WA New Thread for "Rally Coordination"? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: What is your coordination involvement with rallies?
I used to coordinate rallies. I'm no longer interested in the role. 3 11.54%
I currently coordinate rallies, but plan to step out of the role within a few years. 0 0%
I currently coordinate rallies, and hope to keep it up as long as I have interest in fiberglass trailers! 7 26.92%
I've never coordinated a rally, but would like to. 1 3.85%
I don't want to coordinate, but enjoy attending rallies and getting involved. 8 30.77%
I'm just curious about the topic. 7 26.92%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2016, 10:13 AM   #1

Name: XXX
Trailer: whatever
NA
New Thread for "Rally Coordination"?

I'd like to know if there's enough interest for a new forum regarding "Rally Coordination". The purpose would be to share how-to tips and ideas from past and current rally coordinators, and it could act as an invaluable resource for future coordinators.

When talking with some "retired" coordinators, I hear the same repeated complaint; they're tired of dealing with the people and no longer enjoy their time at the rally! A supportive forum would share everything from marketing to post-rally evaluation. This could bring better quality to rallies, more enjoyment for the coordinator, and for the non-coordinators reading the thread, it would enlighten them to all the considerations and effort it takes to produce a rally.

I appreciate your feedback on this thread topic.
Hidalga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
I think this topic thread would be GREAT. Nice to go to other Rallies and see how they are run different from the way I do it. And with a Forum on the subject, would be a great place to share ideas.

Should also get the Site to label those who do run Rallies to have some sort of label after their name on here as "Rally Coordinator" instead of Senior Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidalga View Post
I'd like to know if there's enough interest for a new forum regarding "Rally Coordination". The purpose would be to share how-to tips and ideas from past and current rally coordinators, and it could act as an invaluable resource for future coordinators.

When talking with some "retired" coordinators, I hear the same repeated complaint; they're tired of dealing with the people and no longer enjoy their time at the rally! A supportive forum would share everything from marketing to post-rally evaluation. This could bring better quality to rallies, more enjoyment for the coordinator, and for the non-coordinators reading the thread, it would enlighten them to all the considerations and effort it takes to produce a rally.

I appreciate your feedback on this thread topic.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:39 AM   #3

Name: Paula
Trailer: Oliver Elite 2015 18.5
California
Registry
Rally topics

Hildalga and Rick
what great ideas. I think we could all learn from each other and this is a win-win for all of us!
Let's get it going!
Thanks
Paula
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:44 AM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I'd love tips and tricks, contest ideas, games, etc..
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:23 PM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Looking forward to suggestions. This coming summer will be our first one.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile We emulate Donna D

Our first inauguration to FGRV rallies was to Donna D's NOGs in Oregon. (North Oregon/Non-Organized Gatherings)
We used to belong to Good Sam. GS requires meetings, minutes, and other things not related to camping. So we left.
Now, as a continuation of another FGRV member's gatherings, (I think Casita Greg) we merely make reservations at a State Park, so far at Taidnapam on US 12 just east of Morton, WA for the first weekend in June and post that information with an invitation for everyone.
That used to coincide with free fishing weekend, but we never had a problem with crowding from fishermen. It turns out this year that the FFW is the second weekend and so we will miss that.
Luckily, Escape moved their weekend to the last in May, so that conflict has ceased.
We encourage people to bring little things from around the house and we hold a drawing during the Saturday night gathering. We ask people to just let us know they are coming and we make name slips which are selected to designate the next person who can draw from the bag. This is done on the theory that one man's junk is another man's treasure. We don't encourage people spend any money, but there have been some remarkable gifts. We have had home-made birdhouses, and Donna once had a person make a wooden, hand-made flute. But those are the exception.
I tried to bring some activities from Good Sam into the WAGs (Washington Area Gathering) like remote control car races, but so far, no luck. I also would like to have monthly gatherings, but again, no luck.
I would like to go to private RV Parks because they have clubhouses where one can have card games, jigsaw puzzles, and other things out of the weather.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:07 PM   #7

Name: XXX
Trailer: whatever
NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Looking forward to suggestions. This coming summer will be our first one.

CindyL
I'm planning a 2016 Grand Rally Road Trip and want to attend Eggs A La Bourbon, but it'll be one I'll have to book last minute depending on schedule. Whether I can make it or not, it's a great concept and has total "fun" potential...
Hidalga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I've organized a few small ones. It can be as simple as picking a location with a single site and a few open sites around it. You post the info, pick an evening for a pot luck or time for show & tell and that is all you need to do.

I see the need for some more organization with larger groups, namely blocking off a group of sites with the campground and trying to work with them for setting up reservations. The first year or two can be a challenge until everyone gets the with the flow.

Each rally has its own flavour; some have everything organized with seminars or what ever, others do a minimal schedule leaving the meet to develop it's own style over the years.

When they start to get too big, I think Fred has the right idea with bolerama. He does a group BBQ of burgers, dogs and salads. They pick up the food and a number of people step up to the que to cook. It sure beats the day's gone by when the pot luck dinners required an entire picnic shelter to house all the different foods and spiked elbows to get a meal.

To me, it is the people not the schedule that makes a meet work. So far, all the people have been great. (Well a bunch of us did crash a Scampers meet one year and we did feel a little out of place because we did disrupt their routine).

My only suggestion would be to check the rally calendar, see if you can't pick a date that does not conflict with something else nearby. Better yet, pick a time before or after a meet for those that might want to travel between meets. (e.g. Algonac and the Niagara Wine Escape)
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:57 AM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
We have organized EggFestOntario now for 6 years and it is constantly changing as we find things to make the work easier. We did away with Pot Lucks as well and went with Bring Your Own Suppers. Because the campground we utilize is smaller we are limited to 50 Eggs but that's fine because I don't want to work too hard.
We have slowly streamlined the organization down to a Social Meet & Greet with as little organizing as we can get away with. Because I have some health issues, next year will be simplified even more and hopefully it will work just fine.
A thread for Rally Co-ordinators would be a great thing I think, to give people a place to find out what other's have done or are doing. But always exect the unexpected. Most EggFesters remember the invasion of Bagpipes we had our very first year !

Tags
rally