AZ 2020, Feb 3-9: 2020 Quartzsite Gathering - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2019, 04:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
2020, Feb 3-9: 2020 Quartzsite Gathering

2020 Quartzsite Gathering Hosts: Scamp Owners International

This gathering is for all brands of Molded Fiberglass Trailers! Like Salmon returning home all brands of Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers make the annual pilgrimage to the AZ Desert.

Dates: Feb 3-9th, 2020

February 3rd to 6th - Early bird Quartzsite Pre-Gathering (Mon thru Thurs)
February 7th to 9th - Main Event (Friday thru Sunday)

If you can attend the Main Gathering, the Pre-Gathering, or the entire Quartzsite Gathering we’d love to have you come and enjoy the good times. Some even stay for a Post-Gathering for a few days if you’re so inclined.

Mark the dates. More details of the event will be posted late-summer and throughout the fall.

Hope to see you there, and remember: No bill and No Checkout time.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Guess who’s comln’

It’s me Joy A.. Sold my house be full timing. Definitely be there in 2020.

Bye for now
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
The Quartzsite 2020 Gathering is around the corner! (Feb 3rd - 9th 2020) We are looking forward to connecting with new and old friends at this unique event in the AZ desert. As usual, we will need wood for the central campfire, anyone that can bring some wood to contribute it will be greatly appreciated and enjoyed.

We'll also need some volunteers for 2 hour shifts at the registration table during the week, the two judging committees for the Wiener Roast and Dessert competitions, and some volunteers to help with delivering the Quartzite Food Bank Donations. Email info@scampowners.com or we'll also have volunteer sign up sheets at the registration table when you check in.

FYI, this will be my last Rodeo as the Wagonmaster for the Quartzsite Gathering. So if anyone has any interest in taking this awesome gathering forward email me at info@scampowners.com or discuss it with me at the gathering.

Activities: Check the activity whiteboard at the host trailer for updated times and activities. All activities are subject to last minute changes. Make sure to register at the host trailer and pick up your 2020 Quartzsite Commemorative Button/Pin (quantities limited).
  • BYOB Happy Hour Meet & Greet: to kick off the Quartzsite Gathering for early arrivals. Monday night Feb 3rd 4:30pm. We will have an informal BYOB happy hour at the host trailer to get acquainted and start the week. Bring your chairs, favorite beverage and snacks.
  • Happy Hour Concerts with our Quartzsite Musicians: T-TH @ 4:30pm we will be having Happy Hour at the host trailer with music by our good friends and musicians. Any aspiring musicians can join in to play along. Check the activity board for times and bring your chairs, favorite drinks and snacks over.
  • Friday Night Wiener Roast and Campfire: Starting at 4:30 pm join us at the central campfire for a really cool event - the Wiener Roast and campfire. Bring your pack of Hot Dogs, buns, any sides/condiments, drinks and your Wiener Roasting Sticks. We'll provide some tables if you want to share sides/condiments with others, a nice campfire to roast the wieners, and weather permitting a beautiful Quartzsite sunset. We will have a judging committee and will be awarding prizes for the top three most creative Wiener Roasting Sticks. Get in your workshops now and get busy designing and building a winning Roasting stick! There were some pretty incredible contraptions last year.
  • Saturday Morning Dome Rock Swap Meet Quartzsite Gathering 8am-10am See further details below under approved vendors.
  • Dessert in the Desert at the Saturday Night Campfire: Dessert Pot Luck at the central campfire. Starting at 4:30 pm everyone bring a favorite dessert to the tables at the central campfire, along with your chairs, for a taste of dessert while enjoying an awesome Quartzsite sunset. New this year we will have a judging committee and will be awarding prizes for the top three Desserts! Get your recipes in order and get ready for some Dessert competition.
  • Quartzsite February 2020 Events Calendar(link): Throughout the town of Quartzsite, the Shows and Flea Markets run in the winter months during the influx of RV winter visitors and are quite interesting to spend a day or two rummaging around and finding treasures.
  • Quartzsite Give Back: At this years gathering we are going to sponsor a Quartzsite Give Back to help support the Quartzsite Food Bank. If you are able, we ask that folks bring a non-perishable food item and/or clothing items in good condition to the host trailer collection box and all week we will be delivering the donations to the Quartzsite Food Bank.
White Board: Check the white board at registration for all activities and approximate times. Change is a constant and we have had a few changes this year.

Instructional Sessions: (both sessions will be held by the host trailer, bring your chair, beverage, and questions)

Traveling in Baja, Mexico (Led by "Ron in BC") - Saturday Feb 8th @ 9:30am
The important topics for folks traveling to Baja for the first time are:
  1. Insurance requirements, where to buy and approximate costs.
  2. FMM, the tourist visa, where to get it and approximate costs.
  3. Border crossing routine and what to expect.
  4. Past experiences with local police, which is zero, but some discussion on what some folks have encountered.
  5. Military checkpoints and what to expect.
  6. Driving in Baja, road conditions and other drivers.
  7. Gas stations, some good, some not so good.
  8. Necessity for pesos and availability of ATMs and use of credit cards.
  9. Suitable camping areas and personal safety.
  10. Language, is any Spanish required?
  11. Why Baja? What's so great about Baja

These topics and likely others will form the basis of a Baja information discussion. Knowing what to expect, what's required and some do's and don'ts will go a long way towards making a first trip to Baja enjoyable and trouble free.

Digital Photography: (Led by Jon Vermilye) Saturday February 8th @ 10:30am

This workshop is designed for those with adjustable cameras (advanced Point & Shoot or DSLRs) that are interesting in gaining more control over your camera than the program or automatic modes provide.

We will discuss the effect of choosing the Shutter Speed, Aperture, and ISO on the resulting image, and how you can alter these settings to produce images that are not possible on the program/automatic setting.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vendors: No outside vendors will be allowed without prior approval from the hosts. We are on BLM Land and their regulations do not allow vendors to sell goods on BLM Lands, so we have to be very careful on what is allowed.

Currently approved vendors:

Dome Rock Swap Meet
at the Quartzsite Gathering
Saturday, Feb 8, 2019
8am - 10am
Hosted by Arizona Eileen

This is your opportunity to recycle those camping items you no longer use! There have been some terrific items in past years!
The location of the Swap Meet will be somewhere down in front near the Registration. Blue tarps will be laid out on the ground ahead of the event.

SELLERS
Items must be camping-related...basically anything having to do with RVing.
This can also include books, CDs, electronics, etc. -- stuff you'd use when traveling. No clothing items, please.
  • Sellers may arrive at 7:45 am to set out their items; however, no sales before 8 am, please.
  • Purchase a box of small envelopes at the Dollar Store (I'll also have some on hand).
  • On the front of the envelope, write: 1) Your name, 2) the item name, 3) the price, 4) your cell phone number
  • Affix the envelope to the item you wish to sell and leave your item(s) on one of the tables at the Swap Meet.
  • Be willing to accept either cash or check.
  • There will be a table for FREE STUFF. No envelopes necessary.
  • If you have a table or ground cover we can use for a few hours to display items, please bring it along.
  • No need to stick around if you don't want to since someone will be there keeping an eye on things.
  • At 10 am, Sellers should plan to claim their payment(s) and/or remaining item(s).

BUYERS
  • Buyers will remove the envelope from the item they wish to purchase, place their payment inside, and then deposit it into the PAYMENTS box.
  • Acceptable payments are cash or check. (I MAY be able to make change, but no guarantees.)
  • Buyers may write their name and cell number on the envelope before depositing it into the box if they have questions for the Seller.

MISCELLANEOUS
No outside vendors are permitted without pre-approval from Greg A., the rally host.

A-Z Casita Owners Guide available at special prices. Your choice of Printed book, or PDF on USB orCD.
Decals: Jack Frame Under Here, Battery Charge 16 and 25 Fresh Water Tank Gauges

Swap Meet questions or suggestions, please email Eileen at: lovemycasita17@gmail.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the Hosts:

Post any questions you have on this thread or to just say “Hello, we’ll be there”! We look forward to meeting many new friends and visiting with many old friends at one of the best gatherings of Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers (All brands are welcome) in the country.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American
Registry
How much notice do you need? I have been thinking about showing up but tend to move as the wind blows. Are there reservations etc. or is the campgrounds big enough to just drop in? My last drop in was 980 from home. Decided to go camping at 830AM packed by 4PM and arrived late the next day. this trip would be a bit more planned as thinking about it now!
Marty Smiltneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:41 AM   #5

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Smiltneek View Post
How much notice do you need? I have been thinking about showing up but tend to move as the wind blows. Are there reservations etc. or is the campgrounds big enough to just drop in? My last drop in was 980 from home. Decided to go camping at 830AM packed by 4PM and arrived late the next day. this trip would be a bit more planned as thinking about it now!
There are no reservations and there are no camp sites. This is just a large gathering of close to 300 fiberglass trailers in the desert on BLM land at Dome Rock. BLM does want you to register but it is easy and free. An office is a few blocks away and takes a few minutes. Lots of people come and go and come again. There will be campers there a week or two early and some will stay a week or two after. If you are in the area stop by you won't regret it.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:37 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
For those with questions about Dome Rock & the Gatherings, here are some links to my photo pages from the last couple of years:

2019 Quartzsite Rally, Dome Rock, AZ
2018 Quartzsite Rally, Dome Rock, AZ
2017 Quartzsite Rally, Dome Rock, AZ
2016 Quartzsite Rally, Dome Rock, AZ
2014 Quartzsite Rally, Dome Rock, AZ
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:07 PM   #7

Registry
Jon,
How did your battery conversion turn out?
Old 12-16-2019, 08:54 PM   #8

New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Jon,
How did your battery conversion turn out?
So far, great. The lithium batteries charge fast enough that I haven't needed to tilt the solar panels.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:14 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
So far, great. The lithium batteries charge fast enough that I haven't needed to tilt the solar panels.
Are you still glad you went with two lithium's? Do you think one battery would have been enough? I know one lithium is far preferable to one lead acid battery and might fit my needs but I know you boondock far more than the average camper.
Old 12-22-2019, 12:28 AM   #10

Name: Paula
Trailer: Oliver Elite 2015 18.5
California
Registry
25B17.5FB BIGFOOT

Hi everyone
I'm wondering if any of you with a 17' Bigfoot will be at the rally in Quartzsite? I'm researching Bigfoot right now and would love to actually see this size, in person.
Please PM me if you have this size rig and would like to show it to me.
Thanks!
Paula
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 03:54 PM   #11

Name: Robbert
Trailer: Casita
Arizona
BLM Registration for Dome Rock?

Quote:
There are no reservations and there are no camp sites. This is just a large gathering of close to 300 fiberglass trailers in the desert on BLM land at Dome Rock. BLM does want you to register but it is easy and free. An office is a few blocks away and takes a few minutes. Lots of people come and go and come again. There will be campers there a week or two early and some will stay a week or two after. If you are in the area stop by you won't regret it.
Hi - My wife and I are new to camping and excited to make this our first "dry camping" event. Can someone tell me where the BLM office is <<a few blocks away>> to register for the Dome Rock camping? Thanks!
RobbertSterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 05:02 PM   #12

New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbertSterling View Post
Hi - My wife and I are new to camping and excited to make this our first "dry camping" event. Can someone tell me where the BLM office is <<a few blocks away>> to register for the Dome Rock camping? Thanks!
While you can register at a real BLM office such as the one in Yuma, registration is easier at the host trailer here in Quartzsite.

If you head east (towards the town of Quartzsite) from Dome Rock on Dome Rock Road (the road in front of the camping area) about 1 - 1/2 miles from the camping area you will see a trailer on the left with a sign saying it is the host.

If there is an American Flag on the pole at the site, the host open for business. If not, stop in another day. While registering is important since it shows the management that the area is being used, they are not fanatics about instantly registering when you arrive.
Old 12-22-2019, 09:09 PM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: Hymer
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbertSterling View Post
Hi - My wife and I are new to camping and excited to make this our first "dry camping" event.
It's going to be our first real boondocking trip, as well. Can't wait to see all those eggs.
OCJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 10:07 PM   #14

Arizona
Thanks Jon!
Old 12-23-2019, 10:10 PM   #15

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCJohn View Post
It's going to be our first real boondocking trip, as well. Can't wait to see all those eggs.
Looking forward to meeting you. Never seen a Hymer before. Looks nice.
Old 12-24-2019, 08:30 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCJohn View Post
John, what days do you plan on being there?
Old 12-29-2019, 08:47 AM   #17

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp and 1985 13 ft Scamp
non fiberglass

well our scamp is in for big repairs this winter, but we do have a small, 19 footer tow behind, would lthat be allowed to attend?
sugermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 11:08 AM   #18

New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugermc View Post
well our scamp is in for big repairs this winter, but we do have a small, 19 footer tow behind, would lthat be allowed to attend?
We would love to have you attend no matter what RV. There are usually a bunch of Class C, Class B & even a couple of Class A motorhomes, as well as a number of stick built trailers. All are welcome!
Old 01-03-2020, 04:20 PM   #19
Ter

Name: Theresa
Trailer: Shopping
Arizona
I would love to go. But no Scamp yet....looking for 16 #4. Just in case anyone know about one for sale ��
Ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:08 PM   #20

Name: John
Trailer: Hymer
California
Registry
Quote:
John, what days do you plan on being there?
No concrete plans yet, but I'm thinking Tuesday or Wednesday until we've had enough.

Mrs. OC wants to go exploring. (She's also more "pro-solitude" than I am...) So we may bug out early and screw around in AZ or UT. But if there's going to be a critical mass of Hymers and forum regulars, we might shift the schedule accordingly. Having never been, I'm not sure how much of a zoo it'll be over the weekend.

What are you thinking?
OCJohn is offline   Reply With Quote