Anyone ever do this - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-24-2015, 09:45 AM   #15
Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
p.s. Hey Glenn, when is the last time you had a Ding Dong??
Probably 55 years ago.
They stopped making them a few years ago didn't they, or was that another like product.
But, I understand that if you bought one at that time, it would still be inedible. No typo.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:50 PM   #16
Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Cathy (Avey)---can you elaborate on the method you use for canning your chicken breasts?

One thing I find a challenge is the storage of meat (raw/frozen) in our tiny freezer compartment...usually necessitating a trip to the store about every 2nd day. Being able to bring bottled meat might be one solution.

theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:07 AM   #17
Name: carleen
Trailer: On epic search for Eriba
I tried the recipe yesterday and amazingly delicious! Everyone in my family love, loved it. I made two batches, one with reduced sugar, closer to a 1/4 cup and it still tasted great.

I would also like more info on how Cathy does chicken.
carleene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:03 AM   #18
Name: Zac & Cathy
Trailer: Burro
Hi, when you can things like vegetables and meat you need a canning pressure cooker. I need to stay away from soidum so a few years ago I picked one up, and have used it alot since. But it works great with all meat, even pre- cooked hambugar meat.
And you can be sure that right before my next trip I'm going to make up bread and cakes in mason jars in my oven and seal them up. I keep wondering if I made my stuff up a head of time in my jars and when cooled placed them in the freezer then take them out right before we leave to take with us, could I extend their shelf life. I have keep a jar of bread at home for an experiment in my pantry for five years to see just how long it would last before it started to grow mold. Still waiting! I won't ever eat it and some day I'll through it a way. So as far as keeping bread and cakes fresh and good tasting, I would give them a few weeks up to maybe a couple of months before the flavor starts to be effected.
I'm trying to find the best packing method, one thought is old sockes or whine bottles meshie things. Can anyone come up with a neat way to transport them without breaking the jars?
Have a wonderful day
Avey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:20 AM   #19
Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
my ex safely brought wine bottles home from europe using tube sox. might serve 3 purposes: pack less sox & slide full jars in clean sox; eat the food & wear the sox; slide the empties in dirty sox for travel home. win-win lol!
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:20 AM   #20
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
For any kind of canning and preserving Putting Food By was the bible and could be found at any book store with a cooking section. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:24 PM   #21
Commercial Member
Name: Deb & Chuck
Trailer: Bigfoot,Trillum, Boler
I have pressure canned chicken breasts, turkey, ground beef, beef roasts, and pork for many years and call it my "Homemade fast food". All of these canned meats are great for camping for easy nutritious fast meals. I follow the directions to the letter from the latest issue of the Ball Canning book to be totally safe. You must have a pressure canner to put up meats- water bathing will not do.
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:58 PM   #22
Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Just getting back into this thread. Hubby and I were talking about the 'canned' cakes the other day. He said his 'granny on the farm on the prairies' used to make them. Carrot cake he remembered with a smile. Best of all though was the Christmas Pudding. Granny made them in January for consumption at Christmas.

I second the thoughts about taking great care about canning meat and veggies - a pressure canner is essential - and "Stocking Up" is a super book to read (it is in our local library).

Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote