TN Questions about Rallies in General - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2018, 07:43 PM   #1

Name: Lorrie
Trailer: Scamp
TN
Questions about Rallies in General

We are proud new owners of a 2010 Scamp 5th wheel and look forward to meeting folks at a rally soon. There are several that could work with our schedules, but I have a few questions:
1. Some are for several days. Is it ok to come for one day if you can’t attend every day?

2. If a rally say starts on a Wednesday, are folks checking in to their site on Wed or did they check in the night before?

3. What type of activities are there at most rallies? The ones we are considering all say no registration fees so I’m assuming less activities than others?

4. Do we decorate our camper or can we opt out of that? We are not big glamping campers.

Any other tips? Thanks!
Lorrie
Old 07-17-2018, 07:56 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Some rallies have basically no activities other than a single pot luck, others have a lot of activities. And in my experience participation is optional (but you will enjoy it more).

We have sometimes arrived early, before the rally. Used that time to do a little exploring of the area on our own. Now that we are retired we are trying to extend our stays. In the old J O B days we arrived late and left early. I like leaving on Monday depending on how I go for the camp out.

I like rallies that have a scheduled trailer tour time. Everyone wants to look anyway! Some do it others don’t.

Some campgrounds are really a PITA if you want to come just during the day. They typically have rules and limits on non-camping visitors.

We went to the Kansas egg event last year, lots of activities and no fee as I recall. I noticed a vintage trailer club I was checking out had no membership fees but the rallies did have an event fee.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Probably lots of variances, but here is what we have experienced:

1. You can stay as long as your able. There may be exceptions where the venue has a minimum of nights for Tuesday or where the organizers have cut a special deal.

2. Usually the first day is Also the first night although some people might come early.

3. The rallies we have attended have had some games, furry friends tricks, potlucks, and sometimes a gift exchange. There may optional local tours and usually a time for an open house. If there is a fee, it is likely to cover renting a club house or the cost of a dinner or breakfast.

4. We don't usually decorate, but some go overboard. That said I just bought a couple of strings of lights.

We have been to a few rallies including fiberglass, vendor, and vintage. They can be fun and educational.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:40 AM   #4

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Lorrie, we went to our 1st rally BEFORE we had our egg. Stayed in a cabin. A great way to meet fellow campers and learn what they do. Our experience at several rallys is that they are very loose. No rules as far as how long you stay or what you do. I find it fun to attend the pot luck, usually the 2nd day, and to be there and leave the day the rally ends. Great to say GOOD BY to all the campers you met.
We will repeat some and not others for various reasons, non being a lack of graciousness on the host's part. All Campers are friendly and very welcoming, in our experience.

Have fun!!!!

Mark
Old 07-18-2018, 08:30 PM   #5

Name: Violet
Trailer: Snoozy
Louisiana
Lorri - I am assuming you are from TN. I am helping to coordinate the Lil Snoozy Rally at Lake Gunthersville State Park in Sept. We would love to have you join us. We are trying to have a balance between leisure time to get to know one another, tours of other campers, and a few workshops on the "proper care and feeding of your camper". I went last year after placing our order for our camper and learned so much. Let me know if you have any questions I can help you with .

Violet
vmj5674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:52 PM   #6

Name: Lorrie
Trailer: Scamp
TN
Thanks, all! Good info. Glad to know most are very relaxed affairs. Sounds like we will learn which ones are the best for us through trial and error. And Violet, thanks for the kind invite to the Sept event in AL! We’ll definitely look at our calendar to see if this fits!
Old 07-19-2018, 08:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Hi Lorrie,

Usually people bring their own plates, silverware, drinks and sometimes chairs to the pot luck (as well as whatever you bring to share).

I always keep an inexpensive, or homemade gift in the trailer in case they have exchanges, ours sometimes have white elephant draw, others might draw names for gifts.

At almost all gatherings we have been to there are options. Do or don’t open trailer for tours, do or don’t join in activities. Sometimes if a building is used there could be a donation to help cover the expense of the building.

I have found that I like to arrive early. It always seems sort of sad to leave after everyone else. We see a lot of repeat attendees and it is sad to say goodbye.

Have a great time. We have been to many locations we never would have gone to if there hadn’t been a gathering.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:23 PM   #8

Name: XXX
Trailer: whatever
NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorrie View Post
We are proud new owners of a 2010 Scamp 5th wheel and look forward to meeting folks at a rally soon. There are several that could work with our schedules, but I have a few questions...Any other tips? Thanks!
Lorrie
Hi Lorrie,
Congrats on your Scamp purchase. I hope you're getting to enjoy it more than you anticipated.

Rallies are simply gatherings; not structured clubs. You have much flexibility to when you'd like to participate. Travel Trailers=Freedom. It's ultimately your schedule.

Activities vary on the rally coordinator who sets up the event. It can be very casual with no events or a well-planned schedule with fees involved to cover event costs and fees. It's event planning in an alternative form.

Most rallies have some involvement such as a pot-luck and another social event or two. We go to these events to be social, right? You choose your level of interaction. Glamping and showing your trailer can easily be left off the schedule.

Please recognize that even at the most basic level of rally coordination there's a cost. Printed schedules, morning coffee or dry-erase boards aren't free.

Keep in mind to what was invested to make the event happen. Small registration fees help cover the cost and reimburse the wallet of the party planner.

Enjoy your Scamp, get out and camp, and occasionally get-together with like-minded folks who love their trailers too!
Hidalga is offline   Reply With Quote