UT 2017, May 11-28: Southern Utah Tour - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive)
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-29-2016, 09:05 PM   #21

Trailer: 96 Casita Spirit Delux 16 ft
David and Mike
Please send me a note to my personal email address at the end of the announcement and I'll send you all the info you want.

Jim
I was going to suggest you come to Utah and leave early to go to the other rally - that is, until I realized that the other rally is in B.C.

Don in UT
Doninut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:31 AM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Since this seems to be a yearly jaunt, my questions is do you always take the same route and do the same activities? Not that I'm interested in attending every year, but this group IS on my bucket list.

In the several years this tour has been going on, I don't think I've ever seen a route published. Hummm
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:48 AM   #23

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
In past years I think I recall that Don has posted a detailed itinerary on the Casita forum, which I'd say is pretty much the same thing.

Walt
Old 10-30-2016, 11:20 AM   #24

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninut View Post
Jim
I was going to suggest you come to Utah and leave early to go to the other rally - that is, until I realized that the other rally is in B.C.
I had looked at that, but I will want to be at the Escape Rally by the Thursday, which would mean cutting off nearly a week of this tour.

Do you always do it at the same time, Don? One week earlier next year if you do it again would be nice.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:19 PM   #25

Donna, Walt and Jim
For many years now I have posted the announcement on Casita Club and the Casita Forum except last year when I couldn't get to post on the Casita Club so 2016 is missing. If you look in the archives you would find my posts and on Casita Forum each year.
For several years we only went to Capitol Reef, Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks along with some state parks, other national monuments and several parts of some of the parks that are seldom visited by visitors.

Last year (meaning May 2016) we included Arches and the Island in the Sky area of Canyonlands National Parks, another national monument as well as two special areas very infrequently visited by out-of-state visitors. These in addition to all the places we went on previous tours. On this tour you would see more than you could crowd into a trip you could plan because you would simply would be unaware of these places.

Each year I have posted a link to a detailed itinerary that is easy to follow on any Utah map.

Having lived in southern Utah for many years as well as having visited it annually when I lived in CA and continue to visit it whenever possible I know that it can be quite hot at times. I have concluded that May is the best time of year to visit because the weather is warm, the vegetation is green, the creeks and rivers are running to capacity with snow runoff and the onslaught to the more popular parks has not yet begun in earnest. I wouldn't want to begin any earlier because it would begin to get a little hot. However in June of '15 I took some local friends and did a pre-run of the expanded tour and the weather was great. If there was enough interest I would be willing to go in early June.

I will attempt to attach a link to the itinerary to this post. I attempted to do this before without success so all you have to do to get an itinerary is to send me an email at dtaylor@sisna.com

I am unable to upload the Word doc with the itinerary. I'll figure it out later. Was able to post some pictures of previous tours. The mountain lion was one we encountered on one tour at the entrance to a slot canyon.

Don in UT

P.S. Donna
If the tour is really on your bucket list, I would recommend that you try to go on this one. I don't know if this one will be the last one or not but I know there won't be many more of them.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1170-X3.jpg   IMG_1103.jpg  

Caravan2.jpg  
Old 10-31-2016, 06:01 PM   #26

Name: jack
Trailer: Bigfoot
Arizona
I'm interested. Thanks.

jack damron
tidewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidewater View Post
I'm interested. Thanks.

jack damron
Tidewater
Remember that registration is as soon as your computer clock turns over on 1 November tonight! Please send me an email with the requested information in that order. Then I will send you your copy of the itinerary.

Just noticed that you also live in SLC. I live near Brick Yard Plaza. How about you?

Don in UT
Old 10-31-2016, 06:37 PM   #28

Arizona
No, Don. I live in Newport News, VA. But I'm planning to move west within the next few months to a place yet to be determined...

jack
Old 10-31-2016, 06:43 PM   #29

Sorry. I am not very familiar with this site yet. I just made a mistake.
Don
Old 10-31-2016, 06:49 PM   #30

Arizona
No issue at all, Don. I hope to be able to meet you soon in your part of the country.

jack
Old 11-01-2016, 08:34 AM   #31

Name: Frank
Trailer: RV soon to be added !!
Central Texas
Registry
17 Utah tour

Hi Don, Was really interested in this tour but noticed you have filled all slots as of 10:58 PM last night. Just a suggestion, maybe a "spring" and "fall" tour is in order. Having said that, it really looks like a great time. After watching the posts on this thread and others, Utah is a must in my schedule for '17, even if solo....
All of you attending, have an Awesome time and upload lots of photos.

Frank
frankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:57 PM   #32

Donna
I responded to you below but see now that I should have responded via this way. Would you please send me an email to my home address or a PM on one of the Casita sites.
Thanks, Don
Old 11-01-2016, 01:08 PM   #33

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninut View Post
Donna
I responded to you below but see now that I should have responded via this way. Would you please send me an email to my home address or a PM on one of the Casita sites.
Thanks, Don
I just sent you an email to your home address Don
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:50 AM   #34

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
We are planning a trip like that to see the Mighty Five in May also do you have to have reservations to go to these parks or are they big enough to just drive in and get a site?
CindyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:06 AM   #35

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Cindy, if you're planning to stay within the Parks, check https://www.recreation.gov/ to determine site availability at the various campgrounds. I think you'll find the selections for May limited at best. Having said that, some campgrounds have non-reservable sites and there are numerous dispersed camping options on public lands just outside the Parks so you should be able to find something if you're flexible.

We're part of Don's group and have reservations only for Zion but it certainly helps that he knows the area well. Maybe we'll see you folks there.

Al & Cindy
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:12 AM   #36

Trailer: 2002 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyJ View Post
We are planning a trip like that to see the Mighty Five in May also do you have to have reservations to go to these parks or are they big enough to just drive in and get a site?
You can probably get a site in Capitol Reef and Bryce with an early arrival(before noon). I would definitely make reservations for Arches, Zion, and Canyonlands if any sites are still available. There's also Dead Horse Point SP and Horse Thief campground between Arches and Canyonlands. Horse Thief is first come-first serve.
Jerry Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:05 AM   #37

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I believe the Devils Garden Campground, the only campground in Arches N.P., is closed for the year for construction. There are numerous nice camping opportunities outside some of the Utah National Parks. The Utah tourist promotion "see Utah's Big Five" has been very successful. Like Al and Cindy K, I will be with Don's group and we made reservations at Zion the day the six month advance window opened. Utah is wonderful and May is prime time to visit but be prepared for crowds.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:49 PM   #38

Name: Mo
Trailer: Still looking
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Chapman View Post
You can probably get a site in Capitol Reef and Bryce with an early arrival(before noon). I would definitely make reservations for Arches, Zion, and Canyonlands if any sites are still available. There's also Dead Horse Point SP and Horse Thief campground between Arches and Canyonlands. Horse Thief is first come-first serve.
Horsethief Campground (BLM) has no amenities (no water available and no hookups of any kind; pit toilets only). Each site does have a picnic table and fire pit. Tanker trucks and other trucks passed by on the gravel road adjacent to the campground; try for a site away from the road. There was a campground host when we were there Sept. 2014.

Dead Horse Point State Park is very nice, with spectacular views at the Point and nice trails for walking. It is almost 6,000' elevation; I suspect that nights could be nippy in May. Our site had a covered picnic table on a concrete slab with a nice lockable cupboard. There was a communal wash up area (big sink for washing dishes and pots and pans) outside the bathrooms. Can't remember if the bathrooms had showers.

If there any mountain bikers reading, Horse Thief Campground is close to the Gemini Bridges riding area and Dead Horse Point State Park has a great intermediate trail system, with some fun beginner options.
June Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:53 PM   #39

Cindy J
Please send me an email to my home address at the bottom of my original post and I will send you some info. I attempted to send you an attachment to you just now but only lost my attempted post.
Don