WA Seeking Ideas for a Seattle Meet - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2016, 04:19 PM   #41

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Response to your question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Casita Greg--

You're the first one to address that question, thank you!
Do you include sewer hook up as well in the needed column?

What about for a one-day event? Thank you Kai. I'm not sure that I would personally want to spend the time, effort and fuel to go to a "one day event" even if it was relatively local. It's a lot of work for a tired old guy to hook up all this stuff just for a day trip. It would have to be, (for me anyway,) at least a 3-4 day trip, and preferably with the option of being able to extend my stay, which wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Would you still need full hook-up or could you do without some, and if so, what? For lesser length stays, I could live on my tank capability to handle my waste water requirements, as long as they at least have a waste tank dump facility available on the way out. Power and water would be "gotta have" items.

Lack of any hook-ups would probably curtail the day-cation option, as there wouldn't be any hook-ups in a parking lot.

Good to hear from you and from everyone.

Maybe we need TWO events, or even THREE:

A PUGET SOUND REGIONAL meet that might include Grayland Beach etc

AND a Seattle meet that could include a possible no-hook-ups daycation?

AND an Islands meet-up a bit further north...

Ideas on that? THIS thread is basically, originally, about the Seattle meet possibilities. We don't want to exclude ANYone, but I'm starting to think we can't cover everything everyone might like, so maybe we need one or more other meet-ups as well. Having run a few get-together events (1st, 2nd, and 3rd WA NOG's) in the past, I fully understand that there is no way you can meet and accommodate everyone's expectations or wishes. There will always be people who "I can't make it on that weekend," or "I don't want to travel so far," or "I've been there before," etc. etc. The thing that you need to do is understand that if you are coordinating this, then it is you who rules the roost on where it will be. While a consensus is fine, suggestions are fine, and asking for input/feedback is great, ultimately, if you're gonna take this on, you need to "call the ball." It's your show. If others aren't able to, or interested in, the event they don't have to attend. Just my 2 cents. I do applaud your effort to make something happen. It can be, (and I know,) a daunting herculean effort to "host" a "Not Organized" event. Just because it may be called Not Organized, there is still a tremendous amount of "organization", planning and logistics involved in pulling it off.

Kai in Seattle
Hope this gives you some direction and support.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:29 PM   #42

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
What Dave said. I consider two hours close.

Though I also like the idea of a Fort Casey unorganized meet and may let people know when I am ready to do my "shakedown" trip there in hopes that some join me.
You will like Fort Casey. We held a mini private fibreglass rally there two springs ago with about 10 trailers - including a few from the Seattle area. They upgraded the bathrooms and showers last year. There is something for everyone. Explore the Fort and the lighthouse. Ride your bike onto the ferry and head over to Port Townsend or drive to the old town of Coupeville for a meal or shopping.

Sites 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 are the best - right on the beach spaced well out from each other. At sites 12 and 16 you could have a campfire to all hours and not be bothering anyone. No power on those sites though.

Now for the downside of Fort Casey. Two years ago they started to allow you to make reservations during the summer months - it was first come, first serve all year long prior. As a result it has become increasingly popular and harder to get into due to its small size.

People will need to make their reservations for the meet on the first day that the reservations system allows them to for the date, if you holding it within the time frame that they take reservations.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:57 PM   #43

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I've camped there before. And yes, the reservation part is not very good for a rally, so by nature it would likely end up local. Reservations end September 15 and they are hard to get on weekends, anyway. It is also very exposed to weather so you'd want to be able to cancel if a big storm is coming (as it is supposedly doing tonight.) Not somewhere I want to be in a trailer during a windstorm! (Though some of the sites along the hill might be good for that.) It isn't ideal for a big meetup.

On the other hand- now I have propane heat and 12V I don't need hookups! I stayed in September at one of the great beach front sites and really enjoyed watching the ferries and cruise ships come and go, and didn't care about heat or light, but in October both may come in handy.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:58 AM   #44

Trailer: Boler 1977
Registry
Hello, I'm interested in meeting other fiberglass owners from the Seattle area and will gladly attend a meet up with or without hookups. I live in Snohomish.

Kayak Pt county park is on a lake and is a nice setting near Marysville. Same with Flowing Lake, plenty of hook ups, in a forest on a fishing lake. Easy to get to off Hwy 2 from Monroe. Raser is in Skagit county, but it's an awesome place. Even with reservations, it fills up due to the location. Group sites do not have hookups, but folks could reserve inside the park if they wanted to be near bathrooms, etc.

While driving my trailer through Seattle isn't my favorite thing to do, the idea of a trailer meetup at Discovery Park sounds fun. Do a little tailgate cook out? I'd also be game for Dash Point or Golden Gardens day trip.

I think the thing to do is decide what works for the organizer, and set a date. Looking forward to it!
jlbails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:38 PM   #45

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbails View Post
Hello, I'm interested in meeting other fiberglass owners from the Seattle area and will gladly attend a meet up with or without hookups. I live in Snohomish.

Kayak Pt county park is on a lake and is a nice setting near Marysville. Same with Flowing Lake, plenty of hook ups, in a forest on a fishing lake. Easy to get to off Hwy 2 from Monroe. Raser is in Skagit county, but it's an awesome place. Even with reservations, it fills up due to the location. Group sites do not have hookups, but folks could reserve inside the park if they wanted to be near bathrooms, etc.

While driving my trailer through Seattle isn't my favorite thing to do, the idea of a trailer meetup at Discovery Park sounds fun. Do a little tailgate cook out? I'd also be game for Dash Point or Golden Gardens day trip.

I think the thing to do is decide what works for the organizer, and set a date. Looking forward to it!
I am all for Golden Gardens but it would be next to impossible to get enough parking there on a sunny weekend. Of course it would work for me anyway as I would just walk there since I am only a few blocks away on the same street. Which of course is why I know for sure that you won't find parking there on a nice weekend. There are actually a few places on that street right by the boat yard where you can park overnight

I have caught onto the fact that people who are proposing these long drives from Seattle for the meetup are mostly people who don't actually live in Seattle but live close to the places they are proposing. I will make the direction signs for the campground meetup area and put a space needle logo on them if you pay my way to attend a non-local local event.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:12 PM   #46

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
"I have caught onto the fact that people who are proposing these long drives from Seattle for the meetup are mostly people who don't actually live in Seattle but live close to the places they are proposing."

Maybe it's just me, but why would anyone who lives in Seattle not want to get the heck out of Seattle. Where are you gonna camp in Seattle, next to the homeless tents under the overpasses? I'll take a 2 hour trip out to the ocean any day before I would want to camp in an urban jungle.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:16 AM   #47

Name: Marcia
Trailer: '00 Burro 17' WB
Seattle, WA
We are urban Seattle dwellers. Our favorite quick escape is Tolt-MacDonald in Carnation. River, trails, quiet, clean.
We would be interested in a gathering but of course all of that depends on our schedule. I encourage the organizer to heed the advice that you'll never please everyone, so just pick something that you like and see who shows up. If those who complain loudest refuse to come that can actually be a good thing!
mglyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 01:32 PM   #48

Registry
Something tells me the OP is wondering why they did not simple just pick a spot they like and post the date and place and see who shows up.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:31 PM   #49

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Something tells me the OP is wondering why they did not simple just pick a spot they like and post the date and place and see who shows up.
You will have to ask her that when she can get back online. At the moment she is having problems with her computer and can't participate.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:42 PM   #50

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Y At the moment she is having problems with her computer and can't participate.
Actually I believe thats whats called out camping
Old 10-10-2016, 06:37 AM   #51

Oregon
This week Tuesday and Weds look to be sunny or at least partly sunny days. A nice break from the rain! So my partner and myself are going to drive over to Saltwater State Park and do an in person tour of the place and take some photos of it to post here. It is always good to know what camping is available in the geographic area, we will take the dog and a picnic
Old 10-10-2016, 04:50 PM   #52

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Computer is back from the hospital.

Everyone is coming up with good ideas.

It's going to be Dash Point State Park, September 21, 22, and 23rd, 2017.
Some sites have full services, Water, electric, & sewer. Dump station at park. Flush toilets, showers.
Beach access. About 25 miles south of Seattle.

9 month reservation window. We'll do a new thread when we're closer to the reservation point, around January 11, 2017.

Thanks, all,

Kai
Old 10-10-2016, 05:30 PM   #53

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Computer is back from the hospital.

Everyone is coming up with good ideas.

It's going to be Dash Point State Park, September 21, 22, and 23rd, 2017.
Some sites have full services, Water, electric, & sewer. Dump station at park. Flush toilets, showers.
Beach access. About 25 miles south of Seattle.

9 month reservation window. We'll do a new thread when we're closer to the reservation point, around January 11, 2017.

Thanks, all,

Kai
Good deal. Place and weekend will work for us. Let us know when you have an area in mind so we can make the reservations in December.

1970 Trails West Campster
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:12 PM   #54

Registry
Dave Fish--oh, good!
It's not a very big park. I'll be seeking a site in the full-services area, the other loop is quite separate and has NO services. But will post on a new thread, probably:

WAUW (wow!) -- Washington Autumn Urban Wilderness meet-up before January 1st.

Glad you can attend, looking forward to seeing you!

Kzi
Old 10-11-2016, 03:05 PM   #55

Registry
Quote:
Dave Fish--oh, good!
It's not a very big park. I'll be seeking a site in the full-services area, the other loop is quite separate and has NO services. But will post on a new thread, probably:

WAUW (wow!) -- Washington Autumn Urban Wilderness meet-up before January 1st.

Glad you can attend, looking forward to seeing you!

