25 Delicious Camping Recipes - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #15
Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
I don't know about the Volcano, but the "pork roast" pic I posted earlier is in an 8 inch dutch oven as Sandy describes, and it was cooked entirely on the stove top in the Trillium.

That small dutch oven size exactly matches the burner cutout...after well- browning the roast with the lid off, I turned the heat down as low as possible, put the lid on slightly ajar, and let it "roast" for a half hour or so. Then I added all the root vegetables I could fit in there (Onion, carrots, rutabagas, turnips, parsnips) and covered tightly for another hour or so. The brussels sprouts went in for the last twenty minutes.

No room for potatoes, a necessary adjunct as far as I'm concerned, so I cheated the first night and we had (gasp) instant mashed! (For camping, I love those packets that you just add 2 cups of boiling water to- so easy, and not bad, either!)

My husband and I got two nights of dinner out of that potful.

Propane Facts vs. Fiction:. Click here
Tow Limit Calculator: Click here
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #16
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Eastern Ontario
We got the volcano stove with the propane attachment and the dome (the cloth/foil "lid" as they call it). Put the dutch oven in the stove with the propane on very low and put the "lid" on over the stove. You have to play with it a bit to get the right temperature but it works great. Quite often my nose tells me when things are done. We have also used Pie Irons with the volcano.

If you are looking at getting a volcano stove, get the cookbook/manual (lots of good info in it) as well as the lid and the propane burner. We have used briquettes, wood in it but do most of our cooking with propane. It is one of our better purchases.

Sandy C

Sandy Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #17
Name: Kim
Trailer: Boler
Hi, where did you get your volcano stove from in Ontario?
KimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:11 AM   #18
Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Kim, I've looked for suppliers in Ontario but not found any. However, this company is Canadian and ships for $30.

My preference is usually to order from US and ship to FGRV friends in NY or MI then pickup on next camping trip or rally
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:50 AM   #19
Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
go to You Tube for vids
Volcano II Collapsible Stove - YouTube
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #20
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Eastern Ontario
Got the Volcano stove from Briden Solutions. They are good people and have given me excellent service. I highly recommend them.

Sandy C.

Sandy Christie is offline   Reply With Quote