UT 2019, May 8-27: Southern Utah Tour - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2018, 02:26 PM   #21

Trailer: 96 Casita Spirit Delux 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avey View Post
Hi,
We travel with our two dogs so we are wondering if they would be allowed and welcomed at this rally?

Yes, your dogs are welcome - as long as they are obedient and you are able to control them. However all national parks require that they be on leash at all times. Zion Canyon National Park will not permit your dog on the trams unless they are genuine (provable) service dogs. They are also not permitted on any hiking trail. That would mean that you would have to take turns watching the dogs and seeing the sights or leaving them in the trailer. If they are very placid and will just sleep while you are gone you do have electricity for your AC there.

Don
Doninut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:26 PM   #22

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Pa’rus trail at Zion allows pets. Otherwise no pets on trails. No hot water and no showers inside the park. But there are private shower facilities in town just across the walking bridge.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:50 PM   #23

Name: Zac & Cathy
Trailer: Burro & 2006 21ft. BigFoot
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninut View Post
Yes, your dogs are welcome - as long as they are obedient and you are able to control them. However all national parks require that they be on leash at all times. Zion Canyon National Park will not permit your dog on the trams unless they are genuine (provable) service dogs. They are also not permitted on any hiking trail. That would mean that you would have to take turns watching the dogs and seeing the sights or leaving them in the trailer. If they are very placid and will just sleep while you are gone you do have electricity for your AC there.

Don
I just found what I think looks like a great Doggie daycare just 4 miles outside of Zion National Park. Reservations are a good idea as they fill up fast. It's called "Doggy Dude Ranch"
Avey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:34 PM   #24

Name: Mary
Trailer: Casita
WI
Utah trip

Hi Don and Betsy,
We got our new-to-us Casita trailer 3 years ago and have had many wonderful adventures so far. Our pull vehicle is a 2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4.

We were planning on visiting the Utah National Parks in 2020 but would love to move it to 2019 if we make the cut. Our home is in the northwoods of Wisconsin so I'm a little nervous about our internet speed but we will give it our best shot!

Things like this don't happen without committed, giving leaders. Thank you for planning such an amazing trip!

Fellow rollers,
Mary and Jon
Jon and Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:17 PM   #25

Jon and Mary

Welcome. If you have a friend who has top notch ISP and is willing to have you visit until 1:00 a.m. you could send your info from there. I'm just looking for the first ones to get in under the wire.

Bill
Pa'rus "trail" is a concrete walkway designed for wheelchairs and seniors. I was thinking about hiking trails.
Avey
We will be in Zion Canyon NP on Memorial Day weekend. I've seen the line of cars waiting to get in almost to the dog boarding facility you mentioned. I'm thinking it might take a long time to get back to your trailer. By the time we are at Zion you almost certainly will have made friends that would take care of the critters while you enjoy the park. Just trade doggie sitting duties maybe.

Don
Old 10-21-2018, 05:02 PM   #26

Name: Yvonne
California
Interested

My husband and I will attempt to register for your Utah tour but don’t know what email address to send the registration to on the 31st. Please let me know who to email the registration to. Thanks
Pinkdoglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:01 PM   #27

Yvonne
If you go back to the example given regarding registration, I used information about my wife and myself. The email address given in the example is mine. Be among the first to register at that address and you will get a slot on the tour.
Don
Old 10-22-2018, 07:11 AM   #28

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Jon and Mary

Welcome. If you have a friend who has top notch ISP and is willing to have you visit until 1:00 a.m. you could send your info from there. I'm just looking for the first ones to get in under the wire.

Bill
Pa'rus "trail" is a concrete walkway designed for wheelchairs and seniors. I was thinking about hiking trails.
Avey
We will be in Zion Canyon NP on Memorial Day weekend. I've seen the line of cars waiting to get in almost to the dog boarding facility you mentioned. I'm thinking it might take a long time to get back to your trailer. By the time we are at Zion you almost certainly will have made friends that would take care of the critters while you enjoy the park. Just trade doggie sitting duties maybe.

Don

Yes, its disappointing the trail limitations for dogs at Zion. Many of the lower trails could be dog friendly, but they are sadly not. Still Zion is my favorite National Park, and I have been to most of them.

We have used Red Rock Pet Resort in St George many times for daycare and overnight too. Excellent! St George is about an hour from Zion, and makes a great place to reload supplies, with all the stores from Costco to whatever.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:40 AM   #29

Bill
Don't know if you are aware but there is a Super Walmart at the west end of Hurricane, UT which is quite a bit closer to Zion than St. George.
Don
Old 11-04-2018, 07:54 AM   #30

Name: John & Gloria
Trailer: Bigfoot 21RB
Florida
Quote:
This post is to announce the 2019 Southern Utah Tour. Again this year we hope to visit all five of Utah’s national parks.
Because of overcrowding at some of the parks, we will only be taking 12 rigs in hopes it will make obtaining reservations easier. Also, we would like to have those who have never been on one of our tours apply.
Please be aware that Utah is desert, mountains and canyons. This tour will be through all of these environments. If you are so afraid of heights that you are terrified and have to close your eyes, this tour is NOT for you. If you are unable to function normally when you go over a rough road it is NOT for you. If you simply cannot stand the thought of dust on (and probably in) your tow vehicle, again it’s NOT for you. We will be boondocking the entire trip. NO hookups! Learning to conserve is simple and many have done so on our tours…It is unfair to bring someone else who will react negatively to the above mentioned situations – unfair to them, the rest of the group and to us.
Everyone has a GPS and atlas and can easily find their way to all these beautiful parks. What we do is not only visit all the parks but we are with other persons or couples of like mind and with whom they already share some preferences. Also we don’t travel from place to place by the most direct and quickest roads but by the most scenic way. Some of our camping places are well “off the beaten path”. We go to places that most Utah visitors never see nor know about. The casual visitor would not chance taking the time to find these places even if they knew about them. They would most likely “go with the crowd”. After participating in a Southern Utah Tour you will have seen a good part of the southern part of the state. Certainly enough to mark it off your bucket list. We go from one campsite to the next via paved roads. However, we do lead participants on side trips to places that can only be reached by dirt / gravel roads where there are points of interest and beauty you would not see otherwise.
All the places we go can be easily reached by any production pickup or SUV that has not been intentionally lowered. By going to these places you will get some dust on your $40000, 500 horsepower truck but we have located car washes for you. Sometime we will pass over a section of road that may have significant wash boarding but your vehicle will easily handle it. If it can’t you probably shouldn’t drive it to Utah with a trailer behind you. You don’t have to have a truck or SUV to come on the tour. Someone will invite you to come with them for places you can’t go.
We want folks to come on the tour who want to see more than what the beautiful parks offer. This has never been the type of gathering where we park the trailer, roll out the carpet and awning or set up the auxiliary shelters, the imitation flower pots and pink flamingos and sit down. It was designed for those who want to see and do more. In the evening we will sit around the campfire and chat or listen to someone entertain by whatever means. In the mornings we will either be visiting the local park(s) or taking a side trip we have planned for you.
I have noted that since we posted the announcement for the 2018 tour, there have been over 3000 views on one site and over 5000 views on another of the announcement. So it is apparent that there is still interest in becoming a part of the tour. Because there are so many folks who are interested in coming along we worked out a method of selecting participants based upon the clock. This is how it works.
At exactly midnight on 31 October 2018 Mountain Time the registration will open. No registration will be accepted before that time. The clock on your computer screen will create a “postmark” on your registration email to me. Last year I had received emails with the requested information (see below) to fill our 12 slots plus 5 alternates by 0001 1 November 2017. We have alternates to fill in a vacant slot if, and when, someone already selected has to cancel out.
The registration email from those interested must contain the following information in the following order.
1. Your name(s). Don and Betsy Taylor
2. The town (city) where you live. Salt Lake City, UT
3. An email address that you check frequently. dtaylor@sisna.com
4. Your home telephone number. 801-***-4979
5. Your travel (cell phone) number (can be the same). 801-***-4979
6. Year, make and color of your tow vehicle. 4x4? ’98 Toyota Tacoma Sunburst Red 4x4
We don’t need any other information from you until later but we want your initial registration request to contain all that information and in that order. The information we ask for does not determine if you get a slot or not. It is the information I need about those who are within the earliest 17 post marks to create a roster.
This is the only fair way to conduct the registration that I can think of since I know that there are more people that want to go than we have slots for. All you have to do is create an email addressed to me with the above information in the text. When the clock on your computer reads exactly midnight and the date reads 11/1/ 2018 click on “send”. It does not matter that you are all the way on the east coast. The instant you hit “send” is the time of the postmark on your email to me. However, the quality and speed of your ISP may make a difference. I selected the midnight hour because there would probably be less internet traffic.
We spend a tremendous amount of time and effort in making this rolling rally exciting, enjoyable and memorable for the participants. We have done a pre-run of this tour, made numerous telephone calls and spent hours engaged in research and planning alternate campsites etc. When we go on the tour we will incur campsite fees and gasoline expenses as well. Our greatest expense is pet care while gone.
Therefore we are asking for a registration fee of $20 that will be refundable if, for any reason, you don’t go on the tour. This should cover at least some of our expenses. Please make a post here if you are interested in coming along.
Don in UT

P.S. Please go to Facebook or You Tube and do a search for "2018 Southern Utah Tour" to see a video created by a great couple on that tour.

I must have read these instructions a dozen times to make sure I wasn't missing something and then a few minutes after the deadline Gloria and I received an email from Don letting us know that we made the cut. What great news to be included in such an adventure with a bunch of like minded people! We are super excited and looking forward to meeting all the other folks that will be making the "Tour". It's still a long way off on the calendar but that makes for more time to imagine all the high times we will have. Thanks Don and Betsy.
Travelin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:24 PM   #31

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Congratulations. You are in for a trip you'll cherish forever.

Walt
Old 02-13-2019, 08:16 PM   #32

Name: David
California
Quick Question

Hello, we don’t FB and I looked for the You Tube video, negative results
We have a 2005 Casita 17’ and a 2017 Dodge 1500 4X4.
Curious as to your 2019 Utah Tour itinerary? Start, fininish and in between.
Sounds like a lot of fun.
Any info you can provide is appreciated, thx
Baja Sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:59 PM   #33

Response to Baja Sixer

Baja Sixer
Please look in my 2019 Southern Utah Tour announcement and find my email address in the example I gave to those who wanted to compete for a slot on the tour. Please send me an email to that address. OK?
Don
Old 03-18-2019, 12:53 PM   #34

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Hi Don: Count me in for the Utah tour..I am Robert Curran 18 foot Bigfoot, White towed
by a white 1994 Ford Explorer 4X4 scout. All is set up for boondocking. My address and
Email is 855 Franklin St. Santa Monica Ca. and the email is bobsboat37@yahoo.com
phone..310-266-2419
Please contact me soon..Bob
Bob Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:52 PM   #35

2019 Tour

I am posting so anyone reading this thread will know that I already responded to Robert via regular email.
All the participants were selected back in November. I also want to let everyone know that this will most likely be the last Southern Utah Tour hosted by Betsy and me.
Thanks, Don and Betsy
Old 03-18-2019, 03:16 PM   #36

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
I am posting so anyone reading this thread will know that I already responded to Robert via regular email.
All the participants were selected back in November. I also want to let everyone know that this will most likely be the last Southern Utah Tour hosted by Betsy and me.
Thanks, Don and Betsy
Don and Betsy - Just want to once again say thanks for including us in 2017. Both the trip and the folks we shared it with were truly exceptional.

Al & Cindy
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:30 PM   #37

SW Virginia
I'll second that and then some. I feel extra blessed having met everyone from both the '17 and '18 tours.
I had the extra pleasure this year of meeting up again with Giselle and JP from the '17 tour at Quartzite and Joshua Tree. Special people.

Walt
Old 03-19-2019, 05:26 PM   #38

Al & Cindy and Walt

Thank you. One of the reasons we have continued to do the tour each year is because of meeting some great folks along the way from all over. We know several people from all over that we consider as lasting friends and that includes you as well.
Some of these friends host their own gatherings in various places across the U.S. Since some of these rallies take place in early spring (while our Casita still is covered) we might try to visit some of them w/o it and motel it locally. Don't know.

Don and Betsy
Old 03-19-2019, 07:37 PM   #39

SW Virginia
Don & Betsy
I can only hope I'll have the pleasure of meeting up with you two again somewhere out there. I'll always remember you fondly.

Walt
Old 04-22-2019, 12:04 PM   #40

Opening in 2019 Southern Utah Tour

We have an opening slot in the 2019 Tour beginning on May 8. If you are interested in coming along read carefully the announcement, follow the directions and shoot me an email to my email address included in the example of the information I need. That is my address.
In the announcement I have asked for only folks who have never attended one of our tours. HOWEVER, now it doesn't matter if you have been on one or not. If you and you equipment are up to it, email me.
Don