FL 2016, Oct 7-9: Jam 'N Eggs - A North Florida Gathering - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive)
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-04-2016, 09:44 AM   #21

Name: Charles
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBreez View Post
Thanks. We're actually south and west of the current "cone of doom" so no worries about hunkering down here (our house survived Andrew.) Would prefer to not be out on the road in tropical storm conditions, tho. May be able delay departure until Saturday and stay through Monday... we shall see.
We did get a nice eastward adjustment at 11. To me it's all about the rain at this point.
bookernoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:02 AM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita 17
Florida
Well?

Ok, we read all the weather reports and still know nothing! I'd hate to be on the east coast right now. Looking at all the various weather map overlays can't tell if Live Oak is going to be raining with 50 knots of wind or what.
Not to crazy about driving with a Tropical Storm Warning either.

Is the gathering still on? Everybody still going?
oldsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:39 AM   #23

Name: Charles
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsteve View Post
Ok, we read all the weather reports and still know nothing! I'd hate to be on the east coast right now. Looking at all the various weather map overlays can't tell if Live Oak is going to be raining with 50 knots of wind or what.
Not to crazy about driving with a Tropical Storm Warning either.

Is the gathering still on? Everybody still going?
I just had a look again, and the storm clearly doesn't know what it's doing! LOL. To answer your question, there will doubtlessly be a 'gathering' under any circumstances, as several of the attendees are now evacuees. The park is an ideal location to run to for Floridians, as it offers escape routes in several directions should the need arise. As for forecast, it is clearly a toss-up so far. Having lived around here 25 years, and had a career using weather detail every day, my humble projection is that we will get some rain, but not 'tropical' rain for any duration. By all measures it appears the rain will be done by Saturday AM, if we get it all.

So, if I were traveliing in from the south or east, I would say the weather will be better than at home. From the west or north, I would come on if I thirsted for a little adventure. The park is likely to be a lot busier than expected, and that can be fun. The last time there were hundreds of pot luck suppers, complete bands showing up to entertain evacuees, and a really cool sense of community helping each other out.

I will definitely be here for the weekend, though a side trip to batten down the 'big house' appears to be in the works. Any questions feel free to call me at this (disguised) number.
Charles Cornett
Niner OH FOR, Too Oh 6, Niner Ate For One
bookernoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:01 AM   #24

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
We're still planning to come up from Miami unless we have damage at home we need to deal with, or a power outage to the extent that I have to run the generator to keep the fridge powered up. Folks north of us - Ft Lauderdale and points north - are likely to get it much worse than us. We are currently expecting tropical storm winds.

Planning to leave Friday morning. We may take I-75 to hug the west coast if necessary. Depends on weather and road conditions on US-27, etc.

Stay safe, my fellow Floridians!

Matthew at FL Hurricane Center
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:47 PM   #25

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
We made it up, and we made it back! Followed Hurricane Matthew upstate, not much rain but headwinds and crosswinds all the way. Got in after dark, but fortunately ran into Charles, who conducted us to our campsite.

Had loads of fun meeting fellow eggamites and their rigs, and canoeing the Suwannee. But I really had a blast jamming with the local talent - bluegrass and old timey are styles I had little experience with, and stand-up bass is not my best instrument, but the tunes survived my city-boy playing. Especially enjoyed Karen's dobro playing and singing - she's a genuine talent.

Thank you, Charles, for putting this fiberglass hootenanny together. Keep us posted on plans for next year.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote