OR 2016, Oct 6-9: Fall NOG - Northern Oregon Gathering - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-21-2016, 09:49 AM   #15
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Just fry several

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Are you going to join us and do the cooking????

Edit: Never mind I see you are. So you had better make it a big Turkey as there will be more than a few Canadian's looking for their Thanksgiving Dinner! ;-)
The same vat of frying oil will cook several turkeys, sequentially (not simultaneously). In my experience, an 11 lb bird fries in about an hour and 15 minutes...

I missed all this because I've been ignoring this thread - 'til today. We NOGged last year, but knew that was a one shot deal (we picked up our new Escape from Chilliwack BC, the Friday before, which put us in the Ft. Stephens SP neighborhood at just the right time). Now that I see y'all are talking turkey frying, my hub says "I could be persuaded to go."

Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:09 AM   #16

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
The same vat of frying oil will cook several turkeys, sequentially (not simultaneously). In my experience, an 11 lb bird fries in about an hour and 15 minutes...

I missed all this because I've been ignoring this thread - 'til today. We NOGged last year, but knew that was a one shot deal (we picked up our new Escape from Chilliwack BC, the Friday before, which put us in the Ft. Stephens SP neighborhood at just the right time). Now that I see y'all are talking turkey frying, my hub says "I could be persuaded to go."
I often do up a couple turkeys in succession. I find that a bird near 15 lbs will fry in about an hour at 350°. I do ramp up the oil to about 425° before dropping the bird in, so that it recovers to 350° quickly.

I love injecting the turkey too. Something with a bit of a spice and a butter base if my favourite, like a butter creole.

My presence, even though registered, at the Fall NOG is still up in the air. I was hoping to bring my new 2017 Escape 5.0TA, but may not have it in time. If I pull my temp stickie down there, I might get scorned.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:35 PM   #17

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
My presence, even though registered, at the Fall NOG is still up in the air. I was hoping to bring my new 2017 Escape 5.0TA, but may not have it in time. If I pull my temp stickie down there, I might get scorned.
We accept SOBs... including their trailers
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:40 PM   #18

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
We accept SOBs... including their trailers
Then I qualify, hands down!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-21-2016, 03:56 PM   #19
Administrator

Texas
Registry
Wow. That's hot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I often do up a couple turkeys in succession. I find that a bird near 15 lbs will fry in about an hour at 350°. I do ramp up the oil to about 425° before dropping the bird in, so that it recovers to 350° quickly.

I love injecting the turkey too. Something with a bit of a spice and a butter base if my favourite, like a butter creole.
Maybe you have a larger kettle than we have. We cook them at 315-325F, so they're not done as quickly... And I think 12 lbs is the largest we've ever fried.

We don't inject. We rub the skin with cayenne, most of which falls off (and infuses the oil).

But that's okay. It's YOUR Thanksgiving! Fry 'em how you like 'em!
Old 06-21-2016, 04:06 PM   #20

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Maybe you have a larger kettle than we have. We cook them at 315-325F, so they're not done as quickly... And I think 12 lbs is the largest we've ever fried.

We don't inject. We rub the skin with cayenne, most of which falls off (and infuses the oil).

But that's okay. It's YOUR Thanksgiving! Fry 'em how you like 'em!
This is a shot of me from Easter 2005 with a turkey. You can see the size of my fryer. I still use the same one. 15 lbs is the limit, but I have done down to 12 lb ones too for about 45 minutes. I have been frying turkeys for about 15 years now, doing 4-6 a year.

I have tried rubs, something I love to do when smoking meat, but like you say, most of it was lost and had little effect on the flavour, so now I only inject. Everybody just loves the fried turkey. If there is any left over from the main part of the meal, we just leave it out, and everyone nibbles at it until it is gone.

Between times I fry, after filtering the oil, I put it in the freezer to stop it from going bad once all the food bits are in it.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:53 PM   #21

Name: James
Trailer: In the Market
Washington

Donna,

We ran into one of your members this last weekend in Roslyn who suggested we contact you. We have been enjoying our Compact II the last few years taking many short and long term trip; the small size makes traveling a breeze. We might be interested in joining your group this fall. Let me know what we'd need to join you all.

Kirk & Kayce
Old 06-21-2016, 07:13 PM   #22

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by James KD View Post
Donna,

We ran into one of your members this last weekend in Roslyn who suggested we contact you. We have been enjoying our Compact II the last few years taking many short and long term trip; the small size makes traveling a breeze. We might be interested in joining your group this fall. Let me know what we'd need to join you all.

Kirk & Kayce
Was it Sharen? I think I saw your Compact II in pictures? Blue and white? If it was, it's nice looking!

Go to the very first post in this thread, it will give you all the information you need to get a site at Nehalem Bay SP for the Fall NOG. Once you have a site reserved, post back in the thread your site number, adult names of those that are coming, year of your trailer and home domicile. I'll add you to the map and the participants list that's updated on the CasitaForum. 2016, Oct 6-9: Fall NOG - Northern Oregon Gathering - Casita Travel Trailer Forum

Hope this helps!
Old 06-22-2016, 12:05 AM   #23

Name: James
Trailer: In the Market
Washington
I'm not sure of her name. She drove a big airstream motorhome.

As I get looking at the dates, we will be getting back from a road trip to Yosemite the week before, so the fall rally most likely wont work out. Maybe in the spring?

Yes, ours was the blue and white rig. Fun and practical trailers.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:50 AM   #24
Administrator

Texas
Registry
"big airstream motorhome"

Yep, that's Sharen!
Old 06-22-2016, 06:34 AM   #25

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by James KD View Post
I'm not sure of her name. She drove a big airstream motorhome.

As I get looking at the dates, we will be getting back from a road trip to Yosemite the week before, so the fall rally most likely wont work out. Maybe in the spring?

Yes, ours was the blue and white rig. Fun and practical trailers.
The Beast! And yes, that was Sharen. I'll be posting information about the Spring NOG the end of next month. Hope you can make it then.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:19 PM   #26

Name: Daniel
Trailer: 1994 Casita 16 Liberty
Washington
NOG

Daniel & Joyce Space B-20 Oct 6-9
Old 06-30-2016, 02:33 AM   #27

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Cool Talking turkey

One of the problems with deep frying is heating oil in the presence of water creates saturated fat.
I have cooked a turkey in my Weber grill. The instructions with the grill explain how to do it. There are two little 'fences' that hold the charcoal to either side. It even tells how many briquettes per pound.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:25 AM   #28

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
One of the problems with deep frying is heating oil in the presence of water creates saturated fat.
Not sure how this could ever happen. I just quickly Googled and found nothing on this. Do you have some info on this, Roger?

However, other than the moisture in the turkey, there is never any other water when I fry anyway.

After a couple times when I first started frying where the water created a big turmoil for the first while, I started making sure I injected a few hours beforehand, then dry the turkey inside and out very well. I let it sit to warm to room temperature for a while during which it continues to dry. Now, when I put the turkey in the hot oil, it just about drops right in with no issue.

Tags
fall