AZ 2017, Feb 6-12: Quartzsite Gathering 10th Anniversary - Quartzsite AZ - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive)
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-20-2016, 12:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
2017, Feb 6-12: Quartzsite Gathering 10th Anniversary - Quartzsite AZ

The dates for the 10th Anniversary 2017 will be Monday February 6th, 2017 through Sunday February 12th, 2017. Mark your calendars and make your plans to attend to celebrate 10 years of this gathering in the Arizona Desert. Since this event takes place on BLM Land there are no reservations, fees, or checkout times necessary.

No details of the gathering will be posted at this time. Check back on this post over the months ahead and as the details become available they will be posted on this thread.

We look forward to seeing everyone that can join us in 2017.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:38 AM   #2

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Thanks. Good to get that on the calendar early.
It's on my bucket list if I'm still able.

Walt
Old 10-03-2016, 05:10 PM   #3

2017 10th Anniversary Quartzsite Gathering

2017 Quartzsite Gathering Hosts: Scamp Owners International - Greg, Janea and Quartzsite kids. Co-Host Earl and the “lil Nut.”

This gathering is for all brands of Molded Fiberglass Trailers!

Dates:
February 6th to 9th - Early bird Quartzsite Pre-Gathering (Mon thru Thurs)
February 10th to 12th - Main Event (Friday thru Sunday)

If you can attend the Main Gathering, the Pre-Gathering, or the entire Quartzsite Gathering we’d love to have you come and enjoy the good times. Some even stay for a Post-Gathering for a few days if you’re so inclined.

Where: Same location as always, Dome Rock area, Quartzsite Arizona. Approx. 5 miles west of Quartzsite on I-10, south side of highway next to the frontage road.

MAP OF QUARTZSITEGATHERING LOCATION

GPS: 33.643617,-114.304752

Who Can Attend: Owners of all Molded Fiberglass Trailers brands - Casita, Scamp, Escape, Burro, U-haul, Bigfoot, Lil’ Snoozy, Compact Jr., Trillium, Boler, Parkliner, Eggcamper, Perris Pacer, etc. This gathering has always been, and will continue to be, a melting pot of all molded fiberglass trailer brands.

Registration: There is no pre-registration, as this is free BLM land. We will have a registration/signup table at the Host Trailer in the main loop. This is just first name(s), town, state and trailer type. Make sure you stop by the Host Trailer because not only do we want to meet you, the first 300 registrations will receive a FREE 2017 Quartzsite Gathering 10 year Anniversary button! (Our Canadian friends called this a Pin)

Camping: Free BLM 14-day dry camping (no facilities) on hard packed dirt. Market, water and dump station are all located in Quartzsite, 5 miles to the east. This is “Boondocking” with no hookups. If you are unfamiliar with how to setup your trailer for Boondocking you can read theses excellent resources on Boondocking.

What to Bring: Full Water Tank, Extra Water in Tow Vehicle, Empty Gray and Black Tanks, Generator or Solar Charging options, can of non-cream based soup for the soup event, a dessert for the dessert event, and firewood (optional).

BLM Permit: A BLM permit must be obtained and displayed on your trailer. These are available free of charge from the BLM host trailer located a mile or two from town on the frontage road.

Campfires: Campfires are allowed. Please bring some firewood if you can help out. We will have central fire pit activities/concerts on Friday and Saturday night.

Generators: Generators are OK, however quiet ones are even better. Please try not to run them too early or late. Respect your fellow campers.

Check-in Check-out times: – None. Come in and leave when you want to. Maximum stay in this area is 14 days. Best of all there is no bill and nothing owed when you leave!

Pets: All pets must be kept on a leash while within the camp area. You are responsible for cleanup and sanitary disposal of your pet’s waste.

Trash: You are responsible for your trash. We only leave footprints when we depart. Trash may be dropped off at the landfill for free Sunday through Wednesday at this location: Quartzsite Transfer Station Location: 2 1/2 miles N of Quartzsite on Hwy 95, West Side, Quartzsite, AZ 85346

Tips of things to do in Quartzsite

Activities: The Quartzsite Gathering is traditionally not highly scheduled with activities. The few activities we have are on Friday and Saturday.

Friday Night Campfire and Dessert Event: New this year we will have a dessert event at the central campfire. Everyone bring a favorite dessert to the tables, along with your chairs, for a taste of dessert followed by a campfire concert with Pete and Jackie. All musicians are invited to join in with Pete and Jackie for a great evening of music.

