WA Seeking Ideas for a Seattle Meet - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2016, 05:41 PM   #61

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
No, I was trying for a May date which can be booked now (not going to book, just to see what sites were available) and it said "The site is available but is not suitable for your equipment". (Trailer under 18 feet.)
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:46 PM   #62

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
No, I was trying for a May date which can be booked now (not going to book, just to see what sites were available) and it said "The site is available but is not suitable for your equipment". (Trailer under 18 feet.)

Hi, Bobbie,

Right, this site has the darndest thing: the reservations system for the year shuts off on September 15. After that date, you cannot make further reservations until January 1st. Weirdest thing ever. Why do they do it that way?

Try calling, is my suggestion. The 888 number is free.

888-226-7688 I just talked to "her" there an hour ago; she was very nice.
M -F 8 AM - 5 PM

Thanks for the updates...it's good to know how this actually works in the real world. Your 18' trailer should be fine for almost any of the sites in Loop A.

BEST
Kai
Old 10-11-2016, 05:50 PM   #63

Registry
I was trying for a May date which can be booked now (not going to book, just to see what sites were available) and it said "The site is available but is not suitable for your equipment". (Trailer under 18 feet.)

I re-read this again, and don't know what the problem is, should have been able to get "some" information! Try calling, that's my suggestion.

Obviously the park "CAN" be reserved, we saw a parkfull of RVs and trailers last Thursday, everyone looked pleased, they waved and smiled so it must work out sometimes!
BEST
Kai
Old 10-11-2016, 05:52 PM   #64

Registry
I'm sure they'll do it by phone- just odd that the system is wrong. I haven't run into that before with the State Parks.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:18 PM   #65

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
I was trying for a May date which can be booked now (not going to book, just to see what sites were available) and it said "The site is available but is not suitable for your equipment". (Trailer under 18 feet.)

I re-read this again, and don't know what the problem is, should have been able to get "some" information! Try calling, that's my suggestion.

Obviously the park "CAN" be reserved, we saw a parkfull of RVs and trailers last Thursday, everyone looked pleased, they waved and smiled so it must work out sometimes!
BEST
Kai
What that response is about.
Not all sites have room to park a tow vehicle side by side with a trailer so even if the trailer is not a long one you still could not use it without being unhitched as the site is too short to be in with the tow vehicle and trailer hooked together.

If it was a double wide driveway spot, even though not a long spot, then they would have said OK for your length of trailer.

Or maybe it was just too short and only good for car camping with a tent.

My experience with the State of Oregon Parks was they had better information about these things, they tell you what is what about the individual sites.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:19 PM   #66

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I got a similar message when I tried to book Kayak Point for the same weekend just out of curiosity. That was before the location was announced and I was trying to help with research.

Thanks to Kai for visiting these parks. I was thinking about doing the same the next time I was allowed to leave the Island.

1970 Trails West Campster
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:21 PM   #67

Name: XXX
Trailer: whatever
NA
Quote:
Hi, Bobbie,

Right, this site has the darndest thing: the reservations system for the year shuts off on September 15. After that date, you cannot make further reservations until January 1st. Weirdest thing ever. Why do they do it that way?
Hi Kai,
I experienced a similar problem with many government-operated campgrounds in the SE region of the US lately, and what they're doing is closing the reservation system in their off-peak time of the year for a first-come, first-serve basis.
It just means that they're not getting enough bookings to utilize human resources for reservations. There's plenty of sites available, you just can't choose which one ahead of schedule.
Hidalga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:00 PM   #68

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:

It would also be due to trees the site is difficult to get into or there is a turn around issue for trailer and vehicle. I know a couple of sites at Kayak point are restricted due to an issue getting into them with a trailer and they are not going to take down trees within the park to fix the issue. One park I stayed at in Idaho the issue was a bit of a round about of trees you needed to get through to get to the site. You could fit a fairly large trailer into the actual site but getting it to the site was not possible if your combo length was over X so many feet.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:11 PM   #69

Registry
It had every single tent site in loop A marked as not suitable for trailers. It wasn't a specific site that wasn't good.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:52 PM   #70

