can your own bacon - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
can your own bacon

The other thread was talking about canned bacon. It got me to thinking and I decided I would investigate canning your own bacon.

I learned that people do it all the time. Buy it cheaply in bulk and get yourself some parchment paper and quart jars, then go to town with a pressure canner.

I knew my grandmother and aunts canned chicken but I never thought about how covenient it would be to can your own meats for camping. No need to worry about keeping it cold and it is all cooked for your recipes.

Chicken and beef when it is on sale and be ready for those casseroles, stews, fajitas, tacos, pasta dishes, etc.

At least with canning your own, you would know the quality for what is in the jars and you wouldn't have to worry about MSG, or too much salt. Terry R.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
I grew up on a farm, and my mom always had an aversion to canning proteins. I'm not sure why
We canned every sort of vegetable and fruit and pickle .... but not meats. Those, we froze, and/or stored at the "meat locker" in town, for lack of space.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #3

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
A lot of the (older) farm women I know didn't have pressure canners. Without one home canning of some things was definitely discouraged by the 'experts'.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry R. View Post
The other thread was talking about canned bacon. It got me to thinking and I decided I would investigate canning your own bacon.

I learned that people do it all the time. Buy it cheaply in bulk and get yourself some parchment paper and quart jars, then go to town with a pressure canner.

I knew my grandmother and aunts canned chicken but I never thought about how covenient it would be to can your own meats for camping. No need to worry about keeping it cold and it is all cooked for your recipes.

Chicken and beef when it is on sale and be ready for those casseroles, stews, fajitas, tacos, pasta dishes, etc.

At least with canning your own, you would know the quality for what is in the jars and you wouldn't have to worry about MSG, or too much salt. Terry R.
Terry,
Exactly my thoughts so I can chicken every year and fresh Tuna and beef every few years. I call them my home-made fast foods. Pressure canned meats are great to take along camping too-real convenience foods.
Deb
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:17 AM   #5

Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
[QUOTE=Terry R.;274777]The other thread was talking about canned bacon. It got me to thinking and I decided I would investigate canning your own bacon.

I am wondering why anyone would want to can bacon I can almost everything including meats But bacon is cured and will keep for a long time in a cool place. or are you talking made from scratch from fresh side pork? We take our side meat and fatty scraps and pack it in a crock and store in a cool place and it will keep all winter. the rule is to use just enough salt in the brine to float a raw egg. I have added liquid smoke and raw sugar to this and come up with a very good bacon. so what I am saying you could pack raw side meat in a jar with this brine and it would last for months removing what you need and keeping it in a sealed jar .The draw back is the price of fresh side meat far exceedes that of good bacon. i have a batch of summer sausage in the smoker now.
Lyndon Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #6

Name: Richard & Carolyn
Trailer: 2000 Casita SD 17'
Gabriola Island, BC
Registry
[QUOTE=Lyndon Laney;274962]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry R. View Post

I am wondering why anyone would want to can bacon I can almost everything including meats But bacon is cured and will keep for a long time in a cool place. or are you talking made from scratch from fresh side pork? We take our side meat and fatty scraps and pack it in a crock and store in a cool place and it will keep all winter. the rule is to use just enough salt in the brine to float a raw egg. I have added liquid smoke and raw sugar to this and come up with a very good bacon. so what I am saying you could pack raw side meat in a jar with this brine and it would last for months removing what you need and keeping it in a sealed jar .The draw back is the price of fresh side meat far exceedes that of good bacon. i have a batch of summer sausage in the smoker now.
I have seen dried, pre cooked bacon that requires a bit of heat/micro prior to serving and does not need to be refrigerated. I have seen it in Costco, I think, have not bought or used it so don't know if it requires special re sealing once opened. If it doesn't then it may be one way to go.
Will pick it up next time I see it and read the directions.
Richard
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #7

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
sounds like a good idea,,,,,but BACON never lasts that long around me.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
John,
We have bacon 6 out of 7 mornings with our eggs, on the 7th we have sausage. On this year's trip I'm looking forward to some 250 strips of bacon.

For those that worry, we have our annual doctor's visit almost as soon as we get home.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Can your own bacon? Mine can't. Can yours? :-)
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote