Work In Progress - '75 Boler 13 - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2011, 12:16 AM   #41

Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300
Registry
Forgot to mention the burner rings. They were also badly rusted and I sanded the heck out of them with my detail sander using coarse pads. I painted them with high temperature barbeque paint. I suspect that originally they would have been coated with a gloss product like the grills on a new barbeque but the paint I used has a flat finish.
Randy D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #42

Registry
Porch Light

I wired up a porch light with an illuminated interior switch. The light has a switch as well (couldn't find a switchless one) so it can be turned off while outside. The inside switch must be on for the outside one to have an effect. I chose no to go the three-way route at this point.
Attached Thumbnails
Porch Light On.JPG   Porch Light Switch.JPG  

Old 02-08-2011, 09:24 PM   #43

Registry
Ice Box & Cushions

Last summer I bought a used ice box from a nice couple who live about an hour from here in Olds Alberta. As it happens the ice box is a robin egg colour which had absolutely nothing to do with my final choice of exterior paint but simply worked out. I did a trial install the other day since the screw and bolt holes didn't match up with my old one. I will have to pull it out again when I put the front bench in but that has to wait for the trailer door installation. I scavenged the latch and a couple of other parts from my destroyed one before I chucked it out. I also couldn't wait to see how my new cushions look in the trailer so I stuck three in today. The new table is visible in one of the pictures. I am not finished with it yet, just checked the fit etc. I spent the afternoon cutting my new cabinet doors so they will be ready before long.
Attached Thumbnails
Ice Box-2.JPG   Ice Box-4.JPG  

Cushion Sample-2.JPG   Cushion Sample-3.JPG  

Old 02-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #44

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Wonderful job, and the cushions are FUN FUN FUN!!!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:34 PM   #45

Name: Sam
Trailer: 1977 Boler
Kansas
the new upholstery (and all of your work, really) looks terrific. I just got a great deal on a big bolt of purple fabric, so I'm happy to see how great your bold colors look : )

-- Jess
Sam and Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:43 PM   #46

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Those cushions are wild, and they're begging for a 12v black light or maybe a lava lamp accessory!

Regards,

Matt
Old 02-09-2011, 06:43 AM   #47

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I love the fabric! Trailers need to be light and bright and I think you've nailed that. Too cool!!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #48

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
I agree, the fabric is great. Nice work. Looks like it's almost done.
DannyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:58 PM   #49

Registry
Fabric

Thanks for the compliments folks. I must say that my fabric choice (made a year ago exactly) has recently caused me a few problems with further color selections. For example, my cupboard doors and table. I was looking for a retro laminate (Formica etc.) and found several that are really nice but they all clash with the cushion fabric. I did the walls white and the cabinets another neutral color because I knew that the cushion fabric would bring everything to life. I am going for the green in the cushions for my curtains but now I am struggling with a color for my doors and table.
My son commented the other day that "It's almost as though you picked the cushion fabric before anything else." which is totally true.
The doors are cut and the edges routered waiting for hinges and installation, but since I now plan to paint them with enamel I am stumped. I am sure I will come up with something soon because the alternative is stalling the reno and I can't let that happen can I?
The two extra doors are for covering the holes cut into the back benches that had speakers installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Cupboard Doors-1.JPG   Cupboard Doors-3.JPG  

Old 02-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #50

Registry
Automatic Door Courtesy Light

I completed the modifications to my light sensing, motion detecting light that is now mounted in the hole where a cd player had been installed. I noticed that the battery powered light I used was wired with 4 AA batteries and running at 6 volts. Rather than install it with batteries I decided to fashion a voltage divider circuit (based on Kirchoff's voltage law) so that it can run off of the trailer battery. I used two 1K Ohm resistors to split the voltage so that it is in the 6 volt range. If anyone is interested in a drawing contact me and I will attempt a diagram. I took the circuit board out of the case, soldered the resistors in and wired it up. The cover is a piece of the plastic lens from a broken light fixture that I had not bothered to throw out. I put some plastic trim around the hole and glued a wood backing inside the closet. I also wired up another illuminated switch to turn it off when I am inside and don't need the light going on every time there is movement. This is obviously not a critical modification for getting the Boler on the road but I was waiting for the paint to dry on my cabinet doors.
Attached Thumbnails
Completed Courtesy Light.JPG   Courtesy Light In Operation-2.JPG  

Second Light Switch In.JPG  
Old 02-14-2011, 09:54 PM   #51

Registry
Square Holes

Still waiting for high gloss enamel to dry so I squared off the holes in the back benches where the cd player speakers were hacked in. I needed a backing for the door hinges so I glued some plywood strips to the glass, thus the clamps. I won't reveal the colour of the cabinet door paint just yet because I don't know if it was a good choice. I pulled a colour out of the cushion cover fabric. Hope it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Squared Speaker Hole Clamped-1.JPG   Squared Speaker Hole Clamped-2.JPG  

Old 02-15-2011, 12:11 AM   #52

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft (Fluffer-Nugget)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy D. View Post
I won't reveal the colour of the cabinet door paint just yet because I don't know if it was a good choice. I pulled a colour out of the cushion cover fabric. Hope it works.
I vote for Fuchsia....Very manly!
Emily R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:29 AM   #53

Trailer: Aliner
Quote:
Those cushions are wild, and they're begging for a 12v black light or maybe a lava lamp accessory!

Regards,

Matt
Does that ever bring back memories!
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:44 PM   #54

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily R. View Post
I vote for Fuchsia....Very manly!
We're picking the green, I don't really like green but my ice box and cook top are green and it works ok.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:22 PM   #55

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft (Fluffer-Nugget)
Registry
Green will look awesome with those cushions....Can't wait to see it all together...Very inspiring!
Emily R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:03 AM   #56

Registry
Curtains

I was planning on using the green in the cushion fabric for the curtains but my seamstress (a close family member) happened to have some cotton canvas on hand and using the left over material from the cushions, which she also created, she came up with these. The ones on the side can be rolled up and held by velcro that is attached to the strips on each side as shown in the photos. A great idea. The fabric is fairly heavy so it is not hanging straight yet, we just had to see them in.
Attached Thumbnails
Curtains-1.JPG   Curtains-2.JPG  

Curtains-3.JPG   Curtain Down-1.JPG  

Old 02-17-2011, 12:14 AM   #57

Registry
Cupboard Doors

Thanks for the colour suggestions everyone. I took one of the small cushions into the paint shop and ended up matching the light blue in a high gloss enamel. Talk about bright. I did three coats on the doors as well as the panel in the ice box and table. I hung the doors today but still have to find suitable latches of some kind. The hinges are self closing and work well but will not handle travel. I have two more to hang to cover the old speaker holes in the benches.
Attached Thumbnails
Upper Doors On-1.JPG   Drawer On.JPG  

Lower Doors On-1.JPG   Closet Door On-2.JPG  

Old 02-17-2011, 12:27 AM   #58

Registry
Table

The same person who did the cushions and curtains suggested a Boler logo for the table. I took the logo pdf available on this site and printed it. I scanned the printout to a jpeg file and then cropped and re-sized it so that I could print it in the size I needed. The printout was used to create a hand cut stencil made of masking tape and then it was painted on the table top. I am going to spray it with a can of clearcoat to protect the acrylic paint she used. I polished the original aluminum band and drilled a bit of a taper into the 19 screw holes using a fairly large bit so that the new screws would lie flush with the edge. I also cleaned up the hardware and installed it. Here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Table In-1.JPG   Table Logo-1.JPG  

Old 02-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #59

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
The whole package looks great, if my 72 turns out even half that nice I will be happy.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:44 PM   #60

Registry
Thanks Greg. It is coming along. I am about ready to hang the door and as soon as I solve my problem with the roof vent hole it will be ready to use. Still lots of finishing touches to do but they can be dealt with over time.

Tags
boler, restorations