Ukulele Lessons and Saturday Night Campfire Concert: Our resident Ukulele professional, Mark Baker, will be offering Ukulele workshops for a nominal fee during the week (Check event whiteboard for times and updates) culminating in a concert on Saturday night at the main loop campfire. To read more about Mark and contact him if you are interested in lessons or playing (anyone who plays any instruments is invited to join in and play) in the Saturday night concert, contact Mark directly for details at markbaker53@gmail.com (link sends e-mail) and check out his website Mark Baker Singer / Song Writer, Entertainer, Ukulele – Guitar, Ukulele, Entertainer, Workshops (link is external)

Saturday Ladder ball Tournament: At 10:00 a.m., right before the Soup Thing. Great fun to be had at the Quartzsite Gathering Ladder ball Tournament. Never played? Not a problem. It is quick and easy to pick up the game and compete for great prizes. Last year’s tournament was quite an event and drew as many spectators as players. We have moved this event to morning so it will be cooler. Join the fun and sign up your team at registration.

Saturday Soup Thing: If everyone would bring a can of soup (Not cream style) they are poured into a couple of large pots and shared with everyone on Saturday afternoon. Snacks are welcome.

Quartzsite Flea Markets: Throughout the town of Quartzsite, the Flea Markets run in the winter months during the influx of RV winter visitors and are quite interesting to spend a day or two rummaging around and finding treasures. Check the heading for current vendor information.

White Board: Check the white board at registration for all activities and approximate times.

Vendors: No outside vendors will be allowed without prior approval from the hosts. We are on BLM Land and their regulations do not allow vendors to sell goods on BLM Lands, so we have to be very careful on what is allowed.

Currently approved vendors:

AZ Little House Customs – by Konrad:

This year since we will "officially" be attending as "Little House Customs Arizona," I thought it might be a good idea to share what I feel that I'll be able to do at Quartzsite, and perhaps more importantly, what I won't be doing.

Quartzsite is different from most of the rallies that Larry Gamble (Little House Customs in Texas and the "mother ship") does in that it's a "boondocking" gathering. No electric and more importantly, no water or dump. Because of this I won't be doing any plumbing at Quartzsite. If you want Fast Gray Mod, Bathroom Remodelor Deck Plates installed, please make arrangements to have this work done a tour place in Camp Verde Arizona either before or after the gathering.
What I will be doing is lighter duty "mods". Lighted switches, three way porch light mods, folding kitchen shelf, fridge hinge brackets, screen door push bars, etc. I may do double steps if there's room in the truck to bring them. I will also be able to do Orbital Machine Works (perfectcasita.com) Shock Kits but not the 3" lift. If you want a OMW Receiver Hitch you'll have to come to the house, 'cause they're just too big to haul to Quartzsite.
My plan is to bring a handful of different items, a pocket full of pop rivets and a willingness to talk to anybody about anything. Because we really don't make anything on the LHC products we sell we won't be having a "store". The parts I bring will just be for installation at Quartzsite.
Here's the key point: PLEASE let me know if you want to have work done at Quartzsite and what's on your Wish List. I'm pretty sure I can attend to everyone who wants work done but I'll need to know ahead of time so I can be sure to have parts and time schedules. Take a look at the Store at http://www.littlehousecustoms.com(link is external) (link is external) and see what you might need. Let me know and I'll do my best to make it happen. Contact info is on the Little House website.
The "Drop Dead Gotta Be In By" date to get on the list is 1 Feb 2017. Contact me: Konrad, Lynn & Sparky - (928) 606-1916
Little House Customs Arizona - http://www.littlehou...omsarizona.com/(link is external) (link is external)
Thanks. Looking forward to seeing you all and having a great time as usual.

Dome Rock Swap Meet Quartzsite Gathering Saturday, Feb 11, 2017 9am - 12 noon:

This is your opportunity to recycle those camping items you no longer use!

SELLERS:
Items must be camping-related...basically anything having to do with RVing. This can also include books, CDs, electronics, etc. -- stuff you'd use when traveling. No clothing items, please.

Purchase a box of small envelopes at the Dollar Store (I'll also have some on hand).
On the front of the envelope, write: 1) Your name, 2) the item name, 3) the price, 4) your cell phone number
Affix the envelope to the item you wish to sell and leave your item(s) on one of the tables at the Swap Meet.
You must be willing to accept either cash or check.
Buyers will place their payment into the envelope and then deposit it into a box designated as PAYMENTS.
At 12 noon, sellers will be expected to come back to the tent to claim their payment(s) and/or item(s).
There will be a table for FREE STUFF. No envelopes necessary; however, the items must be camping-related and reclaimed by noon.
DO NOT LEAVE THOSE ITEMS FOR OTHERS TO DISPOSE OF!
If you have a table or ground cover we can use for a few hours to display items, please bring it along.
No need to stick around if you don't want to since someone will be there keeping an eye on things.

BUYERS:

Acceptable payments will be by cash (correct change appreciated) or check.
Buyers may write their name and cell number on the envelope before depositing it into the box if they have questions for the Seller.
MISCELLANEOUS
No outside vendors are permitted without permission from Greg A., the rally host.

I will have A-Z Casita Owners Guide CDs and the following decals on hand: Jack Frame under Here, Battery Charge, and Fresh Water Tank Gauges.

Questions? Suggestions? Email me at lovemycasita@ymail.com (link sends e-mail)

Eileen

From the Hosts:

Post any questions you have on this thread or to just say “Hello, we’ll be there”! We look forward to meeting many new friends and visiting with many old friends at one of the best gatherings of Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers (All brands are welcome) in the country. It's our Quartzsite Gathering 10 year Anniversary!
Old 11-30-2016, 01:42 PM   #4

It's here!

The 2016 10 year Anniversary Quartzsite Gathering Button or as our friends to the North call it a Pin.

Big shout out to Jon Vermilye who graciously provided the photo he took at the campfire concert at last years Quartzsite Gathering. Thanks, Jon!! Also, to Earl A who produces our buttons/pins and work with us to select the photo and bring it all together. We'll be producing 300 of these commemorative buttons that will be issued at registration first come, first served until we run out. Apologies to anyone that doesn't get one, but that would mean the desert at Quartzsite, AZ is major loaded with molded fiberglass trailers.
Attached Thumbnails
quartzsite-gathering-2016.jpg  
Old 01-27-2017, 07:48 PM   #5

Name: Cathie
Trailer: New owner of a 73 Hunter compact ll
California
Any campers giing to Quartzite gathering?

Hey fellow campers,
I 'm pretty new to joining rallies and gathers and was wondering if any fiberglass rigs are going to be headed to Quartzite? It will be the longest distance " Miss Daisy" our Hunter Compact II will have travelled from home. If you've been there before what should we expect. How cold does it get at night? Has anyone gone metal detecting in the area, i heard occasional little nuggets can be found in the desert around there. Looking firward to swapping stories ☺
Cathie Sadler-Pare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:38 PM   #6

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
We pulled in to the Dome Rock area just outside of Quartsitesite about 1830 today. We will be here for a few weeks. Currently it is about 48° but with the wind blowing about 20 miles an hour it probably feels like 38°. I forgot my metal detector, as I had intended to bring it.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:54 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Steve, have you used your detector around there before and where? I hadn't thought of bringing mine out there before.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:05 PM   #8

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
I have never used it here. It might well not be an area conducive to its use. But I had meant to bring it just to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 04:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathie Sadler-Pare View Post
Hey fellow campers,
I 'm pretty new to joining rallies and gathers and was wondering if any fiberglass rigs are going to be headed to Quartzite? It will be the longest distance " Miss Daisy" our Hunter Compact II will have travelled from home. If you've been there before what should we expect. How cold does it get at night? Has anyone gone metal detecting in the area, i heard occasional little nuggets can be found in the desert around there. Looking firward to swapping stories ☺
Hi Cathie,

There were 187 Molded Fiberglass Trailers at last years Quartzsite Gathering. Circumference of the camping area was over 3 miles. Right now it is 70's in the day and 40's at night, but in AZ anything can happen. While mostly we've had excellent weather for 10 years, it did rain non stop one year and there is always the AZ wind and quick storm possiblity.
Joe Z prospects at the Q gathering right across the road when he comes. He has found trace amounts of gold, but no nuggets. There is Gold in them hills somewhere.
Hope we see you there.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:29 PM   #10

Quartzsite Activities

The Activities have changed slightly for the Quartzsite Gathering. Here is the current update, also check on the activities whiteboard at the host trailer for the most current times and details.

Activities: The Quartzsite Gathering is traditionally not highly scheduled with activities. The few activities we have are on Friday and Saturday.

BYOB Happy Hour to kick off the Quartzsite Gathering for early arrivals. Monday night Feb 6th. We will have an informal BYOB happy hour at the host trailer to get acquainted and start the week. Bring your chairs, favorite beverage and snacks. We'll provide a table and firepit.

Concerts with Pete and Jackie: Several days during the week we will be having evening campfire at the host trailer with music by our good friends and musicians Pete and Jackie. Any aspiring musicians can join in to play along. Check the activity board for times and bring your chairs over.

Friday Night Campfire and Dessert Event: New this year we will have a dessert event at the central campfire. Starting at 4pm everyone bring a favorite dessert to the tables at the central firepit, along with your chairs, for a taste of dessert while enjoying a campfire concert by Ukulele Mark and students. All musicians are invited to join in with Mark and students for a great evening of music.

Ukulele Lessons and Friday Night Campfire Concert: Our resident Ukulele professional, Mark Baker, will be offering Ukulele workshops for a nominal fee during the week (Check event whiteboard for times and updates) culminating in a concert on Friday night at the main loop campfire. To read more about Mark and contact him if you are interested in lessons or playing (anyone who plays any instruments is invited to join in and play) in the Saturday night concert, contact Mark directly for details at markbaker53@gmail.com(link sends e-mail) and check out his website http://markbakermusicaz.com/(link is external)

Saturday Ladder ball Tournament: At 10:00 a.m., right before the Soup Thing. Great fun to be had at the Quartzsite Gathering Ladder ball Tournament. Never played? Not a problem. It is quick and easy to pick up the game and compete for great prizes. Last year's tournament was quite an event and drew as many spectators as players. We have moved this event to morning so it will be cooler. Join the fun and sign up your team at registration.

Saturday Soup Thing: If everyone would bring a can of soup (Not cream style) they are poured into a couple of large pots and shared with everyone on Saturday afternoon. Snacks are welcome.

Quartzsite Flea Markets: Throughout the town of Quartzsite, the Flea Markets run in the winter months during the influx of RV winter visitors and are quite interesting to spend a day or two rummaging around and finding treasures. Check the heading for current vendor information.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:31 PM   #11

Need Help at Quartzsite

The Quartzsite Gathering was a massive event to run last year with 187 trailers in attendance. We need volunteers to help out this year on some of the tasks. It will be very easy stuff and not a big commitment of time, but everyone helping out will keep Greg and Earl upright. wink

We need the following volunteers:

Registration table: We will only assign one 2 hour shift for the week to each volunteer or couple to help out with signing folks in. (If you want another shift that's fine, just ask) The registration table will be officially open from 10am to approximately 4pm daily through Saturday. So we need about 10+ volunteers.

Ladderball scorers/referees: This is Saturday morning @ 9:45 am for approximately 2 hours. We have three ladderball courts and need one scorer for each court so three total. No experience necessary and no we're not going to give you a whistle.

The Great Soup Event: Saturday following the Ladderball tournament we'll need voluteers to help mix, heat, and ladle out soup to the hungry masses. The less cooking experience the better, because then we'll end up with some crazy soup mixes.

Campfire attendant: You'll be in charge of lighting and keeping the central campfire going from approximately 5:30-8pm. We'll need one for the Friday and Saturday. central campfire.

Email info@scampowners.com (link sends e-mail) if you're willing to help out with any of the above.

A big Thank You in advance for those willing to pitch in and help us out.

Check out the Activities on the original post as they have changed. Also, keep an eye on the activities whiteboard at the host trailer as times and details do change during the week.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:54 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
For anyone interested, I've started a webpage of photographs from the rally.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:21 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Thanks Jon, Paula & I will be there Thursday.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:14 PM   #14

Name: Jeanne
Trailer: In the market
Arizona
Hi all you people already enjoying the rally. I am a newbie. We finally got our tow vehicle but are still lacking the RV. My goal is a 16' Scamp with a bathroom and bed made up all the time (layout 6). I have yet to set foot in real Scamp but I certainly have researched them. Anyway, my husband Bob and I and dogs Baylee & Oliver will be staying at the Best Western in Ehrenberg Thursday and Friday nights for the express purpose of visiting the rally and being surrounded by all those wonderful RVs and maybe getting a look inside a few. I have a doctor's appointment in the Valley Thursday morning and then we will head to Quartzsite.

We live in Claypool, 90 miles east of Phoenix. We are in the foothills of the Pinal Mountains in working copper mining country (Globe area). We have been camping since the '60s - but tent camping - and not so much anymore since we are in our '70s now. I am looking forward to meeting a lot of you tomorrow.

Jeanne Jacques
928-473-1190
Jacques in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:11 PM   #15
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Oh looks like SO much fun! My tv and tt arrive in a few weeks so I missed this one but look SO forward to next year! Sign me up for a volunteer job!

Thank you to all who posted pics! As a new bee, I am very grateful!
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:33 PM   #16

Quartzsite 2017 Official Recap and Counts are now posted
Old 03-11-2017, 04:12 PM   #17

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Greg---Thanks for the link to the Scamp Int'l page---I enjoyed reading the reviews of the rally as well as seeing the photos.
One question---from the drone view, it certainly is evident how far spaced folk place their units.
Doesn't this hamper the "meet and greet" tours or isn't that a part of this rally??

And it did surprise me to see other rigs---big coaches, airstreams etc. in between all of the FGRVs. I shouldn't have been surprised, knowing it is free land usage therefore open to all...but I guess I just assumed others would not be right there.

This rally is on my bucket list. Thanks for sharing!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote