AZ 2019, Feb 4-10: Quartzsite Gathering 2019 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2018, 12:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
2019, Feb 4-10: Quartzsite Gathering 2019

2019 Quartzsite Gathering Hosts: Scamp Owners International

This gathering is for all brands of Molded Fiberglass Trailers! Like Salmon returning home all brands of Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers make the annual pilgrimage to the AZ Desert.

Dates: Feb 4-10th

February 4th to 7th - Early bird Quartzsite Pre-Gathering (Mon thru Thurs)
February 8th to 10th - Main Event (Friday thru Sunday)

If you can attend the Main Gathering, the Pre-Gathering, or the entire Quartzsite Gathering we’d love to have you come and enjoy the good times. Some even stay for a Post-Gathering for a few days if you’re so inclined.

Mark the dates. Details of the event will be posted mid-summer.

2019 Event Headquarters:
https://www.scampowners.com/forums/2...-international

Last years recap:
https://www.scampowners.com/comment/10472#comment-10472
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:24 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
i will be there

greg I was there last year may have went too early but we will be there next year.

thanks for the notice

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:52 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
You may be interested in attending week long camping at the Lake Havasu City Rodeo Grounds for 4 nights of fireworks the week after the Quartzsite Rally. I have a journal of my time there in 2018 with links to lots of photos. Here is a link to the thread I started for the event.

They will try to get us together as a group if you put "Fiberglass" in the group field when registering. More information & registration is at Havasu Rodeo & Events. Let me know if you have any questions about the event. I don't work for the rodeo grounds, but had a great time.

This event sells out every year, so if interested, reserve early!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:16 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Fireworks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
You may be interested in attending week long camping at the Lake Havasu City Rodeo Grounds for 4 nights of fireworks the week after the Quartzsite Rally. I have a journal of my time there in 2018 with links to lots of photos. Here is a link to the thread I started for the event.

They will try to get us together as a group if you put "Fiberglass" in the group field when registering. More information & registration is at Havasu Rodeo & Events. Let me know if you have any questions about the event. I don't work for the rodeo grounds, but had a great time.

This event sells out every year, so if interested, reserve early!

Jon is right that they are exciting fireworks . .I have been there. The only fireworks display where the announcer kept saying, " Don't forget there are Eyewash Stations at both ends of the bleachers." They are close, and exciting ! BTW , there is BLM land across the road from the rodeo grounds, So you can see them with no reservations, stay one night or many for free !
Julie and I were down there last week : Quartzsite was very quiet, but the 3 beautiful AZ ST Parks on the Colorado above Parker were beautiful, and had some spaces each day. Happy Trails, David in Fresno and Sonora
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 04:59 PM   #5

New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post

Jon is right that they are exciting fireworks . .I have been there. The only fireworks display where the announcer kept saying, " Don't forget there are Eyewash Stations at both ends of the bleachers." They are close, and exciting ! BTW , there is BLM land across the road from the rodeo grounds, So you can see them with no reservations, stay one night or many for free !
Julie and I were down there last week : Quartzsite was very quiet, but the 3 beautiful AZ ST Parks on the Colorado above Parker were beautiful, and had some spaces each day. Happy Trails, David in Fresno and Sonora
I should clarify the rodeo grounds set up. The actual fireworks take place at the Havasu 95 Speedway at SARA Park. The Rodeo Grounds are also part of the SARA park, but separate form the fireworks. If you want to sit in the bleachers where the displays take place, there is a $5.00 charge per night. You can see the fireworks from the Rodeo Grounds (that is where I took the pictures from).

As David said, there is a BLM dispersed camping area directly across AZ 95 that is free (although very crowded during the fireworks). The advantage of the Rodeo Grounds is access to water, showers, and, on a couple of nights, an inexpensive dinner. While there are bleachers at the Rodeo Grounds, they are not an ideal location to watch the fireworks from. If you want to have the fallout raining down on you, head for the Speedway, but if you want to see them from a bit of distance, the Rodeo Grounds work well. Most of the front row sites will be taken by previous attendees, but we had no problems setting up chairs & tripods along the front row.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:27 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
thinking of going to Quartzite for the first time, never been there... where exactly does everyone camp? I gather its semi-dispersed BLM camping, but when I google Quartzite, I find a small town on I10.

we're thinking of a trip that will loop through there, spend a few nights, and visit other stuff coming and going from our Santa Cruz home base.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:39 PM   #7

New York
Registry
It is a small town on I 10 about 20 miles east of the California border. The rally is held at Dome Rock, a 14 day dispersed camping area about 4-5 miles west of the town. While camping is free for 14 days, you do need a permit, obtained from the host about 2 miles east of Dome Rock. GPS: 33.643617,-114.304752 for the camping area.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:59 PM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
thinking of going to Quartzite for the first time, never been there... where exactly does everyone camp? I gather its semi-dispersed BLM camping, but when I google Quartzite, I find a small town on I10.

we're thinking of a trip that will loop through there, spend a few nights, and visit other stuff coming and going from our Santa Cruz home base.
Use the spelling QUARTZSITE, and NOT Quartzite will give you the results you are looking for.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:16 PM   #9

Mid Left Coast
heh. I found the dome rock campground.

tentattively planning a 2 week trip with flexible dates, santa cruz -> mojave -> quartzsite -> death valley -> alabama hills -> santa cruz. about 1600 miles total. several nights spent at each stop. get home the day before presidents day.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:26 AM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
It's basic desert boondock camping John. The Dome Rock area is pretty big and has two levels. You can park where ever you like. We always park up on the ridge, maybe 20' higher than the main level but it's a bit rocky on the north side of the road, the lower level is a lot smoother. Jon V has posted many picks of the different years rallies there. Someone last year even posted a drone flight over the rally. Might check those out to see what's happening there.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:39 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
It's basic desert boondock camping John. The Dome Rock area is pretty big and has two levels. You can park where ever you like. We always park up on the ridge, maybe 20' higher than the main level but it's a bit rocky on the north side of the road, the lower level is a lot smoother. Jon V has posted many picks of the different years rallies there. Someone last year even posted a drone flight over the rally. Might check those out to see what's happening there.
Not knowing where things were happening there, and never having been there before, we set up on the ridge too. Only later did was I told I was camping on Snob Hill which was kinda neat, as I have been accused of lots of things before, but never being a snob.

I remember seeing the drone, but never saw any footage. Do you know of a link?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:57 AM   #12

New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Not knowing where things were happening there, and never having been there before, we set up on the ridge too. Only later did was I told I was camping on Snob Hill which was kinda neat, as I have been accused of lots of things before, but never being a snob.

I remember seeing the drone, but never saw any footage. Do you know of a link?
Old 10-21-2018, 01:20 PM   #13

Mid Left Coast
aeseome, thanks for the link.

say... is most of the ground firm enough that you can get around on a fat tire cruiser bike fairly easily? my wife has trouble walking any distance, bad knee, but she can putz along on her bike all day as long as its hard pack and not deep gravel or too sandy...

and, I see a dog in that video there, so I presume its OK to bring one? we hate leaving our elderly yellow lab as she's not got much more left to her life and really enjoys being with us.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:27 PM   #14

New York
Registry
Quote:

say... is most of the ground firm enough that you can get around on a fat tire cruiser bike fairly easily? my wife has trouble walking any distance, bad knee, but she can putz along on her bike all day as long as its hard pack and not deep gravel or too sandy...

and, I see a dog in that video there, so I presume its OK to bring one? we hate leaving our elderly yellow lab as she's not got much more left to her life and really enjoys being with us.
The roads will be fine, although sometimes a bit rutted. Cross country can be difficult - lots of gullies, and larger rocks. The lower camping area is flat & pretty much free of obstacles. Everything except washes consists of hard packed gravel.

As to dogs, there is a leash rule on the BLM property, although not everyone follows it. Quartszite is one of the few places I've been bitten by a dog (although not one of the rally group). I have been chased by one of ours...
Old 10-21-2018, 01:30 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:

The ground is very firm. It seems like anything loose was either washed off or blown away. Fair bit rocky too. Easy to ride bikes on, I bombed around a lot on my bike.

No problems with dogs, Jasper enjoyed himself.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-21-2018, 01:57 PM   #16

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
The roads will be fine, although sometimes a bit rutted. Cross country can be difficult - lots of gullies, and larger rocks. The lower camping area is flat & pretty much free of obstacles. Everything except washes consists of hard packed gravel.

As to dogs, there is a leash rule on the BLM property, although not everyone follows it. Quartszite is one of the few places I've been bitten by a dog (although not one of the rally group). I have been chased by one of ours...
well, Maggie has a lot of arthritis and can barely hobble around, and has never bitten anyone in her 12 years, although she's licked almost everyone who would let her. we'd be keeping her on leash except maybe for remote walks with her under close voice control, and not in the middle of the camping area.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:32 PM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

Snob Hill, that's funny Jim. We camp up there because the rigs aren't so close together. I like a campfire and stay up late so the extra distance makes for happier neighbors . Are you making the Q this year?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:28 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Snob Hill, that's funny Jim. We camp up there because the rigs aren't so close together. I like a campfire and stay up late so the extra distance makes for happier neighbors . Are you making the Q this year?
We will almost certainly be there again. Never had too much fun. Besides, gotta kick some American butt in Snake Toss (Ladder Ball down there).
Old 10-21-2018, 07:03 PM   #19

Mid Left Coast
whoops, now my wife wants to instead do a trip a little later in the spring to Canyonlands etc, she doesn't have enough vacation time to do both trips along with our other committments.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:04 PM   #20
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
whoops, now my wife wants to instead do a trip a little later in the spring to Canyonlands etc, she doesn't have enough vacation time to do both trips along with our other committments.
I knew you shouldn't've told her Bennett was going to be there.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is online now   Reply With Quote