Work In Progress - '75 Boler 13 - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #81

Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300
Registry
Door Window Install

I had thought it was ready for the trash but gave it a last chance and finally worked out a way to get it cleaned, assembled and actually working again. Note the typical bent corner caused by the door swinging all the way into the trailer body while the window was open. The rubber from around the opening is missing and the seal around the frame is not in good shape but I decided to make do until I can get replacements. I used some glazing gasket both around the glass and the oval frame in the hope that it will be water tight until I can get the proper seals. I had to fill the top row of holes with epoxy since they had been drilled out beyond the screw size I am using. Also added a new nylon screen, the beading fit well under the folded metal edge except in the two spots where the crank attaches.
Attached Thumbnails
Door Window Cleaned-1.JPG   Door Window-3.JPG  

Door Window Inside-2.JPG  
Randy D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #82

Trailer: 2010 17 ft Escape B ('Cafe Egg')
Registry
What a beauty, very nice done!
Gerda, H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:55 PM   #83

Name: Maxine
Trailer: 69 Eriba Puck & 82 Perris Pacer
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy D. View Post
The tail lights, bumper and exposed frame are Tremclad gloss black. The body is marine enamel. I was told that they are virtually identical formulas.
Great job!
Maxine C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:15 PM   #84

Registry
Bed and Window

I had the bed set up the other day and shot a couple of pics. Also completed the installation of the door window. I mentioned before that I had to fill the top row of holes with epoxy due to their size and once it hardened I was able to put the new screws in. I actually tried the bed out the other day when my vehicle was in for repairs for the full day and I was stuck without transportaion. Took a short nap out of boredom. I bought new foam last year and chose the middle option in terms of firmness. Glad I did as they are firm but comforatble, any firmer would be too much.
Attached Thumbnails
Bed-7.JPG   Bed-8.JPG  

Door Window Complete-1.JPG   Door Window Complete-2.JPG  

Old 03-01-2011, 09:23 PM   #85

Registry
Clearcoat On Table

I bought a can of clear spray enamel and used the whole thing on the table top to protect the logo. The small pictures don't do it justice, it looks pretty darned good.
Attached Thumbnails
Logo With Clearcoat-2.JPG   Logo With Clearcoat-4.JPG  

Table With Clearcoat-3.JPG   Table With Clearcoat-4.JPG  

Old 03-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #86

Registry
A Little Metal Fabrication

I have never done any metal work and I surprised myself a bit with this. I didn't like the tiny door latch stop which I assume was factory made and decided to try to duplicate the shape in something a little larger. The only piece of metal I could find for this was a standard electrical box cover that I cut down a bit with a jigsaw. Using a bench vise and a hammer I managed to duplicate the shape pretty well (twice actually, I wrecked the first one using a bench grinder one time too many). There are three screws through the lip of the door as shown in one of the photos and three more that go into the closet. It isn't pretty but should be a little more secure than the old one.
Attached Thumbnails
Door Latch-2.JPG   Door Latch-3.JPG  

Door Latch-4.JPG   Door Latch-6.JPG  

Old 03-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #87

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Amazing---I'll have to put that in my "notebook"! Keep the ideas coming!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:42 PM   #88

Registry
Door Installation Completed

With the latch stop in place I added the foam weather strip that I purchased from Scamp and finished the door istallation. The fit is a little too tight and will require some tweaking but the door closes and locks. I do see some body distortion on the bottom hinge side but I have not seen many Bolers with a perfect door fit. Today I was wondering how many hours must have been spent messing with Boler doors over the years. I bet it would add up to the annual productivity numbers of many medium sized countries.
Attached Thumbnails
Door Installed-1.JPG   Door Installed-2.JPG  

Door Installed-3.JPG   Door Installed-4.JPG  

Old 03-01-2011, 10:12 PM   #89

Registry
Next Steps

The auto repair I mentioned above resulted in a bill for $1,399.67 so I am now officially out of money for the time being. I have five more major items to address on the Boler but they are going to have to wait for a bit because they all cost a little too much.
Water tank replacement.
Welding - coupler removed and replaced with the new one I have, battery tray added and safety chains attached.
Cupboard door latches - haven't figured out what to use but none of them are cheap.
Fantastic fan purchase.
Wheel bearings - might be able to do this one if they don't require replacement. Maybe I can borrow some grease from the mechanic that repaired my Escape.
Tomorrow I am going to move the trailer out of the heated bay it has been in for the past three months and squeeze it into a garage. I am way past the point of overstaying my welcome although it has never been mentioned (its my son's place after all, so is the garage). I hope to take pictures of the maiden voyage although the temperature is going to be -22C, significantly warmer than today, however. Anyone else longing for summer?
Old 03-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #90
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy D.
With the latch stop in place I added the foam weather strip that I purchased from Scamp and finished the door istallation. The fit is a little too tight and will require some tweaking but the door closes and locks. I do see some body distortion on the bottom hinge side but I have not seen many Bolers with a perfect door fit. Today I was wondering how many hours must have been spent messing with Boler doors over the years. I bet it would add up to the annual productivity numbers of many medium sized countries.
Randy,
The 71 Boler currently in my shop has the "grab and twist" door handle style similar to Scamps. Yours has the flush-mount, pull style that I prefer. Any idea where I can find one like yours, and do you think it would work as a replacement?
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:40 AM   #91

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Registry
Randy this is the second time I have viewed all you postings and I know it will not be the last. Thanks again for all your effort and time in getting this info on the forum. Well done!!
Roland
Old 03-04-2011, 12:08 AM   #92

Registry
Door Lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
Randy,
The 71 Boler currently in my shop has the "grab and twist" door handle style similar to Scamps. Yours has the flush-mount, pull style that I prefer. Any idea where I can find one like yours, and do you think it would work as a replacement?
Mine is the Bargman L-400 that is apparently quite hard to find now. I was lucky enough to be looking for parts and stumbled upon an ebay seller (an rv dealer if I remember correctly) who had found three or four on a shelf and put them up for sale. That was almost a year ago now so I have no idea where one would find them now. The hole in the door is obviously going to be much larger for this type but if the core of your door is the same as, or similar to mine, I see no reason why it wouldn't work. Here is a picture I took when I was priming the inside of the door. I can get the exact dimensions for the hole since I have not sealed the lock with butyl yet and have to pop it out again. The hole has a frame around it inside the skin that could easily be made from 2x4 stock like I did for the door window.
There is a Bargman L-66 with keys listed right now on ebay for $300.00 so obviously people know those are rare too.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:26 AM   #93

Registry
Short Road Trip

The trailer is now safely tucked away in a garage with my son's Boler for company. It tows nicely and I really felt like I should just keep going but it is still very cold here.
Thanks to everyone who has posted comments and encouragement so far and thanks to all those who have shared their ideas and experiences on this forum. I hope to have updates on the final few items in the near future.
Attached Thumbnails
On The Road-1.JPG   On The Road-3.JPG  

On The Road-4.JPG   On The Rroad-5.JPG  

Old 03-04-2011, 12:30 AM   #94

Registry
Picture

Quote:
Randy,
Oops. Forgot to upload the picture. Here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Door Inside Primed.JPG  
Old 03-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #95

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy D. View Post
Mine is the Bargman L-400 that is apparently quite hard to find now. I was lucky enough to be looking for parts and stumbled upon an ebay seller (an rv dealer if I remember correctly) who had found three or four on a shelf and put them up for sale. That was almost a year ago now so I have no idea where one would find them now. The hole in the door is obviously going to be much larger for this type but if the core of your door is the same as, or similar to mine, I see no reason why it wouldn't work. Here is a picture I took when I was priming the inside of the door. I can get the exact dimensions for the hole since I have not sealed the lock with butyl yet and have to pop it out again. The hole has a frame around it inside the skin that could easily be made from 2x4 stock like I did for the door window.
There is a Bargman L-66 with keys listed right now on ebay for $300.00 so obviously people know those are rare too.
I saw a 400 on E bay about a week ago, the guy was a parts dealer and I believe he said that may be the last 400 to be found. go mto E bay motors then parts , other vehicles, Rv's, exterior that should get you in the neighborhood.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:47 PM   #96
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Ah, the infamous Bargman L 400! Does anyone have experience With the 300, or others of the same ilk?
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:36 PM   #97

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Really like the workmanship
Old 04-03-2011, 10:57 PM   #98

Registry
Side Windows

I was going through all the photos on my camera today and found some from last year when I was about to clean the side windows. I had decided some time ago that I neglected to take these so when I found them I thought I should post them here. I broke one of the panes of glass shortly after these were taken. I have to admit that I have not even visited my Boler since I moved it a month ago. There was another foot of snow on the ground here today but the sun was shining which led to thoughts of finishing the job.
Attached Thumbnails
Windows Before Cleaning1.jpg   Windows Before Cleaning2.jpg  

Windows Before Cleaning4.jpg   Windows Before Cleaning5.jpg  

Old 04-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #99

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Ah, the infamous Bargman L 400! Does anyone have experience With the 300, or others of the same ilk?
Robert, I think the Bargman L-300 is square, where the L-400 is retangular. Someone would need to verify that. All I know, is if I had a Boler and was going to paint and didn't mind a fiberglass repair ... changing the door lockset to something other than the ellusive L-400 would be at the top of the list!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:50 AM   #100

Name: Maggie
Trailer: 1978 Boler 13'
Ontario
Your project is one of the reasons I bought my first Boler...I love what you've done with it, very inspirational
Yamaha_gurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, restorations