Kzi
I don't think the no service loop will be open as since it opens May 15 I figure it closes September 15. But at any rate a lot of the sites there say not suitable for smaller trailers.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:50 PM   #56

Registry
I don't think the no service loop will be open as since it opens May 15 I figure it closes September 15. But at any rate a lot of the sites there say not suitable for smaller trailers.

WAUW: Washington Autumn Urban Wilderness meet-up. (wow!)

Hi, Bobbie Mayer and All:

I've talked to the Dash Park office twice now, as your questions raised some concerns.

ALL the sites in Loop A are suitable for small trailers/RVs with several sites able to accommodate up to 32.' There are 19 full-service sites (WES!) in Loop A and 24 no-service sites. ALL will accommodate small trailers, yes. The pull-through sites will take rigs up to 32'.

Loop A is open year-round. Opening day for reservations is 9 months in advance. So for us, January 23rd, 2017.

Loop B closes September 15. It's widely separated from Loop A.

The picnic shelter will accommodate up to 96 people. For 24 people it'll be $71 for a day, or about $3 apiece. Not bad!

It's a nice-looking, wooded park, you don't see any houses or buildings other than park buildings from the campsite, nor is there any "freeway" noise. It's a little piece of Urban Wilderness.

The beach is large, flat, and sandy with a shallow stream through it. There are a large number of wildlife creatures that frequent the area, including chipmunks, coyotes, foxes, rabbits, raccoons, squirrels, fish and crabs, sea birds, starfish, herons, hummingbirds, jays, owls, quail, woodpeckers...and so on.

We were just there last Thursday, and Loop A was mostly filled with RVs and trailers. Loop A is open year-round.
There are NO great-big campgrounds within 25 or 50 miles of Seattle. We went to Kayak Point AND Flowing Lake--beautiful, but not what we wanted.

. All sites have fire rings. There are a few cabins available, not yurts. They looked nice, too.

People from Seattle not wanting to camp overnight would be welcome to come to the "big day" on Saturday at the picnic shelter for a Daycation.

BEST
Kai
Old 10-11-2016, 05:06 PM   #57

Trailer: 1974 Compact II
Send a message via AIM to Chuck H
Kyak Pt. is a saltwater park not on a lake. It has electric only hookups with water spigots dispersed throughout the campground and no dumps or dump station, you must use the dump station along freeway near Marysville. It is an older park with a single restroom in campground with showers. They have a "Yurt village" with 10 yurts. Wenberg Park on Lake Goodwin is not far from Kyak and has a very "tight campground" not very private but with a newer restroom and some full hookups.
Chuck H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:26 PM   #58

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck H View Post
Kyak Pt. is a saltwater park not on a lake. It has electric only hookups with water spigots dispersed throughout the campground and no dumps or dump station, you must use the dump station along freeway near Marysville. It is an older park with a single restroom in campground with showers. They have a "Yurt village" with 10 yurts. Wenberg Park on Lake Goodwin is not far from Kyak and has a very "tight campground" not very private but with a newer restroom and some full hookups.

Hi, Chuck, we agree. We didn't go to Wenberg, partly because it is at least as far as Kayak Point or Flowing Lake, and it took us over an hour to drive to them. We wanted this to be more centralized near Seattle.

Some good observations and comments!

One of the things that concerned us about both Flowing Lake and Kayak Point are the multi-level campsites. At Flowing Lake some are stepped and fenced, one fenced so you don't fall off the ledge at the edge of your campsite, about 10 feet across, if that. Others are just irregularly sloped, as is the approach to the restroom at Kayak Point. One of the showers in Kayak Point Women's room is what we called a "peek show" as there is a lack of normal privacy. And you have to walk through one shower area to get to the second.
"Tight" was our thought on the camping areas at Kayak Point and Flowing Lake as well, beautiful as those parks are.

Thanks for your input!

No park is perfect for everyone. We've chose Dash Point for September 21, 22, and 23rd, and if you wanted to come for only 1 day, Saturday the 23rd would work fine as a Daycation within 25 miles of Seattle, no rig required.

BEST
Kai
Old 10-11-2016, 05:29 PM   #59

Registry
Good news. Weird that the reservation system won't book one for a small trailer, though. It says the site is unsuitable for your equipment. I guess for those we'd have to call in unless they change it by December.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:35 PM   #60

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Good news. Weird that the reservation system won't book one for a small trailer, though. It says the site is unsuitable for your equipment. I guess for those we'd have to call in unless they change it by December.

Hi, Bobbie,

The site cannot be booked until 9 months or less before the date you want it. If you're trying to book for the rest of this year, bookings close September 15 for the rest of the year until January 1.

I believe you can call the camp office (be prepared for a few trials) and talk to them in person. They've been helpful, if sometimes they have to look things up.

360-902-8844 --
253-661-4955
888-226-7688

I doubt it's your equipment. More likely it's the site's not telling you it won't book anyone until January 1st, and then only 9 months in advance.

Let us know how this goes for you!

BEST
Kai