Wood Stove inside 13’ Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2018, 01:24 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You could just install a chimney in the Scamp, sit outside and toss fire logs in through the door.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:00 PM   #22

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You could just install a chimney in the Scamp, sit outside and toss fire logs in through the door.

You may think you're kidding but I'm actually contemplating a sort of version of the above myself except that in my case it's the HEAT I'd be throwing into the trailer. I've been lusting after one of those folding wood stoves (outdoor use only lol) for use in the porch area provided by my pulldown awning. Purpose being to reflect the heat into the trailer interior from my still-hazy but hoped for cleverly designed super special heat producing room that encloses the whole area, contains a chimney and outside air supply, packs into a matchbox, and weighs less than 6 ounces!

Still a few kinks to work out but stay tuned
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:29 PM   #23

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Since most trailers use propane anyways, you could go with a propane fireplace such as the one sold by Dickinson Marine for use in boats. Looks like it could work in some trailers also.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:55 PM   #24

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebell View Post
I’m continuing to do a lot of reading & YouTube watching as I’m dreaming about my next phase of life. I saw this today and thought others may find it interesting. BTW, I’m an owner of a 13’ Scamp yet really considering something just a bit larger.

https://youtu.be/zzq2MlX8kRo

Are you serious..you'll cook yourself out but will freeze before morning as it won't hold a fire for 6+hours.
panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:52 PM   #25

Name: Wil
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I didn't see anything in that vid that indicated they provided an outside air supply for combustion, a critical element when burning solid fuel. Room air's going to be depleted so fast it will make their heads spin (assuming they're still conscious enough to notice) It fascinates me that this always comes up when we're discussing propane heaters but so rarely does when the subject of this far greater consumer of room air does. Unlike radiant propane heaters, a wood stove can't even be installed/used in the biggest, leakiest stationary mobile home unless plumbed for outside combustion air. But some folks think it's a good idea to do so in a practically airtight tiny fiberglass enclosure. Go figure!

With respect to oxygen depletion consider this difference between propane and wood.

The propane heaters we usually consider are the non-vented (no chimney) type. The first worry is CO. If the propane burns clean there is no CO (theoretically). But it does burn oxygen and with no venting to exhaust the oxygen depleted air there is also no fresh air being drawn in. Hence an oxygen depletion problem.

Wood stoves are vented (have a chimney). Otherwise your trailer would be filled with smoke in no time. Long before CO would become a problem. So the combustion products along with a lot of air go up the chimney. Whether the air that replaces that going up the chimney comes in through a dedicated air duct or just any old leaks around windows and doors, it replaces the oxygen depleted air that goes up the chimney. No oxygen depletion problem. If you have a tight trailer and no fresh air comes in you won't get a draft through your stove and you will have other problem. Like it just won't burn. You'd have to open a window or something enough to let some air in. The reason for the dedicated inlet duct is to prevent the room (trailer) air being used for combustion. It goes straight to and through the stove without cooling the room. Hence increasing the heating efficiency. That's the problem the regulations are concerned with; heating efficiency, not oxygen depletion.

I have lived in homes with wood stoves since I was a kid, no problems. But I don't think I would want one in a small trailer because of a myriad of thermal problems. Just no way to get sufficient clearance to prevent overheating of surrounding stuff. Or having something accidentally coming in contact with it.
wilyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:47 AM   #26

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
I don't understand why anyone would want to put a wood burner in one of these campers. If you insist on one, please provide combustion air. Just remembering to open a window isn't a good idea. Someone is going to forget to do it. I don't want to be reading about you guys in the headlines. 1 square inch per 1000 BTU. I'm not putting one in mine It is too easy to heat with a little electric heater or the camper furnace. Or even a buddy heater that has safety features.
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:03 AM   #27

Name: Steve
Trailer: '87 13'scamp, 2006 Chevy1500
FL / MN
wow - I didn't know this would create such a discussion. I just thought the video showed a clever idea. personal preference is huge, I do not believe one way or the other is the CORRECT answer. look at this site - most here have (or live in) a fiberglassRV - how many "others" out there who own RV's would never have a fiberglassRV. I am thankful for the diversity of people and the community that is created.

I like the idea of the wood stove so you don't have to use propane (which you need to use some battery to run the furnace blower) or electric heat. I'm cheap and try to save $$ in many ways.
stevebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:24 AM   #28

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartin748 View Post
I don't understand why anyone would want to put a wood burner in one of these campers. .....
It is too easy to heat with a little electric heater or the camper furnace. ...
Tim did it because he is living the the camper while it is stationary for an extended time (all winter IIRC) and he has an unlimited supply of free wood for the stove. Apparently he has no access to electric service and it is a also long haul to get propane. Further, he likes the ambiance and the fact he is not dependent on suppliers. So for him it is not really much different than heating a small cabin.

Elsa also mentions that the stove has to be taken out before moving the camper. These folks have an unusual living situation in their campers and have given considerable thought about how to heat it and how to heat it safely. The video only touches on the discussions about this stove that I have seen elsewhere and no doubt I have only seen a fraction of the work that has gone into these projects.

It is not for me, to be sure, and I was very critical in my unexpressed thoughts on this idea at first. As learned more about it, I still thought it was not for me, but it was more practical and reasonable than I first thought. So I was glad I did not express my trepidation until I learned more about it.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:09 AM   #29

Name: lewis
Trailer: In the market
Arizona
First of all I wish you the best of luck for your new phase of life and Second If you are thinking a bigger then you should consider these points before installing a wood stove in your RV
Here are three imperative elements to think about when first taking a gander at a wood stove for your RV: measure, warming needs, and spending plan. In any case, before all that, it's imperative to initially recall that manufactured house wood stove is totally unique in relation to site-assembled stoves. They don't work indistinguishable route from most home wood stove in that they're littler, intended to sit securely up against dividers, and are associated with smaller pipes. So ensure you're taking a gander at the RV wood stove and not home stoves when you begin looking!

Measure: The main thing to see when choosing a stoves to purchase is its size. On the off chance that you are searching for a standard rural RV wood stove, you will need to keep to quit certain estimations. While on the off chance that you choose to run with an electric radiator, you aren't as constrained in space. The bigger the wood stove, the more warmth/zone it's probably going to cover too. In any case, remember, the zone both of these heaters give warmth to can change incredibly. Which takes us to our next point-

Warming needs: Another critical territory to think about when seeing stoves is the span of the space you need to warm. For instance, do you need something that warms your whole RV or would you say you are searching for something with progressively limited warmth? Propane/Gas heaters regularly gone through vents, pushing tourist throughout the entire RV, while electric heaters typically give warmth to a little territory.

Spending parameters: Lastly, what are you willing to spend? All things considered, the sum you pay for a stoves normally stretches out past the underlying asking cost. For instance, solicit yourself "Will the productivity from the radiator lead for the reserve funds past it cost?" You ought to likewise consider the state of your ventilation work and any frill that might be important to work the woodstove –, for example, an indoor regulator or a filtration framework for sensitivities.
lewiswhite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp