UT 2019, May 8-27: Southern Utah Tour - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2018, 06:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 96 Casita Spirit Delux 16 ft
2019, May 8-27: Southern Utah Tour

This post is to announce the 2019 Southern Utah Tour. Again this year we hope to visit all five of Utah’s national parks.
Because of overcrowding at some of the parks, we will only be taking 12 rigs in hopes it will make obtaining reservations easier. Also, we would like to have those who have never been on one of our tours apply.
Please be aware that Utah is desert, mountains and canyons. This tour will be through all of these environments. If you are so afraid of heights that you are terrified and have to close your eyes, this tour is NOT for you. If you are unable to function normally when you go over a rough road it is NOT for you. If you simply cannot stand the thought of dust on (and probably in) your tow vehicle, again it’s NOT for you. We will be boondocking the entire trip. NO hookups! Learning to conserve is simple and many have done so on our tours…It is unfair to bring someone else who will react negatively to the above mentioned situations – unfair to them, the rest of the group and to us.
Everyone has a GPS and atlas and can easily find their way to all these beautiful parks. What we do is not only visit all the parks but we are with other persons or couples of like mind and with whom they already share some preferences. Also we don’t travel from place to place by the most direct and quickest roads but by the most scenic way. Some of our camping places are well “off the beaten path”. We go to places that most Utah visitors never see nor know about. The casual visitor would not chance taking the time to find these places even if they knew about them. They would most likely “go with the crowd”. After participating in a Southern Utah Tour you will have seen a good part of the southern part of the state. Certainly enough to mark it off your bucket list. We go from one campsite to the next via paved roads. However, we do lead participants on side trips to places that can only be reached by dirt / gravel roads where there are points of interest and beauty you would not see otherwise.
All the places we go can be easily reached by any production pickup or SUV that has not been intentionally lowered. By going to these places you will get some dust on your $40000, 500 horsepower truck but we have located car washes for you. Sometime we will pass over a section of road that may have significant wash boarding but your vehicle will easily handle it. If it can’t you probably shouldn’t drive it to Utah with a trailer behind you. You don’t have to have a truck or SUV to come on the tour. Someone will invite you to come with them for places you can’t go.
We want folks to come on the tour who want to see more than what the beautiful parks offer. This has never been the type of gathering where we park the trailer, roll out the carpet and awning or set up the auxiliary shelters, the imitation flower pots and pink flamingos and sit down. It was designed for those who want to see and do more. In the evening we will sit around the campfire and chat or listen to someone entertain by whatever means. In the mornings we will either be visiting the local park(s) or taking a side trip we have planned for you.
I have noted that since we posted the announcement for the 2018 tour, there have been over 3000 views on one site and over 5000 views on another of the announcement. So it is apparent that there is still interest in becoming a part of the tour. Because there are so many folks who are interested in coming along we worked out a method of selecting participants based upon the clock. This is how it works.
At exactly midnight on 31 October 2018 Mountain Time the registration will open. No registration will be accepted before that time. The clock on your computer screen will create a “postmark” on your registration email to me. Last year I had received emails with the requested information (see below) to fill our 12 slots plus 5 alternates by 0001 1 November 2017. We have alternates to fill in a vacant slot if, and when, someone already selected has to cancel out.
The registration email from those interested must contain the following information in the following order.
1. Your name(s). Don and Betsy Taylor
2. The town (city) where you live. Salt Lake City, UT
3. An email address that you check frequently. dtaylor@sisna.com
4. Your home telephone number. 801-***-4979
5. Your travel (cell phone) number (can be the same). 801-***-4979
6. Year, make and color of your tow vehicle. 4x4? ’98 Toyota Tacoma Sunburst Red 4x4
We don’t need any other information from you until later but we want your initial registration request to contain all that information and in that order. The information we ask for does not determine if you get a slot or not. It is the information I need about those who are within the earliest 17 post marks to create a roster.
This is the only fair way to conduct the registration that I can think of since I know that there are more people that want to go than we have slots for. All you have to do is create an email addressed to me with the above information in the text. When the clock on your computer reads exactly midnight and the date reads 11/1/ 2018 click on “send”. It does not matter that you are all the way on the east coast. The instant you hit “send” is the time of the postmark on your email to me. However, the quality and speed of your ISP may make a difference. I selected the midnight hour because there would probably be less internet traffic.
We spend a tremendous amount of time and effort in making this rolling rally exciting, enjoyable and memorable for the participants. We have done a pre-run of this tour, made numerous telephone calls and spent hours engaged in research and planning alternate campsites etc. When we go on the tour we will incur campsite fees and gasoline expenses as well. Our greatest expense is pet care while gone.
Therefore we are asking for a registration fee of $20 that will be refundable if, for any reason, you don’t go on the tour. This should cover at least some of our expenses. Please make a post here if you are interested in coming along.
Don in UT

