Yanked the frige Pic - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2006, 04:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 75 Boler
Trying to upload showing the fruit of my labor.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
porto_frige__4_.jpg  
Dan Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 04:25 PM   #2

Note the metal flashing (still attached) which is secured to the outer wall and was riveted to the refrigerator to seal it off from the inside. There was also alot of Butyle caulk all around it. I'll tin snip out the remaining flashing and clean up all the metal rush that you see on the floor from where the drip pan was.
Attached Thumbnails
porto_smaller_1.jpg  
Old 05-09-2006, 04:37 PM   #3

A shot before removing the peach colored cabinets and repainting thr ensolite white. Has anyone ever installed plexi or lexan cabinet doors?

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
cabinets__3_.jpg  
Old 05-09-2006, 05:21 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
A shot before removing the peach colored cabinets and repainting thr ensolite white. Has anyone ever installed plexi or lexan cabinet doors?

Dan
I don't think I'd try installing solid plexi or lexan doors. However a wooden frame door with a clear center would work. You'd want the plastic to float in the frame with something like weather stripping to stop the rattle. I think straight lexan or plexi would stress crack at mounting holes.

JMHO
Old 05-09-2006, 05:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp
I've thought about plastic doors but it seems difficult. All the hinge holes would have to be tapped and any kind of catch holes too. Maybe plastic strip hinges exist that could be cemented on.
If I did go plastic, I would want the inside frosted and the corners with a 2" radius.
I think they would be really good looking, maybe in a nice color.
shirley munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 05:58 PM   #6

Registry
I think it would be nice to have plexiglass inset doors. Etch the inside of the plexi with flower pictures. Add some plastic dye to the flowers for a touch color. Unique and pretty doors, eh?

Now if you want to get wild, do the same thing only put a piece of white plastic on the inside and lights inside the cupboard to back light. Cool night light, eh?
Old 05-09-2006, 08:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Hi Byron, plexi will very likely crack, Lexan most likely won`t unless possibly it is subjected to too much UV......I know it works very well on overhead lit up street signs ....if you want to try something, scavenge a couple 1/16' thick pieces of plexi and Lexan...cut them into strips about 1/4" or 3/8' wide and try to tie them into knots, next lay them on an anvil or vise and try to flatten them with a hammer....try anything you wish to break the Lexan....the only thing that`ll proably work is to keep folding it back and forth like a piece of wire and it`ll eventually stretch thinner and then separate....wear safety glasses and a long sleeve shirt while trying the plexi.....I haven`t had success with holes not spider web cracking in Plexiglass......Lexan is a totally different cat and you can try to make it crack...good luck! ....I wouldn`t hesitate using Lexan....if you do, try to get the scratch resistant version...the xtra price may be worth it....good luck with your door project....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Has anyone ever installed plexi or lexan cabinet doors?
Dan
Prehack we had a topic with pictures from someone who'd replaced the doors with "cutting board" plastic...whatever the official name is called Seems they found the stuff at a recycler...or maybe even the Dollar Store Boy is my memory bad...all I really remember is it was done and looked good and clean.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:48 PM   #9

Trailer: 78 Scamp 13 ft
Donna D, you are on the same wavelenght! That cutting board plastic is nylon, I do believe. It IS nice and would make great doors! That is what I would wish for in the future- in my Space Theme, so "modern and space-ship like!" I'm sure it comes in colors, too.

It would be easy to drill holes in. And so easy to keep clean, too.
Deb in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:01 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Donna D, you are on the same wavelenght! That cutting board plastic is nylon, I do believe. It IS nice and would make great doors! That is what I would wish for in the future- in my Space Theme, so "modern and space-ship like!" I'm sure it comes in colors, too.

It would be easy to drill holes in. And so easy to keep clean, too.

The white cutting board are probably nylon ok, but the clear are probably not nylon. My guess polycarbonate for clear.