WA 2017, June 2-4: Washington Gathering (WAG) Taidnapam - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2016, 07:37 PM   #1

Name: Kim & Luanna
Trailer: 2010 17Casita SD
Washington
Registry
2017, June 2-4: Washington Gathering (WAG) Taidnapam

I believe the common consensus last year was to keep the Taidnapam gathering the first weekend of June regardless of when free fishing weekend is. So, that is June 2-4 2017. I will hold off for a few days to make sure that is the correct assumption before making our reservations so if I'm wrong, answer up.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:29 PM   #2

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Taidnapam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
I believe the common consensus last year was to keep the Taidnapam gathering the first weekend of June regardless of when free fishing weekend is. So, that is June 2-4 2017. I will hold off for a few days to make sure that is the correct assumption before making our reservations so if I'm wrong, answer up.
here in the heck is that, oh I know it is somewhere in WA.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:08 PM   #3

Name: Douglas
Trailer: Escape 21
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
here in the heck is that, oh I know it is somewhere in WA.
Stude
Central part of WA, east of I-5, on US Route 12, near Glenoma. It's at the east end of Riffe Lake. Gorgeous campground!
Old 09-26-2016, 03:48 PM   #4

British Columbia
To Possum and the Bear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpaddle View Post
Central part of WA, east of I-5, on US Route 12, near Glenoma. It's at the east end of Riffe Lake. Gorgeous campground!
:thank you for the info on just where it is, looks like it sits under the Coast Mountain Range.
Stude
Old 09-27-2016, 09:02 AM   #5

Name: Douglas
Trailer: Escape 21
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
:thank you for the info on just where it is, looks like it sits under the Coast Mountain Range.
Stude
It's in the Cascades foothills. I took some pix for a couple of blog posts -- you can get a sense of the place here and here.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:43 AM   #6

British Columbia
Nice Pictures, good photo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpaddle View Post
It's in the Cascades foothills. I took some pix for a couple of blog posts -- you can get a sense of the place here and here.
: cute pups. area looks very interesting for sure. Will try and make it there.
Stude
Old 09-28-2016, 02:49 PM   #7

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Which campground areas are "best" for being near the main gathering? If we're able to come, we'd like to be closer in than the final frontier.

Isn't Taidnapam on the South side of Mount Rainier?

Oh--free fishing is not important to us.

Kai & Paul
and the girls
Peanut: One shell with two nuts in it.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:00 PM   #8

Washington
Registry
The new section is where everybody stays. Mostly sites 200-288. Would love to have you!!
Old 09-28-2016, 06:06 PM   #9

British Columbia
Kai so it sounds like the older section is the one to get into?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Which campground areas are "best" for being near the main gathering? If we're able to come, we'd like to be closer in than the final frontier.

Isn't Taidnapam on the South side of Mount Rainier?

Oh--free fishing is not important to us.

Kai & Paul
and the girls
Peanut: One shell with two nuts in it.
:HOw many spots will hole a 26' Class A, MH and a tow vehicle that is about 12' long, also a phone # for the campground as might be able to book this year for next?
Stude
Old 09-29-2016, 07:30 AM   #10

Name: kevin
Trailer: Miti-Lite
Washington
How is the fishing there? What kinds of fish are being caught? Do they still have that fishing bridge? Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-29-2016, 08:10 AM   #11

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Taidnapam is on the east end of Riffe Lake. The lake is actually the Cowlitz River behind a dam. It is a large reservoir. To get there from the west, head to Morton, either on highway 12 (south of Chehalis) or highway 7. A few miles east of Morton on highway 12, there will be a sign and you turn south onto a private timber company road which is kept open to the campground. It is paved and in good shape. Start looking for the turnoff after you pass under a concrete overpass. There are no other overpasses.

The nearest shopping spot is Morton, which has one grocery store and other basic businesses. Glenoma is merely a convenience store, auto parts store (gossip center) and post office. Randle, which is east of Glenoma has one small grocery store and a couple minimarts and places to eat. That's it.

The weather will be what the Seattle weather folks call for The Cascade Foothills. Plug Morton, WA or Glenoma into whatever weather site you use.

I've never stayed at the campground. I live about 8 miles from it, if the gate to the back way is open. This year was just too hot to go there, plus that is a busy weekend for some reason.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:13 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
2017, June 2-4: Washington Gathering (WAG) Taidnapam

I know a couple of answers to the last questions being asked so here goes: Taidnapam Park is part of the Tacoma Public Utilities group... here is the link for reservations: https://www.mytpu.org/tacomapower/pa...napam-park.htm

As far as RV's fitting in the spaces check out the length of each of them which you can see on the website when you look at sites. The get together has always been in the newer section rather than the old one but you can stay in whatever section you choose.

Yes, they do have the fishing bridge still and the fish I have seen people catch are I think they said small kokanee?

You are able to make reservations on the website for the date you want.

Either the new section or the old sections are both beautiful. The older section tends to be more shady and dark if that is what you prefer where the newer section is more open with more sun.

Deb
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:28 AM   #13

Washington
Registry
The newer section of the campground is more out in the open yet there are some sites that have plenty of shade from large trees. That time of year can be damp and if you are in the older campground you don't get much sun. We have had some weekends with near 80 temps and some where we hardly see the sun but that's the way camping is and we always make the best of it. Since free fishing weekend is the second weekend of June this year, there shouldn't be a problem finding a spot the first weekend. There is boat access and also plenty of bank access including the fishing bridge for fishing. Some years the fishing is really good and some not so good, it all depends on the water level of the lake. Water level depends on how much Tacoma Power is letting out or keeping in for power needs. The fish are mainly landlocked Coho salmon with a few Kokanee thrown in as well.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:40 AM   #14

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Chuck View Post
The get together has always been in the newer section rather than the old one but you can stay in whatever section you choose.
Deb
Not entirely true. When I first started the original WA Get-Together (back in 2008,) the very first one was held at Grayland Beach on the Pacific coast.
Then, the following year (2009) we held our second WA Get-Together at the Taidnapum campground, but it was held in the campsites which are now the "old part" of the park. The new campsites, (the 200's section,) were still under construction and weren't yet open when we had our first event there. Just a bit of history.

Several years ago, after spearheading this event in its infancy, I had to deal with some health issues, (namely, the Big C,) and so I passed the baton onto Kim (Possum) at that time. He has done an excellent job of organizing this event ever since, and it is probably only still in existence due to his efforts. Kudos Kim.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:54 AM   #15

Washington
Registry
While I appreciate the kind words, this gathering has been a group effort for quite some time now with a lot of help from a lot of folks. Roger has always been able to come up with ideas and activities and everyone has helped out with firewood, rain shelters and anything else we have needed. I sort of looked after it because I hated to see this gathering go away as it's the only one we have in Washington. While the Oregon NOG's are a ton of fun they are a little further away for some of us. I may have jumped the gun a little by bringing this gathering up so far in advance of the June date but it was on my mind so I figured why not. I found this 2014 slide show I did so if you want an idea of how it goes or how it went back then, take a look.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:55 AM   #16

Name: Lise
Trailer: Boler
Washington
Registry
Fun to see the video, looks like a great event!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-02-2016, 03:24 PM   #17

Registry
We reserved site 222. Hope to meet you there!

PS--this IS the only WAG isn't it?

Kai in Seattle
Paul & Kathleen near Renton
Old 10-02-2016, 05:25 PM   #18

Washington
Registry
Great. Yes, the only one........so far. It might be nice to think about a fall gathering as well and that's up for discussion.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:01 PM   #19

Registry
Paul and I would LOVE another WAG, possibly in the fall when the summer heat has shifted. Maybe not terribly far from Seattle.

Also, not conflicting with the early September Mt. Baker Vintage Trailer Rally in Lynden, which is a hoot that we hope to attend again.

Kai in Seattle
Old 10-03-2016, 08:26 AM   #20

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Paul and I would LOVE another WAG, possibly in the fall when the summer heat has shifted. Maybe not terribly far from Seattle.
Also, not conflicting with the early September Mt. Baker Vintage Trailer Rally in Lynden, which is a hoot that we hope to attend again.
Kai in Seattle
Sounds like you have the lead on this one Kai. Another "more local" event would probably find a following, since there are many F/G owners here in the Puget Sound area. Good project for you to spearhead.

And I just wanted to add that, although this is the only WA NOG, there is also another get-together that PaulW hosts each Spring at Maryhill near the Columbia River, (south of Yakima). I know that you already know about this one Kai, but I just mention it for any others who may not have heard of it. Due to the limited number of sites available at Maryhill, this get-together fills up very quickly.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...may-76224.html
Greg
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote