Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:24 PM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheri in MN View Post
We have never found that things shift much in the cupboards when we travel; I was thinking they probably wouldn't try to fling themselves out if there were just shelves. But maybe I should try taking off the doors that are on them now and see what happens.
Taking the doors off and giving it a try is a good idea. I have found that as others have suggested the rear of the trailers can be pretty bouncy. A lot depends on how smooth or not the road you are traveling on is. Have had more than a few occasions where items in the rear overhead bins have managed to fling themselves out even with the doors on the bins, even when I have only been on the I5
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:20 AM   #18

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
I'm a newbie and so far, I've just modified my little 13' Scamp in my mind. But I too was thinking of going with the open shelving look. I just think its easier to get things in and out and I too like the look. I like to store things in matching baskets, which I think gives it a cohesive look and keeps things organized. I am thinking about having a bungy that I can hook on before hitting the road-- it would stretch across the the length of the shelf, to keep the baskets from bouncing off the shelves. This would insure the contents stay in place without having to take everything down when traveling. I don't have a cabinet across the rear, so I thought adding an open shelf unit would be easier than making doors for it. Can't wait to get started. I love hearing about everyone elses ideas.
Linda
Old 10-02-2012, 07:05 AM   #19

Name: Cheri
Trailer: Scamp fifth-wheel
North Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters
I'm a newbie and so far, I've just modified my little 13' Scamp in my mind. But I too was thinking of going with the open shelving look. I just think its easier to get things in and out and I too like the look. I like to store things in matching baskets, which I think gives it a cohesive look and keeps things organized. I am thinking about having a bungy that I can hook on before hitting the road-- it would stretch across the the length of the shelf, to keep the baskets from bouncing off the shelves. This would insure the contents stay in place without having to take everything down when traveling. I don't have a cabinet across the rear, so I thought adding an open shelf unit would be easier than making doors for it. Can't wait to get started. I love hearing about everyone elses ideas.
Linda
I, too, use the matching baskets to store things in the cupboards for just the reasons you mentioned, and I plan to continue doing that with shelves. I like the bungee idea for traveling. Keep us posted on your modifications! Nice to have you with us.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #20

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0122.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	51651

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0123.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	51652

I installed overhead shelve around the back and sides. Problem as you have, on bumpy rds or hwys the trailer wants to bounce the heaver item out and onto the bed. So went with lighter items on the back shelf and installed bungies, problem 99 % solved.

Ron
Old 10-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #21

North Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRJR

I installed overhead shelve around the back and sides. Problem as you have, on bumpy rds or hwys the trailer wants to bounce the heaver item out and onto the bed. So went with lighter items on the back shelf and installed bungies, problem 99 % solved.

Ron
Nice! Thanks for the pictures.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #22

Name: Graeme
Trailer: Boler 1700 '79
Ontario
Great reading your posts. I am planning the remodel of my 1700 Boler right now and hate the upper bunk as it is either in the way or doesn't give very good storage. I am going to add a permanent shelving unit. I had already decided to go "open" when reading this link. What I am going to do with the shelves for travel is instead of a bungee cord I am going to use cargo netting that is made up of bungees so when traveling I can keep everything in place and then just unhook the cord for easy access.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #23

Name: Graeme
Trailer: Boler 1700 '79
Ontario
I am going to use something like this...
Net Mounting Instructions - CargoGear Car and Truck Accessories
Old 10-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #24

North Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackedegg
Yeah, that looks like a good solution, too. I suppose it would give good stability even when things on the shelves are of very different heights. Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #25

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
This forum has so many resourceful and creative folks. I love hearing about everyones solutions. I can't wait to finish my phase one mods, so I can hit the road and do some camping. I am joining "Sisters on the Fly", to do some fun camping with other females.