Zombie Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2019, 08:16 AM   #1

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
Zombie Boler

Earlier this summer I sold my Scamp and as partial payment accepted a Boler 1700 that the POs' had realized was far more of a project than they wanted. The Boler didn't come with a title but that was okay. My reasoning for accepting the Boler was that I planed on picking up a old cheap camper to use as a hunting camper once the Scamp was gone and once at the hunting lease it would stay there probably forever. I agreed to the Boler without seeing it, after all how bad could it be. So this is what I got.
[IMG]1980 Boler 1700 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]1980 Boler 1700a by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]4447 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

When we made the trade I realing didn't look to closely at the Boler because it was raining and I spent most of my time walking through how the Scamp worked with its new owner, as he was a newbee when it came to camper appliances. Pulling it home I was laughing to myself because I started to realize I barley looked at what I was pulling and had no idea what I was going to do with it. I stopped get gas once the rain had stopped and took a couple of photos and checked again to make sure nothing was going to fall off going down the interstate. Once I got it home I started looking hard at it and had to conclusions, oh my god I am an idiot for taking this thing and wow this can be way more than a hunting camper. Now I started trying to figure out how to get it titled and registered. In Tennessee it is not the easiest thing to do but it is possible. In the mean time I would do the bare minimum to get it ready for hunting camp which would be to seal it up. I didn't want to spend too much time on it at this point because I am also in the middle of a complete Frame off restoration of a 1977 Airstream. I started filling in all the holes and repairing the door/entrance which was a mess. Here is the best part of the door frame.

[IMG]20190510_192957_resized by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

I had to disassemble the door and rebuild it along with a new door latch.

[IMG]20190504_164308_resized by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

And since I can't leave well enough alone I decided I better pull the frame out and make some modification, you know in case I get the title and all. I cut out all the cross members and relocated them so when I put in the floor it would all line up to minimize seam flexing.

[IMG]20190608_154118_resized by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20190613_070137_resized by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20190613_203504_resized by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20190609_164451_resized by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

Once the shell was back on the frame I installed the door put in the plywood flooring.

[IMG]20190512_142431_resized_1 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20190623_164804_resized by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:28 AM   #2

TN
Registry
I got the Title of the Boler this week and I am supper pumped about that. I put the Airstream on hold this week and pick back up on the Boler to finish sealing it up for hunting camp. I installed a Maxxair fan yesterday, not that I have any wiring or electricity , as well as put the storage access door on and built a door threshold to tie the bottom of the door frame into the camper. Today I will try to work on the interior a little and do a little electrical so I can use the fan and maybe have a couple of lights.

[IMG]20191012_182846_resized by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20191012_182838_resized by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 10-13-2019, 07:00 PM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
That is a great start on a major project
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:40 PM   #4

TN
Registry
Today I decided to try something to get the sag out of the ceiling. I attached a sheet of 3/8 plywood to the ceiling with construction adhesive and my plan is to add support with the bathroom door frame and a small storage closet opposite the bath.

[IMG]20191019_121704_resized by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20191019_121806_resized by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 10-22-2019, 04:45 PM   #5

Name: Sandra
Trailer: 2006 EggCamper #35
Florida
Registry
Wow - what a neat project! At least you have the skills for it and seem to enjoy the process. Looking forward to seeing future pics. nice problem solving on roof.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:02 AM   #6

TN
Registry
Wow it has been a while since I posted. I have been able to get a few things done on the interior like installing the power panel, installing a hatch door on the street side that will allow access to the under bed storage. Then the weather changed from drought to flooding I found out that the roof leaks like Swiss cheese. The glass is so cracked and crazed that water just filters through it like a pasta colander.
Sooo, my plans to ruff it in and take it to hunting camp came to an abrupt halt. Since the weather has turn from 90 degrees every day to 40 degrees and raining I had to figure out how to get it in my garage to work on it. First I tried letting the air out of the tries and removing the ceiling vents but I was still about 1/2 inch too high. So I made a gamble and I ordered a set of 12 inch wheels, hoping they would fit over the brakes. On my first attempt at installing them they didn't fit there was about a one inch gap, but I then flipped the wheel around backwards and it would just set against the drum. Since they are just for moving in and out of the garage I put in the wheel bolts and that allowed me to just slide it in.

[IMG]20191127_162014_resized by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20191127_162430_resized by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

Before the rain started I did get some work done. I built the walls for the bath/closet and opposite of that what will be a small storage area/roof brace. I will probably cut an opening in the storage area/roof brace to open the cabin up as it does make it feel a little tight. Not entirely sure how I will accomplish it or the finished design but I am leaning towards an open C with the support running up the wall.

[IMG]20191027_154443_resized by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20191027_154450_resized by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20191027_174637_resized by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 12-14-2019, 05:01 PM   #7

Trailer: Compact Jr
I love looking at threads like this. What do you plan to do about the roof?
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 05:35 PM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think these new wooden side supports are for the roof....
Old 12-14-2019, 09:07 PM   #9

TN
Registry
The walls do provide support for the roof. I also plan on adding a couple of layers of new fiberglass to the exterior which should help hold the shape.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:31 PM   #10

TN
Registry
Hey I though it was time for a quick update I have finally put a new layer of glass on the roof and will have to work out some of the bumps before I decide if I am going to put another layer on. I started putting in one of the bed bases on the street side and I also did a modification to the curbside support to open up the feel of the inside. [IMG]unnamed (1) by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]unnamed by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]unnamed (2) by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 03-31-2020, 10:11 PM   #11

Name: Renee
Washington
That room divider/roof support is awesome. Changes everything. Plus always needed counter space.
ReneeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:24 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
How many hours do you have into it so far?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:29 AM   #13

TN
Registry
Mike I haven't been keeping track. I have an Airstream that has my main focus and I kind of fill in the time with the Zombie. Guessing I would say probably about 70 to 80 hours. Mainly week ends when it is cold or raining and I can't work outside, which has been most weekend this year so far. The only reason it has had so much work is because I was able to squeeze it into my shop and that has given me a little more motivation to work on it, because it takes up a lot of room.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:37 AM   #14

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Thumbs up

Nice work....
Old 04-23-2020, 04:16 PM   #15

TN
Registry
Got some work done on the zombie. I wanted an attachment point on the walls for overhead storage, so I glued three 1/4" x 1" strips of plywood to the walls. Next step will be to glass over them to give me a firm attachment point for the cabinets.

[IMG]unnamed (3) by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]image0 (5) by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 05-25-2020, 05:21 PM   #16

TN
Registry
Well I got a few things done on the Zombie today. I got both bed platforms cut and installed. Since the last time I posted I built the curbside bed frame and did a little body work. I actually spent most of the weekend working on my Argosy "The Love Shack" and a friend's Avion wiring. I ordered and receive Reflectix and Bulk head carpet "rat fur" but still waiting on the glue to do the instillation. Of course while I ponder my next step I decided I need to get the body "smoothish" and put some paint on it before I go much further with the interior. Oh and I need to get my wiring done as well. Just need to find the time between the Job that pays, the Love Shack and the Zombie. Less I forget I still need to come up with a mounting setup for the AC unit seen in the photo, not to mention the Galley and head.

[IMG]IMG_0154 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]image1 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]image0 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 10-05-2020, 04:35 PM   #17

TN
Registry
Holly cow it has been awhile since I posted an update. What a year, I mean 2020 right! I did manage to get a number of items accomplished each taking ten times longer than planed. So I spent a lot of time on getting the shell exterior smooth and I have a little more block sanding to do but this summer has been to hot and to humid. I did get the wiring completed with all the electrical functioning as intended. I also got the overhead cabinets installed, which is a mixed blessing. They will provide a ton of storage space but I have cracked my head on them so many times over the last few week I may have brain damage. I also got my heater installed. I decided to take a chance on a cheap China diesel heater and so far I am pleased. I did a test run of the heater after I got it installed and on high it puts out the heat. I can't imagine ever having to run it on high for any period of time. Oh I also installed a new set of steps which untimely required refabricating the door way threshold. Here are some photos of what been going on.

[IMG]Cabinets build 2 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Cabinets build 4 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Boler overheads 8 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Boler overheads 4 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Boler overheads2 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Boler overheads1 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]boler overheads 15 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Boler overheads12 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Door threshold 1 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Door thresold 2 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Steps by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 10-11-2020, 06:33 PM   #18

TN
Registry
Today I put in 200 square feet of foil insulation which required a gallon of contact adhesive. Fun stuff. Of course I though a gallon would be more than enough to do the insulation and the bulkhead covering. Nope! I still have the put the insulation in the overhead compartments and under the beds. Then put in the bulkhead covering. So I ordered more adhesive through Amazon. Prime is paying for it self this year.

[IMG]Insulation 1 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Insulation 2 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 10-12-2020, 11:25 AM   #19

Name: David
Trailer: 2010 Escape 15A
Pennsylvania
Keep up the good work!

It is really fun to see your progress. Keep up the good work. It gives me encouragment for the day that I may need to revamp my trailer.

David
Pittsburgh, PA
DavidGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:38 PM   #20

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Nice work!
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler