Raff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 03:52 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I'd bet you will find it is a lot closer to 900-1000 lbs. than to 500 lbs. You might want to get an actual weight so you can keep track of your tongue weight more accurately.

And, especially with very light trailers, being nose up tends to reduce tongue weight, not a good thing, you want to be level to slightly nose down.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:42 PM   #4

Name: MikeM
Trailer: Wisp
Texas
Another silly question. The shell of the camper itself is only 10 ft long inside if I stretch it (6'2 tall btw). From back bumper to tounge hitch it is 13 ft, (again, if I stretch it). Does this make it a 13 ft camper or a 10 footer?

BTW, meant to say "glamper", not "glimmer" in the post above. Dang autocorrect.

I'll get it weighed just to see what it really weighs, but there is really not much to it. Mostly just two benches & a little counter in front with a small sink & a 3 burner camp stove. (I'm planning on cutting this counter out to make the bathroom space).
MikeM1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:08 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Wisp (Boler knock-off???) Remodel

The convention among molded fiberglass manufacturers is to use the total length, so this would be considered a 13' trailer.

The convention among stickies appears to be cabin length, and I've never heard why it isn't consistent across the industry.

As you build out the interior, will you be providing for some roof support? Most of the Boler-derived designs rely on some of the interior cabinetry to add rigidity to the shell. Without it, the shell can sag, resulting in improper door fit and other problems (including complete failure under snow loads).
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler