UT 2017, May 11-28: Southern Utah Tour - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2016, 10:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 96 Casita Spirit Delux 16 ft
2017, May 11-28: Southern Utah Tour

This rally is for Casitas and other molded fiberglass trailers.

2017 Southern Utah Tour 11 May - 28 May 2017

Just in case there is anyone who has never heard of this unique Casita rally I will give a brief explanation.* Several years ago we created a rally where we would meet and travel together to three of Utah’s beautiful national parks.* At first there were only a few that wanted to participate – maybe three or four.* However, as these participants went to other rallies and talked about the fun we had it became more and more popular until now when we have to turn away more than those we can accept as a manageable number of 15 rigs.* As of last year we included all five of Utah’s national parks.* We will do all five again this year.

Everyone has a GPS and atlas and can easily find their way to all these beautiful parks.* What we do is not only visit all the parks but we are with 16 other persons or couples of like mind and with whom they already share some preferences.* Also we don't travel from place to place by the most direct and quickest roads but by the most scenic way.* Some of our camping places are well “off the beaten path”.* We go to places that most Utah visitors never see nor know about.* The casual visitor would not chance taking the time to find these places even if they knew about them.* They would most likely “go with the crowd”.* After participating in a Southern Utah Tour you will have seen a good part of the southern part of the state.* Certainly enough to mark it off your bucket list.* We go from one campsite to the next via paved roads.* However, we do lead participants on side trips to places that can only be reached by dirt / gravel roads where there are points of interest and beauty you would not see otherwise.

All the places we go can be easily reached by any production pickup or SUV that has not been intentionally lowered.* By going to these places you will get some dust on your $40,000, 500 horsepower truck but we have located car washes for you.* Sometime we will pass over a section of road that may have significant wash boarding but your vehicle will easily handle it.* If it can’t you probably shouldn’t drive it to Utah with a trailer behind you.

We want folks to come on the tour who want to see more than what the beautiful parks offer.* This has never been the type of gathering where we park the trailer, roll out the carpet and awning or set up the auxiliary shelters, the imitation flower pots and pink flamingos and sit down.* It was designed for the young at heart (of any age) and curious of mind who wants to see and do more.* In the evening we will sit around the campfire and chat or listen to someone entertain by whatever means.* In the mornings we will either be visiting the local park(s) or taking a side trip we have planned for you.*

I have noted that since we posted the announcement for the 2016 tour, there have been over 4800 views of the announcement.* So it is apparent that there is still interest in becoming a part of the tour.* Because there are so many folks who are interested in coming along we worked out a method of selecting participants based upon the clock.* This is how it works.
At exactly midnight on 31 October 2016 Mountain Daylight Saving Time the registration will open.* No registration will be accepted before that time.* The clock on your computer screen will create a “postmark” on your registration email to me.*

Last year I had received emails with the requested information (see below) to fill our 15 slots plus 5 alternates by 0001 1 November 2015.* We have alternates to fill in a vacant slot if, and when, someone already selected has to cancel out.

The registration email from those interested must contain the following information in the following order.
1.****** Your name(s).*** Don and Betsy Taylor
2.****** The town (city) where you live.**** Salt Lake City, UT
3.****** An email address that you check frequently. ***dtaylor@sisna.com
4.****** Your home telephone number.*** 801-***-4979
5.****** Your travel (cell phone) number (can be the same).*** 801-***-4979
6.****** Year, make and color of your tow vehicle.* 4x4?** ’98 Toyota Tacoma Sunburst Red 4x4

We don’t need any other information from you until later but we want your initial registration request to contain all that information and in that order.* The information we ask for does not determine if you get a slot or not.* It is the information I need about those who are within the earliest 20 post marks.
This is the only fair way to conduct the registration that I can think of since I know that there are more people that want to go than we have slots for.* All you have to do is create an email addressed to me with the above information in the text.* When the clock on your computer reads exactly midnight and the date reads 11/1/ 2016 (allowing for your time zone difference)*click on “send”.* It does not matter that you are all the way on the east coast. The instant you hit “send” is the time of the postmark on your email to me.

We spend a tremendous amount of time and effort in making this rolling rally enjoyable and memorable for the participants.* We have done a pre-run of this tour, made numerous telephone calls and spent hours engaged in research and planning alternate campsites etc.* When we go on the tour we will incur pet care costs, campsite fees and gasoline expenses as well.* Therefore we are asking for a registration fee of $20 that will be refundable if, for any reason, you don’t go on the tour.* This should cover our expenses with a little for the effort involved.

For now I would like you to post a short post on this thread just to indicate your interest in coming on the tour.* This will let us know about how many are interested.

Don in UT dtaylor@sisna.com
Doninut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:29 AM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
No pink flamingos!!! I'm all in.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:46 AM   #3

Name: L (aka Scout)
Trailer: Scamp
Nevada
Utah Rally

I do not see an attachment link to check out. Am I missing it? Can you tell me what month/days this rally is? We take our FGRV down Utah dirt roads frequently. Utah is the most beautiful state in the lower 48, in my opinion. Of course, we are fond of our Nevada open spaces.
LBJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:05 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Definitely interested.

Thanks - Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:40 AM   #5

Name: Annie
Utah
Talking Utahhhhh

I'm a new girl here on this sight - Would love to apply. Unsure where to find your email address.
Typsy Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:17 PM   #6

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Here is the original post on CasitaClub that includes the files....
2017 Southern Utah Tour - Casita "Get-Together" and Rally Forum - The Casita Club Forums
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:23 PM   #7

Southern Utah Tour May 11 to May 28 2017

Thank you for posting about your interest in the tour. Please send me an email to my home address, dtaylor@sisna.com . I will send you more information.

I have led these southern Utah tours for about ten years and know how to take participants to places they didn't know existed in addition to the five fantastic national parks. I do not guide you within the parks - although I did that for a couple of seasons for a private company. I just guide you to campgrounds and highways with the best scenery. Not the shortest route but the most beautiful.

Don in UT
Old 10-25-2016, 06:06 PM   #8

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Definitely interested.

Walt
Old 10-25-2016, 08:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I would be interested in something like this. I love the to NP''s I have seen in Utah, and seeing the rest is definitely on a bucket list.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:11 PM   #10

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
We are interested in attending.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:10 PM   #11

I have added the dates of the tour in the heading and deleted the misleading line about additional info.
Thank you for "flipping the switch" for me. I think it is complete now. When you send me a short email I will send you additional info.

Is there a way to add a picture to posts here? I attempted to add one before without success.

Don in UT
Old 10-26-2016, 12:20 AM   #12

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Hello Don, My wife and I would be very excited about the possibility of joining with you and the others on such an adventure.

Thank you for all you do. Steve and Tali Tupelo, MS
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:00 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninut View Post
Is there a way to add a picture to posts here? I attempted to add one before without success.
Here is a tutorial on how to add photos to a post from the Forums 101 thread, Don.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post217275
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-26-2016, 08:26 AM   #14

Name: Jack
Iowa
Sounds exciting yes we are interested
jjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:45 PM   #15

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Don, thanks for the email with the additional information. I will be submitting a request to join you per the instructions.

Thanks - Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:53 PM   #16

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
I also would be interested. As a resident of S. UT, I have only explored a small portion of UT. Would like to have an experienced guide to show me the good places.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:59 PM   #17

Name: Peggy & Dennis
Trailer: 19' Escape
Bay Area, California

We would love to be able to join you on your trip. You'll be hearing from us on the 1st! Thanks
Peggy & Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 03:19 PM   #18

Name: David
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Alberta
Southern Utah

Definitely interested
Dave and Kim
19 Foot Escape Trailer
David Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 04:06 PM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Only 15! Sounds like a spin of the roulette wheel to get on board. So many will be left out. May I be so bold as to make a suggestion? Perhaps you could post the routing and campground info at some point in time, so the others who don't get in on this tour could conduct their own independent tour some other time, on their own schedule.

Personally, I like seeing Utah but I'll be working during these tour dates... alas!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 04:46 PM   #20

Registry
My wife just pointed out a conflict. This tour ends the same weekend of the Escape Rally in Osoyoos. This is too bad. If you were to do it again Don, it would be fantastic if there was not this overlap. I had been looking forward to seeing if we could get on board with you. Can't do everything I guess.