Yet another jack questions--this time, Scamp 13 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-02-2015, 11:43 AM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Best investment I every made to make unhooking safer was to buy a small rubber trailer tongue wheel holder.... stops the wheel from travelling while unhooking if the trailers wheels for some reason are not as well chocked as one thought they were. It also helps to stop the wheel from sinking down into sand or gravel. If the later happens when camped on a steep sloop you might have hard time getting the ball back under the tongue to hook back up - been there done that! LOL
Attached Images

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:48 AM   #16

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
I like it!! Just looked at etrailer.com and do not see one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Best investment I every made to make unhooking safer was to buy a small rubber trailer tongue wheel holder.... stops the wheel from travelling while unhooking if the trailers wheels for some reason are not as well chocked as one thought they were. It also helps to stop the wheel from sinking down into sand or gravel. If the later happens when camped on a steep sloop you might have hard time getting the ball back under the tongue to hook back up - been there done that! LOL

Old 06-02-2015, 11:49 AM   #17

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post

Good idea if you have a wheel attached to the tongue jack. Many, including mine don't have a tongue wheel, I did for a while carry a pad with a did in the middle to capture the tongue jack foot. After I forgot to use it or didn't have enough space under the foot, I took it out of the trailer.
If you do have a tongue jack wheel something to keep it from moving is a good idea.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:33 PM   #18

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I like it!! Just looked at etrailer.com and do not see one.
I picked up the small rubber one some place years ago and can't recall where and have not seen one the same since. Most are a fair bit larger than the one I actually have, its a small square one so there is little chance of any wheel movement once its landed. Sorry Couldn't find a picture on my computer of it.

Do a search with Google using Trailer Tongue wheel chock you will get lots of returns - click on the image option to see all the different kinds out there. You can buy them from CampingWorld, EBay and Amazon etc.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:50 PM   #19

British Columbia
Registry
I BTW once had my trailer while parked on a seriously slopped camp site take a spin. The site was sloop front to back as well as side to side. If I am not mistaken I had the tongue wheel chock on it at the time and that may have actually have been what stopped the whole trailer from traveling on its own more than it did!

I use to use wood under the tire on one side to level the trailer as well as under the rear stabilizer jacks if the ground at the rear was sloped away. Switched to using more slip resistant plastic lego blocks after the trailer did a bit of a scary spin once when someone stepped out of the trailer and pushed off hard and the wet wood & tire slipped and the rear stabilizers coming off the wood as well ... only thing that stopped the whole thing from spinning further was the trailer came to rest against a large fallen log a few feet from the rear side of it. The tongue wheel chock no doubt also stopped the whole trailer from going backwards down a long slop on its own. Good news was the damage was only a minor scratch in the gelcoat.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:21 PM   #20

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13', want another small trailer.
Oklahoma
Registry
This discussion has brought back some memories of my first RV days.

With my first Trailer RV I made two stair-step wood leveler's out of 2" by 8 or 10" boards. Boy, were they heavy!

But many times I was very glad to have them to use!

Today I looked in my junk pile, and there was one of them. 30-years old, but if I'd drive the nails back into the wood, it would be ready for duty!

Click image for larger version

Name:	RV.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	276.3 KB
ID:	84804

However, i believe I'll toss it back into the junk pile...and just seek level parking sites!

Bill

Tags
scamp