Work has started on the Porto II - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Boler ('Le Porto II') / 2006 Pontiac Torrent
Hello everyone

Here I am, well into the biggest part of the renovation: the frame. And its a good thing i removed it. The front had broken at some point and repaired but it was so badly done that it was about to break again. On the 4 corners of the frame you will see that i added supports for the floor as i noticed that the floor was sagging a little. Notice the steel plate that was used to reinforce the front part of the frame. I also changed the axle for one with brakes. All that work was done by a friend. What a great job he did.

Ill keep you posted. Tommorrow im putting the frame back under the shell, and then it will be time to work on it.
Attached Images

Dominique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 1978 Boler 1700
That frame looks good and strong. Are you putting any foam tape to cushion the shell to the frame? I purchased a 30 ft roll from Home Depot. Could have used about another 3 - 5 ft.
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer_Frame_9A.jpg  
Don N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:38 PM   #3

And the work continus

Here is what I have done so far:

Picture 1: Added am aluminium plate in front. I got the idea here, but i dont remember whos Boler it was. Anyway, thanks for the idea.

Picture 2: The hinge side of the door didnt have the same profile as the handle side. So I removed the steel bar and cut this board using the handle side as a template. Its now a perfect match.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC06476_2.jpg   DSC06477_2.jpg  

Old 04-16-2009, 03:46 PM   #4

Now the door looks good.

Before i had work done on the frame, the hinge side of the door was about 1/2 inch lower then the handle side. But now, with the new frame, and with the reinforcement i did inside, it fits almost perfectly in the opening. I also used the steel bar that was inside, straightened it and screwed in top of the door under the insolite. It was bent inward a little. Its now perfectly straight.

Attached Thumbnails
DSC06479_2.jpg   DSC06478_2.jpg  

Old 04-16-2009, 05:54 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Dominique,

Looking good!

How did you attach the little "bulkhead" that you put inside the trailer (the one where the square bar used to be)? I've been thinking of adding something like that for a mini coat closet that would also be a good strengthener, and maybe a place to mount a screen door.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:18 PM   #6

Hello Raya

I simply drilled thru the fiberglass and screwed it every 6 inches. The line where the screws are is the same as the old screws that were holding the square metal rod.

Hope that helps

Dom
Old 04-20-2009, 04:11 PM   #7

What color should I paint Porto II ???????

Hello all, I need your help for the color of my Boler. As you can see my car is deep blue. Here is where i stand right now: I need 1 gallon if i go with one color or two 1L can of each color if i go with 2 colors. Im thinking if I go all blue that it would be kinda hot inside but it would look good would it? My second idea would be to paint the bottom blue and the top. And then theres my 2 nieces who would love to see it painted lime green to give it a retro look.

Im open to ANY suggestions, ill be painting it this weekend

TY

Dom
Attached Thumbnails
DSC06494_2.jpg  
Old 04-20-2009, 06:32 PM   #8

Trailer: Trillium 4500 and 17 ft Eggcamper
Quote:
What color should I paint Porto II ???????

Hello all, I need your help for the color of my Boler. As you can see my car is deep blue. Here is where i stand right now: I need 1 gallon if i go with one color or two 1L can of each color if i go with 2 colors. Im thinking if I go all blue that it would be kinda hot inside but it would look good would it? My second idea would be to paint the bottom blue and the top. And then theres my 2 nieces who would love to see it painted lime green to give it a retro look.

Im open to ANY suggestions, ill be painting it this weekend

TY

Dom
Dominique, why paint it at all? I would just clean it up and use your favorite wax, polish or one of the other products discussed on this site. White goes with anything, and there have been some recent discussions of flames, if you find white too boring. Maybe with dark blue trim? Just my two cents worth! Vi
Vi Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:03 PM   #9

I have no choice to paint it. Im doing body work right now, I just redid the door. The inside was all rotten. That was a big job. Keep your ideas coming. Who knows, you might see your idea on the road one day.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:42 PM   #10

Trailer: 1994 Lite House
blue to match the tv on the bottom and silver grey on the top to match the wheels. with the door silver.
curtis c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:39 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Here's a terrific topic full of all kinds of eggs that have been painted: Paint Jobs, Real and Imagined. (Not a How To thread), maybe you can find inspiration within the pages and pictures.

I vote for a white trailer and terrific graphics. That way, you can change the graphics if you sell the present tug and get one of a different color.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:41 AM   #12

Trailer: 73 Boler (modified)
the wife and i came across thomas haney's egg, and we've decided to paint ours in similar fashion.

Attached Thumbnails
skimp.jpg  
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:57 PM   #13

Now the fridge......

I bought a used 3-way fridge and i need to install it now. I know i need an acces door at the bottom and that shouldnt be a problem. However, i dont know how to redirect the chimney to the outside thru the upper grill. The fridge is a Dometic, and the chimney is about 4 inch wide and 1/2 inch deep. Anyone know a website where they explain the setup?

ty in advance

Old 04-21-2009, 08:33 PM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Anyone know a website where they explain the setup?
Link to refrigerator venting website
Old 04-22-2009, 05:12 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
I vote for a white trailer and terrific graphics. That way, you can change the graphics if you sell the present tug and get one of a different color.
I agree with Donna. The graphics can be blue and silver.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:15 PM   #16

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
The hinge side of the door didnt have the same profile as the handle side. So I removed the steel bar and cut this board using the handle side as a template.

Looks good Dominique. The wood support on the hinge side can now be used for the screen door mod if you want. It is an interesting approach to solving the typical body sag. A little different than how I did mine, but just as effective.

I don't know what fridge you have, but you might get some ideas from how I improved the fridge venting on my boler American. I got the ideas from the link Frederick provided above.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:45 PM   #17

Porto II is out of the garage. Here is the final product, minus the windows and the door handle
On the second picture, even if its a bit over exposed, you can see how nicely the door fits now. On the final pic, i wanted to show what i did to the threshold of the door. I didnt want to reinstall the aluminium plate so i fiberglassed that part. All i have left to do now is to glue the weatherstripping. A few more nights of work (im thinking more like 15-20!!!!) and ill be ready to go. Cant wait to go camping.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC06497_2.jpg   DSC06498_2.jpg  

DSC06499_2.jpg  
Old 04-29-2009, 06:54 PM   #18

Trailer: 1994 Lite House
nice work. paint looks good.
curtis c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:15 PM   #19

IM ALMOST DONE!!!!!

Here are the last mods i did:

- new doors and "drawers" in the closet. The insert of the door is "arborite" glued on a 1/8 inch panel
Attached Thumbnails
DSC08022_2.jpg   DSC08023_3.jpg  

DSC08024_2.jpg  
Old 05-24-2009, 04:26 PM   #20

NEW MODS... TAKE 2

Awesome bike rack at the back, thanks to my brother-in-law, installed the battery and propane tank in front. Notice how i extended the handle so its over the battery box. The 12V system is all done as well, notice the battery charger on top. All i have left to do is to connect the accessories.

Attached Thumbnails
DSC08028_2.jpg   DSC08027_2.jpg  

Attached Images