We've finished some projects, though it's still not totally done, and since we're now moving the trailer to another property it will probably be still another year before the final projects are done. This trailer was a gift (fixing it up for the giftee); what a gift! These remaining projects are: Flooring, exterior paint
(by hand), new wheel rims and baby moons, and likely much tweaking.
I got this as a shell in bad shape and it's been quite a learning experience, learning from "zero" how to do electrical
, insulation, plumbing, décor. The biggest challenge and risk was when I cut out the two plexiglass windows
and enlarged the holes, then I made a new frame somehow, with cardboard, polyfleece, resin and fiberglass, for two real RV windows
, which I really like because they open and won't scratch. They're really strong too. But when I cut the openings I was sure I'd made a big mistake, but it all worked out.
Of course, the exterior paint
is still bondo patchwork, but I did POR the frame and there's no leaks
, tested with full-bore hose.
The projects done included:
Toilet install (a midnight pee toilet!) with plumbing and black tank (it's a '72 so it just has one tank). Countertop with sink, faucet, stove, 12V fridge
, oak cabinet doors, oak countertop/table, moved stanchion, put in bed board, put in futon bed trimmed to curve and recovered, put in closet for toilet, put in gas lines, all electrical
, put in panel and battery/vent with switches for 12V DC stuff including perimeter exterior LED lighting
, put in roof vent with 12V fan, rehung door, new weather stripping, new hardware, new hinges, put in 2 new windows
, stripped exterior, bondo'd sanded primed, sandblasted trailer pull, welded on back storage cage, welded on stabilizer jacks, bought lockable chocks, put in 120V power and lights
inside, put in 20A 120V exterior GFCI, put in water tank, 12V pump, water fill port, put in city water connection (I have it so that the "hot" on the faucet is just the cold water from the tank/pump and I'm working on the "cold" being the pressurized water from the city water port), put in battery
vent, put in 30A plug with adapter and port, put in inverter, power strip, grounds, tie-down for propane
tank, new spare tire holder, stripped flooring, new back-up and signal and running lights
, new trailer wiring, new shelves under the cabinets, new curtains. I'm still sewing the covers for the seat cushions which will also make into a second bed (out of canvas). Also I insulated the wall cavities with Great Stuff foam and painted the interior, I put in 120V light
fixture as well as 12V LED inside/out, I have a gas line to the stove plus it tees off to a gas line above, I plan on welding an articulating arm to hold a heater someday, for now it's capped off.
I'll post more pictures in next.