Bread baking while camping - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2017, 09:02 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
a round soft unsweetened bread resembling a muffin, cooked on a griddle or the like, and often toasted. British Slang. a sexually attractive woman. Origin of crumpet.
Crumpet | Define Crumpet at Dictionary.com

Crumpet | Define Crumpet at Dictionary.com
Old 04-21-2017, 09:44 PM   #22

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Doesn't say anything about British slang here - but it does show a recipe for crumpets.

Old Fashioned Home-Made English Crumpets For Tea-Time Recipe - Food.com
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:38 PM   #23

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Making fresh flour tortillas is very easy and they are delicious. They make a perfect wrap sandwich. Breakfast tacos made with flour tortillas wrapped around scrambled eggs and a sausage link or bacon strip. Flat breads are a tradition for nomadics around the world. They cook in a just a few minutes and all you need for equipment to cook a tortilla is a skillet.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:25 AM   #24

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
The rings, for making what Americans call "English" muffins, is indeed a crumpet ring. The ring is used for both things. A crumpet is made with more hydration than an English muffin. They have a holier texture than the more bready English muffin. The English muffin is made with yeast and/or sourdough.

A muffin is made in a muffin/cupcake tin. What we call a muffin is usually, but not always, sweet, and a lot like a cupcake without frosting. There is no yeast for leavening in a muffin. It is a like a small individual, sweet cake like bread.

Biscuits do not use rings. They are generally leavened with baking powder. Sometimes sourdough is used. Since biscuits are a quickly made bread, with yeast is only used in a few biscuit recipes. They are put next to each other in a pan for support. Hopefully you will end up with a light, fluffy, individual biscuit. It is not at all like a cracker or cookie, unless you are kneading the lightness out of it. Then it is called a mistake, or what my husband called hockey pucks, when I was first learning to make them.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:44 PM   #25

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
Marsha - may I check some terminology with you? I am originally a Brit, now living in Canada, and some words just mean different things in different places!

You mentioned muffins. Are these the cake like items often made with healthier ingredients and cooked in small cake tins? Blueberry muffins, cranberry muffins, bran muffins etc.. Or maybe you mean English muffins that are a bit like a bread dough pancake.

You also mentioned using rings. Do you mean crumpet rings? How do they help with making biscuits? Have you had any success with making your own crumpets (I can make 'sort of' crumpets but haven't got to where I can make them just like the ones from the bakery).

As a Brit I know the word biscuit to mean a thin, usually crunchy thing like a cookie. However, my Canadian in-laws call scones biscuits. What sort of things were you making with those rings?

Hope you can understand this - I've been living with this confusion in terminology for many years. Mostly I just try to remember that when Person A says biscuit they mean an English style one and that Person B means a scone. I hardly ever meet anyone who isn't British who know what a crumpet is.
:Hazel have you never had a Canuck Muffin or white man's Bannock as it was us who taught the Natives how to make Bannock not them to us. We make banana, sukini, strawberry, rasberry, pumkin, raisin, cherry Muffins but the best yet is Bannock come out hot and and stick strawberry or Rasberry jam on them and they melt in your mouth they are so good. Anyone can make up a Bannock mix and cook over any old fire or stove.
Muffins and Bannock are 100% Canadian.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:46 PM   #26

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
I make bannock too - different from the other things mentioned. The grandkids like to wrap some dough around a stick and cook it over the fire. I have made Canadian style muffins but they are too much like cake for us to have regularly.

There seem to be endless versions of bread type stuff - some sweet too - like Yorkshire tea cakes and cinnamon buns.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:34 PM   #27

Trailer: Casita
Registry
baking

You folks are making it too complicated. All you need is one of these and you can bake plenty of goodies.
Coleman camp oven.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009PURJA...a-276206510065
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:50 PM   #28

Trailer: Casita
Registry
This is another option that is small and works for some baking.
Knapp Monarch Redi Baker

They are a vintage item but used ones are available. Ebay usually has some.

VINTAGE Knapp Monarch Redi Baker Electric Counter Top Cooker Toaster Oven | eBay
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:04 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Masse View Post
You folks are making it too complicated. All you need is one of these and you can bake plenty of goodies.
Coleman camp oven.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009PURJA...a-276206510065
I have one. It weighs seven pounds.
I'd leave it at home and stop at a bakery.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:38 AM   #30

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I have one. It weighs seven pounds.
I'd leave it at home and stop at a bakery.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:44 AM   #31

Name: Carl
Trailer: Scamp 16
Pennsylvania
I would be afraid of every bear in Pa would stop by for the yummy smelling goodies. Carl
Carlcivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:14 AM   #32

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlcivi View Post
I would be afraid of every bear in Pa would stop by for the yummy smelling goodies. Carl
I don't think that would be any different than any other cooking, and I have cooked thousands of meals outside in bear country.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:38 PM   #33

Name: Sandy
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Florida
We take our Big Green Egg (the MiniMax size) with us camping. Great for grilling, but as a bonus we do bake bread as well. We bake "Soberdough beer bread". So easy...just pour a beer into the mix, stir till combined, pour into a cast iron loaf pan. We bake at 350 for about 40 min....yum.
Newfang is offline   Reply With Quote