Registry
We went back to Dash Point to look over what the situation was. The loop with the trailer sites is Loop B. I apologize for the mix-up. It was my mistake to say it was Loop A. The trailer area is in Loop B.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:00 PM   #71

Registry
Quote:
We went back to Dash Point to look over what the situation was. The loop with the trailer sites is Loop B. I apologize for the mix-up. It was my mistake to say it was Loop A. The trailer area is in Loop B.
It ought to be open for booking this month.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:10 PM   #72

Registry
Yes.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:43 PM   #73

Registry
WELCOME ALL Seattle Area Gathering FGRVers and Friends!

Dash Point State Park (New Thread has been started)...

Registration is now OPEN for September 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 2017. Whichever day you first want to camp is the day, 9 months ahead, to go online or call if you'd like to camp with us!

1-888-226-7688 reservations (may have some glitches today)
1-360-902-8844 information

Hope to see you!
BEST
Kai
Old 03-28-2017, 11:26 PM   #74

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Another suggestion

I see you have settled on Dash Point.
My only problem with DP is I understand many homeless stay there. I have never been.
I was going to suggest Kanasket-Palmer:

https://washington.goingtocamp.com/K...rStatePark?Map

It is only 38 miles from Seattle. I don't know how appropriate it would be. It does seem to have some spaces without size limit (32'). The spaces seem to be like the old section of Taidnapam with much underbrush.

I am not making any commitments since I am still recovering from my Henderson adventure.

I can scope out KP and see what I think.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:48 PM   #75

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Roger, sorry that you are not up to 100% yet.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:28 AM   #76

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
I see you have settled on Dash Point.
My only problem with DP is I understand many homeless stay there. I have never been.
I was going to suggest Kanasket-Palmer:

https://washington.goingtocamp.com/K...rStatePark?Map

It is only 38 miles from Seattle. I don't know how appropriate it would be. It does seem to have some spaces without size limit (32'). The spaces seem to be like the old section of Taidnapam with much underbrush.

I am not making any commitments since I am still recovering from my Henderson adventure.

I can scope out KP and see what I think.
I checked with a cousin that lives near the park. Her response follows:

"I know there have been homeless families there. I'm not aware of any problems. We hike through there frequently, and haven't had any negative encounters. There are more mountain bikers, dog walkers and trail maintenance people. I hope that's helpful!"

We are still on board for the SAG outing. Looking forward to meeting everyone.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:43 AM   #77

Registry
Try New Thread: Seattle Area Gathering 2017

Hi, Roger, We considered Kanaskat-Palmer. It's good of you to offer; but Paul and I have seen it. We camped there last summer. It's not bad.

But in the end we chose Dash Point for this particular SAG outing. We'll have a brainstorm session at the meet n greet moment and add your idea and see what we think on Sat. AM. We're making Saturday the "big day" in case there are those who just want to drive down for the day and not stay overnight. There is some overflow parking available, though it is $5 a day, I believe.

We've been through Dash Point three times, and saw only what looked like legitimate campers...the office staff across the main road seem involved and interested and "present." So I'm not sure about homeless people causing trouble.

Several people have reserved sites already.

Roger, I'm sorry you're not feeling up to snuff. Hope to see you if only on Saturday...if you do come, please be sure to introduce yourself!

I'm not feeling quite myself this year, either, so we're keeping planned events to a minimum. We'll still have something for the dogs, a "parade" and tricks session, if nothing else. Paul pointed out dog races would be darn hard to do while keeping them in X-pens or on leashes; I agree.

New thread: Seattle Area Gathering 2017.

Dave Fish--thanks for checking on that homeless issue for us--!

BEST
Kai
Old 04-01-2017, 11:14 AM   #78

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Kanasket-Palmer

We drove out there Thursday. It is a Tacoma Power park. It has a dump station. It has a lot of pull through sites. It wasn't full, but did have a lot of campers. I hate to admit it, but we have lived here 40 years and this is the first time we went to KP. It reminds me a lot of the old section in Taidnapam.

It is only 13 miles from our house. I am spoiled by Taidnapam, although that is 80 miles. But I feel if you are going to camp so close to home, you may as well stay in your yard.

We used to belong to Good Sam but got tired of all the required meetings, etc. but they always went to private parks which I think is better for groups. They have meeting rooms with kitchens and the ability to play games or do jigsaw puzzles. I tried to get one started a couple of years ago at Elma but we were the only ones to show up. One fellow who lived in the area did stop by. Of course this was the early part of November which with electric power/heat in our rigs is not a big thing I don't think. But apparently everyone else did.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 02:23 PM   #79

Registry
Since the 2017 SAG will be at Dash Point State Park, here are better directions for it. I'll post them again on the Seattle Area Gathering 2017 thread, and will start a new thread soon for updates.

For those with GPS units, there should be little problem. We don't have one and not only have we had some struggles finding this park, but a few years ago we completely "lost" it--this is our third trip there since we started the SAG idea, and I think we've got it.

FINDING DASH POINT STATE PARK 2017

1. Take I-5 south from Seattle

2. Exit 149 (Des Moines/Saltwater State Park/Sho Ware/Highline College/Kent-Des Moines/516 West) OR take the 272nd Street Exit from I-5. (directions from here are the same)

3. Take a RIGHT at the end/bottom of the exit.

4. Take a LEFT onto Highway 99

5. Go into the center or right (carpool) lane and stay in it. (The right turn arrows allow you to continue in the carpool lane)

6. At S. Dash Point Road, take a Right. This is also 509.

7. STAY on Dash Point Road/509 all the way to the park.

8. About a “block” past 312th there will be a right-angle, RIGHT turn to stay on Dash Point Road/509. It is marked, but easy to miss. You’ll pass a shopping area around 312th and a park will be on the left afterwards. The RIGHT turn is after the park.

9. This becomes a curvy road that winds down toward sea level.

10. There will be a “Dumas Bay Sanctuary” on the right; past that the road takes a sharp LEFT turn to stay on Dash Point Road/509.

11. Watch for the Dash Point State Park sign. The campground is to the left.

12. The overflow parking is on the left once you're in the park.

13. Trailer camping is on the RIGHT.

Site 37 is the FGRV SAG Host site...Site 39 is the weenie roast site, Site 49 has a trail to the amphitheater. Restroom is near the center and the central field is where we plan to have the dog events and the potluck supper.

Old 04-01-2017, 02:43 PM   #80

Registry
It was a wild day today out there on our way to Dash Point State Park and home again today, Saturday, April 1, and no fooling. We encountered multiple cop cars with at least one and probably two arrests actually occurring as we passed. Ambulances (3 times). Tow trucks (twice), and a 3-car wreck (once.) Must've been the misty, gray day or a bad moon risin' or something! Wow!

The park was full of campers, setting up BBQs and riding bikes...we got a good look at the sites that are literally open to the central field (very nice) and our host site 37 (filled today with a gigantic RV with toad) and Site 49 (another gigantic RV with toad)---site 49 has the little trail to the amphitheater, very handy.

they have moved several of the little cabins out of area B up to beyond the turnoff to the tent-only area...making a little cabin city up there, will be quite nice when done, it looks like. The park is under much care and work. It is an extremely popular park. I was surprised to see so many campers already...seemed too cold and wet to me to camp right now!

But it should be drier in September (knock wood) and hope to see you there. I hear all the pull-thru sites are taken now; only back-ins left.

Perhaps next year we'll consider another, larger place. But for 2017, hoping we have a good visit to Dash Point. Day people are very welcome if they want just a Daycation from Seattle--which is why we looked for a park so close in.

I want to point out that Denny Creek Campground up in the National Forest is an interesting place to go, too, with a lovely waterfall about 2 miles away--a hike-only destination. Be prepared to carry older dogs; they flag on the little rise before reaching the falls. But the amenities are different...the group site is "cozy" (close together) and only a few sites have electric and none have direct water or sewer.

Still...it can be quite nice.

BEST
Kai