Bread baking while camping - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-13-2017, 08:27 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Bread baking while camping

Who bakes bread while camping? What method do you use to bake it? Do you have a go to recipe? Do you bake sour dough?
I bake bread while camping in the Cobb grill or a Dutch oven. I received a small pizza stone for Christmas and plan to try a loaf in my collapsible Coleman oven. I often take sour dough with me to make up sour dough no knead bread.
Let's hear your bread techniques.. Terry

Old 04-13-2017, 09:42 AM   #2
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry R. View Post
Who bakes bread while camping? What method do you use to bake it? Do you have a go to recipe? Do you bake sour dough?
I bake bread while camping in the Cobb grill or a Dutch oven. I received a small pizza stone for Christmas and plan to try a loaf in my collapsible Coleman oven. I often take sour dough with me to make up sour dough no knead bread.
Sorry. Can't help. Our bread technique encompasses a trip to the deli section of the nearest grocery store. When camping, we have many more things we would rather do than baking bread. We consider that a "back home" activity.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:20 AM   #3
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Here's a recent thread on baking bread while camping. It includes a link to an older discussion, too.
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:53 PM   #4

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
I've basically decided it won't be happening in my camper. I have an oven, but I think it's too small, doesn't get hot enough, and I don't want all that heat in my camper. If I had some sort of outside oven it might be different, but even then, I'd have to learn a different technique. The way I do it is a bit of mess (and bread dough is a great sink clogger) and takes a lot of counter space.

Like people mention in the linked thread (just a couple down from this one if you look), sourdough pancakes or something similar to that is a much better option. But with an outdoor oven, you'd definitely have more luck.

I just bake when I'm in a house, and stock up. I slice it and put it in the freezer. Not the same as fresh-out-of-the-oven bread, but still a lot better than what you get at a grocery store.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:20 PM   #5

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Dutch Ovens.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:04 AM   #6

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry R. View Post
:Terry we now have a oven in our last two MH's my wife bakes bread as she is non Gluten and likes her bread more than whole wheat, I occasionaly eat hers as she has got past the Sawdust taste and smell I now eat it most of the time. Her loads are great in size but at first she got holes in them like the ones u would see inside a rock, it turned out when the oven light burned out her holes disappeared I guess the heat from the light caused the dough to rise to fast.
We also do a lot of Pizza's, small roasts etc. in that little oven.
Stude
Old 04-14-2017, 11:26 AM   #7

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
If I wanted fresh bread while camping I would do it the same way I do at home - Bread Machine. Quick, Easy, no muss, no fuss. And the bread is pretty good too.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:48 PM   #8

My camp bread baking is done outside the camper. Actually, all my cooking is done outside.

Interesting how people approach baking, or not, bread.

I love the fact there are so many kinds and techniques available. It intrigues me that you can take flour, salt and water and manipulate it to taste very different. You can even add commercial yeast, or not.

Just thought it would be fun to see if others shared the same interest and if they carried it to the extreme of outdoor baking.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:35 PM   #9

Montana
Registry
I would love to, but not yet. Not buying any more "equipment" any time in the near future, and I'm only just starting to learn how to bake bread.

I've baked 4 times now; just started this winter. Using my own sourdough starter. I'm going to try sourdough pancakes for the first time tomorrow morning (buckwheat). Exciting.

Once I figure out what I'm doing a little better, I think I'll be willing to experiment more. I've had good results every time so far, but that's because I'm very closely following the instructions on a sourdough baking website I found. I don't really know what I'm doing, but I do know how to follow instructions.

Once I get it down better, I think I'll start looking into some outdoor bread methods.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:28 PM   #10

ZachO, everyone starts where you are. Won't be long until you are giving masterpieces away, because you are getting better and better.

No special equipment needed for camp baking. Even a grill can be used, once you get the hang of it. There are flat breads you can do on griddles or skillets. The possibilities are endless.

Good luck on your journey.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:11 AM   #11

Montana
Registry
Thanks!

Well, by special equipment I just mean buying stuff I don't have. I don't have a grill

Right now I'm looking for work and so there's no room for unnecessary expenses, even simple stuff like that.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:25 PM   #12

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
I haven't tried bread or cake baking as we have no oven. Sometime this summer I might try doing some Naan on the grill.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:08 AM   #13

Name: Marsha
Trailer: Oliver
Michigan
Registry
I make English muffins while camping, in a cast iron skillet. I've taken the muffin rings and wrapped them in foil to make biscuits - they sit above the grill grates at low temperature. That seemed to work out well. I love making bread, so maybe I'll try that while camping, in the form of rolls, which would cook much quicker. We don't have an oven, so I would have to haul a toaster oven along, but I much prefer experimenting with the Weber Q since we have that with us anyway.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:20 AM   #14

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
If your BBQ is tall enough, you can use an over stone in it and bake what you like. This really evens out the heat. Our stone is cut from a 1/2" travertine marble tile. Pizza, buns, mac 'n cheese, chickens, roasts, etc, can all be done in the gas BBQ.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote