WA Seeking Ideas for a Seattle Meet - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-11-2016, 06:06 PM   #57

Trailer: 1974 Compact II 1995 16' Scamp Deluxe
Washington
Send a message via AIM to Chuck H
Kyak Pt. is a saltwater park not on a lake. It has electric only hookups with water spigots dispersed throughout the campground and no dumps or dump station, you must use the dump station along freeway near Marysville. It is an older park with a single restroom in campground with showers. They have a "Yurt village" with 10 yurts. Wenberg Park on Lake Goodwin is not far from Kyak and has a very "tight campground" not very private but with a newer restroom and some full hookups.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:26 PM   #58

Name: Kathleen (Kai in Seattle)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck H View Post
Kyak Pt. is a saltwater park not on a lake. It has electric only hookups with water spigots dispersed throughout the campground and no dumps or dump station, you must use the dump station along freeway near Marysville. It is an older park with a single restroom in campground with showers. They have a "Yurt village" with 10 yurts. Wenberg Park on Lake Goodwin is not far from Kyak and has a very "tight campground" not very private but with a newer restroom and some full hookups.

Hi, Chuck, we agree. We didn't go to Wenberg, partly because it is at least as far as Kayak Point or Flowing Lake, and it took us over an hour to drive to them. We wanted this to be more centralized near Seattle.

Some good observations and comments!

One of the things that concerned us about both Flowing Lake and Kayak Point are the multi-level campsites. At Flowing Lake some are stepped and fenced, one fenced so you don't fall off the ledge at the edge of your campsite, about 10 feet across, if that. Others are just irregularly sloped, as is the approach to the restroom at Kayak Point. One of the showers in Kayak Point Women's room is what we called a "peek show" as there is a lack of normal privacy. And you have to walk through one shower area to get to the second.
"Tight" was our thought on the camping areas at Kayak Point and Flowing Lake as well, beautiful as those parks are.

Thanks for your input!

No park is perfect for everyone. We've chose Dash Point for September 21, 22, and 23rd, and if you wanted to come for only 1 day, Saturday the 23rd would work fine as a Daycation within 25 miles of Seattle, no rig required.

BEST
Kai

Old 10-11-2016, 06:29 PM   #59

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970/Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Good news. Weird that the reservation system won't book one for a small trailer, though. It says the site is unsuitable for your equipment. I guess for those we'd have to call in unless they change it by December.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:35 PM   #60

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Good news. Weird that the reservation system won't book one for a small trailer, though. It says the site is unsuitable for your equipment. I guess for those we'd have to call in unless they change it by December.

Hi, Bobbie,

The site cannot be booked until 9 months or less before the date you want it. If you're trying to book for the rest of this year, bookings close September 15 for the rest of the year until January 1.

I believe you can call the camp office (be prepared for a few trials) and talk to them in person. They've been helpful, if sometimes they have to look things up.

360-902-8844 --
253-661-4955
888-226-7688

I doubt it's your equipment. More likely it's the site's not telling you it won't book anyone until January 1st, and then only 9 months in advance.

Let us know how this goes for you!

BEST
Kai
Old 10-11-2016, 06:41 PM   #61

Washington
Registry
No, I was trying for a May date which can be booked now (not going to book, just to see what sites were available) and it said "The site is available but is not suitable for your equipment". (Trailer under 18 feet.)
Old 10-11-2016, 06:46 PM   #62

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
No, I was trying for a May date which can be booked now (not going to book, just to see what sites were available) and it said "The site is available but is not suitable for your equipment". (Trailer under 18 feet.)

Hi, Bobbie,

Right, this site has the darndest thing: the reservations system for the year shuts off on September 15. After that date, you cannot make further reservations until January 1st. Weirdest thing ever. Why do they do it that way?

Try calling, is my suggestion. The 888 number is free.

888-226-7688 I just talked to "her" there an hour ago; she was very nice.
M -F 8 AM - 5 PM

Thanks for the updates...it's good to know how this actually works in the real world. Your 18' trailer should be fine for almost any of the sites in Loop A.

BEST
Kai
Old 10-11-2016, 06:50 PM   #63

Washington
Registry
I was trying for a May date which can be booked now (not going to book, just to see what sites were available) and it said "The site is available but is not suitable for your equipment". (Trailer under 18 feet.)

I re-read this again, and don't know what the problem is, should have been able to get "some" information! Try calling, that's my suggestion.

Obviously the park "CAN" be reserved, we saw a parkfull of RVs and trailers last Thursday, everyone looked pleased, they waved and smiled so it must work out sometimes!
BEST
Kai
Old 10-11-2016, 06:52 PM   #64

Washington
Registry
I'm sure they'll do it by phone- just odd that the system is wrong. I haven't run into that before with the State Parks.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:18 PM   #65

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
I was trying for a May date which can be booked now (not going to book, just to see what sites were available) and it said "The site is available but is not suitable for your equipment". (Trailer under 18 feet.)

I re-read this again, and don't know what the problem is, should have been able to get "some" information! Try calling, that's my suggestion.

Obviously the park "CAN" be reserved, we saw a parkfull of RVs and trailers last Thursday, everyone looked pleased, they waved and smiled so it must work out sometimes!
BEST
Kai
What that response is about.
Not all sites have room to park a tow vehicle side by side with a trailer so even if the trailer is not a long one you still could not use it without being unhitched as the site is too short to be in with the tow vehicle and trailer hooked together.

If it was a double wide driveway spot, even though not a long spot, then they would have said OK for your length of trailer.

Or maybe it was just too short and only good for car camping with a tent.

My experience with the State of Oregon Parks was they had better information about these things, they tell you what is what about the individual sites.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:19 PM   #66

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I got a similar message when I tried to book Kayak Point for the same weekend just out of curiosity. That was before the location was announced and I was trying to help with research.

Thanks to Kai for visiting these parks. I was thinking about doing the same the next time I was allowed to leave the Island.

1970 Trails West Campster
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Old 10-19-2016, 05:21 PM   #67

Name: Hidalga
Trailer: Modified 13' Scamp
Full-Timer
Quote:
Hi, Bobbie,

Right, this site has the darndest thing: the reservations system for the year shuts off on September 15. After that date, you cannot make further reservations until January 1st. Weirdest thing ever. Why do they do it that way?
Hi Kai,
I experienced a similar problem with many government-operated campgrounds in the SE region of the US lately, and what they're doing is closing the reservation system in their off-peak time of the year for a first-come, first-serve basis.
It just means that they're not getting enough bookings to utilize human resources for reservations. There's plenty of sites available, you just can't choose which one ahead of schedule.

2015-2017 Producer: Fiberglass RV Rally Google Map
Hidalga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:00 PM   #68

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:

It would also be due to trees the site is difficult to get into or there is a turn around issue for trailer and vehicle. I know a couple of sites at Kayak point are restricted due to an issue getting into them with a trailer and they are not going to take down trees within the park to fix the issue. One park I stayed at in Idaho the issue was a bit of a round about of trees you needed to get through to get to the site. You could fit a fairly large trailer into the actual site but getting it to the site was not possible if your combo length was over X so many feet.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:11 PM   #69

Washington
Registry
It had every single tent site in loop A marked as not suitable for trailers. It wasn't a specific site that wasn't good.