"Bob-a Que" grill , ever used one? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camp Cooking, Food & Recipes
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1999
I got a Kulula's catalog in the mail the other day and I noticed this outdoor grill in it that can be used over a fire. The grill looks like it might work well?

Anyone tried one of these before? $39.99 with free shipping-

Link to site: https://www.kotulas.com

https://www.kotulas.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s..._category=13055
Mark J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:11 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry

Click image for larger version

Name:	clevis_slip_hook_dimensions.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	26805

Never tried one.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: In the market
Indiana
I have seen these, but I have never tried one. I would be worried about the wind. We all know that the elements can be unpredictable! I am a big fan of appliances within my RV or a more traditional grill. I like to make sure that I have a safe way to cook my food.
ontheraodagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #4

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
In Girl Scouts we used to carry the grill out of a regular barbeque and put rocks or bricks between it's bottom and top of the stationary grills at campsites. It was large enough to cook a buncha burgers and dogs and very stable with a couple of bricks/rocks on top in case of knocking it with a leg, arm or cooking utensil...we never lost a meal.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #5

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp 5th wheel
North Dakota
When camping over 30 years ago on the Northern end of the Queen Charlotte Islands BC. My aunt did all the cooking (for 10 people!) using a set up similar to this. I think though it had more support. Do you know anyone who attends Rendevous's? They are the pro's when cooking over an open fire. I would checkout one of their websites.
There is nothing that tastes like food cooked over an open fire! good luck
Chris in ND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:46 AM   #6

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
do a websearch on cowby cooking, or campfire cookware.
everything from grates, tripods, spitroasters,,,pot hangers,,,anything you need for cooking on a campfire.

i always carry a bottom section of 55 gallon drum , in case theres no fire pit, as i camp in some pretty secluded areas sometimes. add a tripod grill and a spit and its real handy for cooking. i generaly use charcoal, as i don't like to haul wood around. just buy a pack of local firewood and use it sparingly for a little flavor, and maybe a flame in the evening.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #7

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
I wish I could find the thing we used in South Africa around 30 years ago. Visualize a tripod with three chains hanging down. The grill hand from the chains. It's a double-sided grill that you put the food inside of. When needed, you flip the grill over. The whole thing packed really small. Ah... the braii!
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #8

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
Some good friends we have camped with for years have something similar to what Gary describes. A tripod w/ 3 chains holding a grill-from a Weber - that is adjustable for height by raising and lowering the chain. not a double so you have to flip the meat not the grill. Works great. They had a local welder fab it for them. They have replaced the grill a couple of times. I agree fire seared meat is um um good. They also tend to use charcoal for the fire for consistent heat and speed of attaining coals.
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17 ft
Registry
We use a Mountain Man Griddle.
It is a heavy post you drive into the ground that holds a fire tray and grill or griddle.
Amazon has them for $99 which is a good price.
It is a very robust set up, which means heavy, but the fire tray doubles as a dutch oven table.
Attached Thumbnails
MMG.jpg  
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #10

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Two small grills with folding legs (backpacking sized) and an old propane BBQ grill between them. All stores flat and does not weigh much.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I used a small grill placed on rocks in backpacking phase. Fire restrictions and realizing that I really didn't want to mess with a fire and that grill is long gone.