P.S. Please go to Facebook or You Tube and do a search for "2018 Southern Utah Tour" to see a video created by a great couple on that tour.
Doninut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Darn, once again I can't consider this great sounding trip, as May is our only month with annual commitments, which includes the Escape rally the last full weekend. Just about any other time (except of course the middle of summer) would sure be nice.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:28 AM   #3

Jim
I'm sorry that you have to again miss the tour. We have thought about changing the tour dates but believe that May is the best all round month as the weather is warm but moderate. The last two summers the temps in southern Utah have been downright hot! 2019 will almost certainly be our last tour.
Don
Old 10-05-2018, 12:46 PM   #4

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I was on this year's tour and would go again but for the request not to from Don. As almost all have said over the years it's a once in a lifetime experience.

Don: I hope it goes well and I'll always have fond memories of you and Betsy.

Walt
Old 10-05-2018, 02:28 PM   #5

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Darn, and we so wanted to go.

Disqualified for so many reasons, not the least of which is a deep visceral fear of heights ever since my father thought it was funny to pretend to throw me off a beach cliff in Oregon when I was 7.

Never mind that we don't boondock.

Lucky for others who do get to go, sounds like a fantastic, if rigorous, trip of a lifetime.

BEST,
Kathleen
"K"
Old 10-05-2018, 02:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninut View Post
Jim
I'm sorry that you have to again miss the tour. We have thought about changing the tour dates but believe that May is the best all round month as the weather is warm but moderate. The last two summers the temps in southern Utah have been downright hot! 2019 will almost certainly be our last tour.
Don
No worries Don, you are doing all the legwork so it has to work for you. Heck, just a week earlier and we good likely swing it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:17 PM   #7

Walt
It was an honor to have you along - especially since you had tried and failed to "make the cut" before. We both enjoyed your being in the group. You always took part in some of the activities going on. That's what we like to see - folks having fun.
We have asked that only those who have never been on the tour before sign up because we are pretty certain the 2019 tour will be our last and we want to let as many folks as possible get a comprehensive tour of southern Utah.
Don and Betsy
Old 10-05-2018, 03:28 PM   #8

Kathleen
Sorry your dad did that to you. Sometimes we parents do some things to our children just "funning" and don't realize the damage. I think most look back and cringe.

Yes, we think the tour is "fantastic" but maybe "busy" is a better word than "rigorous".
Don and Betsy
Old 10-05-2018, 04:27 PM   #9

Missed PM

Someone (a lady I think) attempted to send me a PM when I opened the site. I had received them before without any problem. However, I inadvertently deleted it and I don't know how or why. I doubt there is any way to retrieve it.
Anyway, if you happen to see this post would you please either try again or send me an email to my personal email address within the text of the announcement?

I'm interested in whatever you have to say.

Don in UT
Old 10-06-2018, 08:19 AM   #10

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Don, its great that you and Betsy are continuing this for another year. However, I would caution any prospective attendees that, after our adventures on the 2017 tour, I disagree with this statement in your post "After participating in a Southern Utah Tour you will have seen a good part of the southern part of the state. Certainly enough to mark it off your bucket list."

It could be I have a larger bucket, but our return to the area earlier this year was just as much fun. We re-visited many of the POI that you introduced us to and it really helped to have that background. I also appreciate you including Cindy, Henry, Lynn and me in the dutch oven cooking / evening campfire when our paths crossed in Zion. Next year's Spring trip for us will be to the Glacier/Yellowstone area and we'll likely go up through Utah so it could be we'll run into the SUT group again along the way.

Thanks again for the opportunity to see so many wonderful sights with a great bunch of people.

Al & Cindy
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:48 AM   #11

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Doninut: thanks! I'm sure he had no idea it would have such lasting effects; he could be quite funny, but it was often adult-appreciated humor and as a kid I was kinda dim. I was very glad you warned us about the heights...it changed my mind about deeply regretting not at least trying to sign up for it. Now I only very mildly regret it.

Have a wonderful trip...you and all who follow you. I've followed the various threads about it that have come into my e-mail from FGRV and think it is a wonderful idea and great of you to lead it...

I'll accept "busy" as a better adjective for it...though as lazy as I am, almost anything is rigorous for me.

BEST
Kathleen
"K"
Old 10-06-2018, 12:54 PM   #12

Name: Stacy
Trailer: Looking!
Wisconsin
Wow, I am super interested in doing this!! I don't even own a trailer yet, but just bought my tow vehicle (old Honda Pilot). Plan now is to buy a used 13' Scamp or similar. So I will be a true newbie! I am very much interested in learning the ins and outs of boondocking, as that would be my preferred method of travel. And I LOVE Utah, deserts, and the Southwest. I will set a timer and get my email in on 10/31! How wonderful of you to organize this!
-Stacy
StacyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:35 PM   #13

Name: John & Gloria
Trailer: Bigfoot 21RB
Florida
Don, My wife Gloria and I would like to try for a spot on your excursion. Everything you describe in your description of the trip is what makes it all the better. I look forward to getting your email address so we can meet the deadline.

Best Regards, John and Gloria
Travelin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:42 PM   #14

Al and Cindy
We were delighted to spend that evening with the two of you last spring and would love to do so again.

"Spring trip for us will be to the Glacier/Yellowstone area and we'll likely go up through Utah so it could be we'll run into the SUT group again along the way."

I haven't created the itinerary yet so make sure you remind me if I forget to send you one. We would love to see you again.
Don and Betsy
Old 10-06-2018, 04:09 PM   #15

Stacy

I don't know how familiar with trailers but, living in Wisconsin, I hope you have someplace where you can "make it yours" inside. I'm sure this site has good info about what to look for and what to avoid. Also about winterization.

John and Gloria

Make sure you read carefully about exactly how you get a slot on the tour. Many miss out because they misunderstand.

My email address is the one I used in the example in the announcement. Good luck.

Don
Old 10-10-2018, 10:23 AM   #16

Name: Philip
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
We're in!

Hi,

The Bookers from Auburn, Ca would love to join your tour.

We have a 1995 Bigfoot 17 towed by a 2006 Toyota Tundra V-8.

Fond memories of Canyonlands and the White Rim Trail.
Fullbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:27 PM   #17

Welcome to the Bookers. As I tell everyone, make sure you read the instructions carefully.
Don
Old 10-13-2018, 04:57 PM   #18

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
Don,

I’m a little confused about your instructions. You say that registration will open at “exactly midnight on 31 October 2018 Mountain Time.” Then later you suggest that “when the clock on your computer reads exactly midnight and the date reads 11/1/2018 click on ‘send’.”

Because we live in the Pacific time zone, it wii be 11 PM at our house when it is midnight Mountain Time. If we “click” then, will we be too early? If we wait until midnight Pacific Time it will be 1 AM Mountain Time. If we click then, will we be too late.

Please clarify when we should “click”. Midnight our time or midnight Mountain Time? Am I missing something in the instructions?

Thanks,

Doug Hepper
Doug in Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:45 PM   #19

When to click "send"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug in Sacramento View Post
Don,

I’m a little confused about your instructions. You say that registration will open at “exactly midnight on 31 October 2018 Mountain Time.” Then later you suggest that “when the clock on your computer reads exactly midnight and the date reads 11/1/2018 click on ‘send’.”

Because we live in the Pacific time zone, it wii be 11 PM at our house when it is midnight Mountain Time. If we “click” then, will we be too early? If we wait until midnight Pacific Time it will be 1 AM Mountain Time. If we click then, will we be too late.

Please clarify when we should “click”. Midnight our time or midnight Mountain Time? Am I missing something in the instructions?

Thanks,

Doug Hepper
Hi Doug

At the beginning of paragraph two you have it figured out. The instant you hit the "send" button on your message to me with the information I asked, my computer assigns the post mark in Mountain Time. When your CA computer rolls over 11:00 p.m. hit the message "send" button. This system has worked for many years and I always have all the participants and five alternates selected by 0001 Mountain Time. Believe it or not, many of the successful participants practice by sending a message to someone just as the hour rolls over. It works.

You may notice that I almost always advise potential participants to carefully read the instructions. They literally come from all over the country plus Canada.

Good luck,

Don
Old 10-14-2018, 10:37 AM   #20

Name: Zac & Cathy
Trailer: Burro & 2006 21ft. BigFoot
California
Registry
Hi,
We travel with our two dogs so we are wondering if they would be allowed and welcomed at this rally?
Avey is offline   Reply With Quote