Do GatheringsEver Have Swap Meets / Yard Sales?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2016, 12:47 PM   #1

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Do GatheringsEver Have Swap Meets / Yard Sales??

Do any of you take things to the rallies or meets to give or sell to those who might want them, things like the new faucet we bought and then decided not to use in the amerigo, things like the brochures and ALL the color chips from Durabak that they sent us after three requests...we have two sinks, a stainless and a fiberglass that we won't be using, some sets of handles, and several other things.

Does anyone just set up a table outside their rig and put up a sign: FREE to all?

Does anyone ever organize a kind of "rig sale" garage sale at the gatherings?

We'd love to hand them over to others but don't want to haul them if it just "isn't done."
Old 06-20-2016, 01:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Kathleen, for the NOGs it depends. The Oregon State park system forbids the exchange of money (except by permit). We can't even place a For Sale sign on a trailer. Everything needs to be really covert, like conversations about money inside a trailer with the door shut! We have had "Free" tables at several meets though. In fact, we've even given away the table too!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:46 PM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
At the annual Quartzsite rally, that is exactly what happened when I was there two years ago. I have stashed a bunch of camping and trailer stuff that I will never use, just for this occasion. Hopefully I'll be there in 2017.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:21 PM   #4

Registry
Thanks, Donna and Jack. We'll bring a small bin of a few things someone might need, then. I'll bring a small "FREE" sign. Though we'll want to keep the table--unless we could swap it for a 3-foot one. This 2-foot table is a wee bit tiny.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:13 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
The recent Customer Appreciation Rally for Escape trailers had a give away event that was very much appreciated by quite a number of campers. In addition when owners mentioned they had something to give away or sell the deal was made on the Escape forum and the delivery made at the rally. Most folks who have camped for a number of years have any number of goodies that they seem happy to give away especially to young folks just starting out. You just have to ask and expect to pay a fair market price on hard to get items and maybe you'll luck out and get what you need either free or reasonable.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:10 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool What we did last year.

I've seen tables at private RV parks. I have not seen any in state parks.

We did have a give-away at the Taidnapam event last year. I don't know what they did this year as I couldn't attend.

What we did last year was just ask for any donations of stuff (junk, junque?) the attendees had around the house and we placed them in a big bag. Then we had a small bag with all the names in it, had a child start it off by picking the first winner, and then that winner would pick his prize out of the big bag and then pick the next winner out of the small bag. If course both picks were blind with the pickers not looking in the bag.

A good way to get rid of stuff you hate to throw away but have no use for.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:45 PM   #7

Name: XXX
Trailer: whatever
NA
Hi Kai,
To answer your question, absolutely, yes. As others have posted, it all depends on the flavor of the rally and if it's located on private/government soil.
I was at Bluebonnet in TX earlier this year, and an official "swap meet" was part of their conference center's weekend schedule of events (Privately-owned venue). I even sold my old sink faucet.

Government-managed parks aren't open to commerce, so if a rally were to conduct such a trade, it would have to be redistributed in creative wording "under the table" such like a tax line item can be misinterpreted. :-).

There are creative ways around this if the coordinator and attendees wish to "share". Your best approach is to directly contact a rally coordinator about their support on this topic, or better yet, find a private venue acceptable to this idea and start an annual fiberglass trailer swap meet yourself. It could be HUGE!
Hidalga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 12:05 PM   #8

Registry
Hi, all,

Thanks. Paul and I HAD thought about starting a trailer swap meet ourselves. We have such a pile of things already I hate to fill that much space in the TV car or trailer with it. We still can't find the bathroom mirror, though, which I had hoped to put up. Of course we stowed it very carefully--nearly nine months ago!

July 6th is the 9 month anniversary of Peanut...we were thinking of having a birthday party for her...her actual "birth" day, as she is almost ready to roll. Curtains go up today if Paul can ever stop vacuuming the TV car.

We'll give it some more thought! Thanks, all.

Kai
Old 06-13-2017, 11:53 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Angry Selling in state parks

352-32-195
WAC 352-32-195 Solicitation. Except as may be otherwise
allowed in connection with a permit issued under WAC
352-32-165 or 352-32-047, or a cooperative agreement pursuant
to RCW 79A.05.070(2), no person shall engage in commercial
solicitation, or sell or peddle any services, goods,
wares, merchandise, liquids, or edibles for human consumption
in any state park area, except by concession or permit
granted by the commission.
Any violation of this section is an infraction under chapter
7.84 RCW.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:01 AM   #10

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
At one rally I attended it was suggested that we lay out whatever we might want to exchange/sell/giveaway on the bed in the trailer with the displayer telling the visitor "If you see anything you're interested in, call me in." One way to move the transaction out of view.

I'm not saying that approach is legally defensible, only mentioning a way to not flaunt the activity. Some campgrounds/parks don't allow open containers of beer. I was told that if you had the beverage in a sleeve and weren't being a butt orifice you probably wouldn't be hassled. Again, if you didn't flaunt it.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:40 PM   #11

Registry
The Lynden Mt. Baker Vintage Trailer Rally in Lynden, WA, allows you to set up a table outside your rig, put your stuff out, price things, and sell. No prob.

In Sept. 2016, we took a pile of leftovers from redoing Peanut to that rally and set it out with a big FREE sign. By Saturday afternoon, our table was empty, including both trailer sinks (one metal, one glass). Felt super. Cleared out and paid it forward.

THANKS for the responses!

(June 2016==Paul DID stop vacuuming after about forty hours hours and we went camping July 2-5--avoided the neighborhood fireworks, rearranged Peanut inside until neither of us knew where anything was, and had a good first trip.

Since then, we've been to several gatherings, met many of you, and I learned how to stack the bedding and pillows so I can sleep at night--it's been super! Other than Lynden, we haven't encountered any swap meets or sales...but we offloaded all our extras at Lynden, including a big vent cover and two sinks...so for us, anyway, there's no pressing need to sell trailer items now.

Hope to see some of you at Lynden Vintage Trailer Rally this year--!!

8)

8)

8)

BESt
Kai
Old 06-14-2017, 01:55 PM   #12

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I've been to a few with swaps. Bought a couple of Casita cushions years ago and a camp stove at a corgi campout swap meet. But a lot of people took stuff back home so not always eager to take anything unless I know someone wants it. (Took a box of paperbacks to someone at the Central Cal rally a few years ago, for example, and gave away my old canopy there, too- it was threadbare so no good for NW rain and I was moving, but still kept the sun out.) I like the idea of "advertising" here first and then bringing it if someone wants it better than just dragging along a lot of stuff.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:22 PM   #13

Registry
Hi, Bobbie,

I agree, if selling, advertise on FGRV and only take if it's a sale...luckily, we gave away all the free stuff at Lynden and since then haven't accumulated much extra.

Next time there's a chance, I'd love to see inside your Casita, if the Corgis don't mind!

K
Old 06-14-2017, 03:53 PM   #14

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
It's an Escape, but certainly!
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote