Camping Breakfast question - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2003, 02:59 AM   #41

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Orginally posted by Charles Watts

And why is it that my camping breakfast .... a bowl of Fiber One in ice cold milk and a banana or orange ... has no odor at all?

Why is it all the other stuff smells so good cooking up in the campground?
BECAUSE your Wife won't let you eat the GOOD stuff.:lol

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 09:01 AM   #42

Quote:
Orginally posted by Mary F
(Biscuits I also do inside, on the stove.)

Perhaps not as much fun as cooking outside... and if we can ever build campfires again in Colorado, I will get a dutch oven... for cinnamon rolls, of course.

:cblob
couldn't you do the biscuits like you do the connamon rolls?

Old 02-28-2003, 09:09 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas and Janifer

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
Originally posted by Mary F
(Biscuits I also do inside, on the stove.)

Perhaps not as much fun as cooking outside... and if we can ever build campfires again in Colorado, I will get a dutch oven... for cinnamon rolls, of course.

couldn't you do the biscuits like you do the connamon rolls?[/quote]

Yes...

Old 02-28-2003, 11:24 AM   #44

I do a simple breakfast. I cook sausage at home and freeze the patties. Then at camp put two patties in the poacher with my egg in the third socket.When the eggi is done the patties are hot. Put it all on sliced English Muffin .One pot cleanup,and a paper plate. Plus several cups of coffee.

Old 02-28-2003, 11:29 AM   #45

Hi Charlie. Looks like you and me are neighbors, sorta!

I do like the sound of simple, especially when it comes to cleanup! You have a good idea there with the egg poacher...

Old 02-28-2003, 01:03 PM   #46

>>egg poacher

Is that someone who steals eggs ... kinda like a "generator poacher?"

Old 02-28-2003, 01:05 PM   #47

and how about FREE Range Eggs?

:)

Old 02-28-2003, 01:15 PM   #48

>>free range eggs

You know, in Texas, they still hang egg poachers ... or is it rustlers?

Old 02-28-2003, 03:24 PM   #49

yep:yep an egg poacher is someone who poaches eggs out of a poacher. now an egg rustler , that could get you strung up. no, that's someone who rustles up breakfast for the group. :yep

Old 02-28-2003, 05:15 PM   #50

We need to close this thread - everytime I see it, I start drooling on myself (I love breakfast while camping!) :o

Old 03-02-2003, 01:50 PM   #51

Low-Fat (but YUMMY) Breakfast

Okay, here's a low-fat breakfast that even Charles' wife would let him eat more than once a month. -- And it tastes and SMELLS wonderful!

Use just a bit of oil in the cast iron skillet. (I rub it on with a paper towel or spray it from one of those refillable oil sprayers.) Cook onions, garlic, red bell pepper and potatoes (chopped fine) until almost done. Crumble some frozen Morningstar Breakfast patties (non-meat but really taste great) in with the potatoes. Pour in some Egg Beaters and continue to cook until eggs are done. Season with salt, pepper and salsa. In another pan (no oil) cook low-fat tortillas until warmed. Roll the mixture up in the tortillas. You will have the neighbors salivating!

Nancy
In Oregon

Old 03-02-2003, 03:11 PM   #52

Quote:
Orginally posted by Nancy Wolf

Okay, here's a low-fat breakfast that even Charles' wife would let him eat more than once a month. -- And it tastes and SMELLS wonderful!

Use just a bit of oil in the cast iron skillet. (I rub it on with a paper towel or spray it from one of those refillable oil sprayers.) Cook onions, garlic, red bell pepper and potatoes (chopped fine) until almost done. Crumble some frozen Morningstar Breakfast patties (non-meat but really taste great) in with the potatoes. Pour in some Egg Beaters and continue to cook until eggs are done. Season with salt, pepper and salsa. In another pan (no oil) cook low-fat tortillas until warmed. Roll the mixture up in the tortillas. You will have the neighbors salivating!

Nancy
In Oregon
:wave That sounds just like our Breakfast Burritos, and they ARE good. The only thing we do differently is add a little chopped celantro. Mmmm, Mmmm, Good. (Some times we add low fat cheese too)

Old 03-02-2003, 09:31 PM   #53

You're right, I forgot the low fat cheese! Geesh! I melt that over the top of the egg and potato mixture at the very end. Cilantro sounds like a wonderful addition. Yum!

Nancy

Old 03-06-2003, 09:34 PM   #54

Mary:
I've been out of touch, work and all that sort of thing. Yes I expect we are neighbors in a country sort of way. I live in Austin and Marble, depending on when I can get out to Marble, like about 1 or 2 days a week if I am lucky. House in Austin, and 24 ft.Nomad behind my brothers house off 1431 near Smithwick. I used to own land in South Jonestown Hills, sold it to buy further out and big enough for me, my brothers, and our folks all to live on and not step on each other.A casita/scamp is in my future but probably not before spring/summer. Being single with one son still at home , two places to live and my own business I am big on one pot meals, and cast iron cooking.Simple,fast,easy, that seems to be my motto for the kitchen. I'll have to give you my latest recipe for Habinero Strawberry Chicken.(one bowl, 1 grill,easy clean up.)

Old 03-06-2003, 09:44 PM   #55

Off Topic

Smithwick! Why that's even closer than Marble Falls...

Charlie, did you see my entry in the Interesting Views thread? It's our place over in south South Jonestown Hills...

:sunny

Hey, start a new thread for the Habanero Strawberry Chicken recipe, okay? Sounds interesting! :wave

Old 03-06-2003, 10:21 PM   #56

Jonestown

Mary: How far from the South Jonestown water tank are you? We used to own the hill top next to it, where the little concrete block building is and also 20 acres in the valley on Lupe Lane.

Old 03-06-2003, 10:27 PM   #57

HabenaroStrawberry Chicken

This is an easy one.
I buy boneless,skinless chicken thighs.
Chicken into a bowl or large ziplock bag
add 1 cup Habinero Salsa
add 3/4 cup Strawberry preserves
add 1/4 to 1/2 cup Soy sauce
allow to marianade a couple of hours at least(day if you have patience)
using a fork poke lots of holes in the chicken to allow flavors to penetrate.
Grill and after flipping the first time put left over marianade on top to caramalize.
Great with wild rice
If you use a Ziplock freezer bag and a grill the total cleanup is the fork.

Old 03-08-2003, 11:41 PM   #58

Still on breakfast eh? - great topic

Nancy, I like your lowfat breakfast tacos/burritos recipe. Sounds really good. I'll have to try those morningstar breakpast patties.

Old 03-09-2003, 01:40 AM   #59

Morningstar is the best

Audrey, Morningstar has the best non-meat breakfast patties, in my opinion. I don't like some of the others at all. Enjoy!

Nancy

Old 03-09-2003, 09:36 AM   #60

Morningstar...uh... stuff

As a result of this thread I went out and bought some Morningstar links. So, now— who do I sue???

No-- just funnin'! They weren't half bad. In fact, they were better than half good. If one were to stay OFF the real thing long enough (no comparisons thereby) you might even convince yourself that they were...really good. I'm not ready to go that far yet, but I'm not going to give up on them either. In fact, I'm heading over to the cook-shack now to fire up my big oval skillet and eat the last two links with some over-mediums with hot salsa and grits on the side. (Putting some of the new Tabasco chipotle sauce on the links gives 'em a great boost.)

Keep in mind that these remarks come from a died-in-the-wool breakfast sausage fan and therefore YMMV.