I managed to get some help today so that I could finally hang the door. The original hinges were garbage but the fellow I bought the trailer from threw in the new set he had purchased from Scamp
. Of course they have three bolts on the trailer side rather than two and the arm is slightly longer than the Boler
hinges. I filled all of the old holes before painting
because they were badly worn and the placement was going to change with the new hinges. I cut metal backing plates for both the door and trailer side. On the trailer side I cut slits in the ensolite and slipped them in. I will caulk and paint
over the scars that caused. The L-400
latch is a brand new one that I was very lucky to find on ebay several months ago. I can't close the door yet because the bolt heads are hitting the trim I installed and it will have to be cut back a bit. It will also have to be cut for the latch where I plan to add some steel to make the lock more secure. The checkerplate on the bottom of the door was added by a previous owner to cover a hole in the shell. I left it alone because it is securely riveted on and may help the door retain the correct shape.
Having the door on allowed me to install the front bench and bunk too.