Cast Iron skillet camp cooking - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2016, 06:11 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita
Cast Iron skillet camp cooking

Please, I would like to hear about receipes and such for a cast iron skillet.
wrdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:14 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
https://www.amazon.ca/Lodge-Cast-Iro.../dp/0848734343
Old 07-18-2016, 10:12 AM   #3

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
A deep cast iron medium size skillet is the ONLY skillet we take camping. There is not much you can't cook in a cast iron skillet for which you would need another type of skillet. We also take a cast iron lid so we can use it similar to a dutch oven on wood fire coals. Easy to clean and will last forever. We have 4 cast iron skillets of various sizes at home we use everyday.
jon
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:10 AM   #4

Name: Perk
Trailer: Formerly U-Haul
Arizona
Registry
You can also pick up lots of recipes on Pinterest.com by searching for "cast iron recipes". www.pinterest.com
Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:35 PM   #5

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Skillets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon carpenter View Post
A deep cast iron medium size skillet is the ONLY skillet we take camping. There is not much you can't cook in a cast iron skillet for which you would need another type of skillet. We also take a cast iron lid so we can use it similar to a dutch oven on wood fire coals. Easy to clean and will last forever. We have 4 cast iron skillets of various sizes at home we use everyday.
jon
: I use 12 or larger tin Skillets with 3-4' handles for cooking on a fire, no need to burn your hands when cooking with these and they are light when packing in with horses. I threw all our cast iron skillets out or sold them when we sold the cabin. Sure they twist and bend but so what it is the finished product we want to eat not the grease and fat which we pour off as needed which is easy and don't have to pack gloves to pick the handle up.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:21 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If you like cast iron this is one of my favorites. I am sure that they could be converted to skillet use with a lid.

dutchovendude.com
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
I'm a little obsessed with cast iron cooking, though I don't do a lot of it while camping--that said, one of my favorite things about it in the Scamp is using the induction burner with it. (I have my microwave on top of my stove, because I never use the stove; I'm already paying for electricity, so I don't want to burn propane too.) I love the induction burner, maybe a little too much.
Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:47 PM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have this set and can cook just about anything. https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-LCC3-Co...G80NX0F04W7Y6Z
Old 11-02-2016, 07:32 PM   #9

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have this set and can cook just about anything. https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-LCC3-Co...G80NX0F04W7Y6Z
Oh, I like that set. I have a Camp Chef DO with a lid that can reverse and be a griddle but haven't used it for that so far.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:36 PM   #10

Pennsylvania
Registry
We should have a cast iron rally where all food must be cooked on cast iron and then have a taste contest dinner. Hhhhmmm, something to think about.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:04 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Cast iron

Quote:
We should have a cast iron rally where all food must be cooked on cast iron and then have a taste contest dinner. Hhhhmmm, something to think about.
Jim, if we could fit it in we'd be up for a cast iron rally. As you know, I'm good on ideas but poor on follow up so I have the name: Cast Iron Rally in the ( fill in the blank) River Valley. After Scouting got me hooked it took several years to shake the lingering effects of Cast Ironitis. Northwest New York Dutch Oven Society and Dutch Oven Dave have quite a following as well as the international Dutch oven society out in Utah. That peach cobbler that Tonny cooked up at the Mississippi River rally was one of the high points in my potluck cuisine tasting for the year. Outstanding in a Lodge 10 inch D.O. Cast iron skillets, griddles, Dutch Ovens, pie irons, fajita plates, how can you miss? Ever make a pizza on the lid with the D.O. upside down. It can be done.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:56 AM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Its interesting that we have had cast iron pots and pans for over 200 years and we keep trying to make a better pot. Billions of dollars spent to fix a pot that wasn't broken to begin with.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:04 PM   #13

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Jim, if we could fit it in we'd be up for a cast iron rally. As you know, I'm good on ideas but poor on follow up so I have the name: Cast Iron Rally in the ( fill in the blank) River Valley. After Scouting got me hooked it took several years to shake the
I'd suggest somewhere along the Valley River in western North Carolina (it is a lovely valley). So, the Cast Iron Rally in the Valley River Valley.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:08 PM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingBob View Post
I'd suggest somewhere along the Valley River in western North Carolina (it is a lovely valley). So, the Cast Iron Rally in the Valley River Valley.
Ever thump a good piece of cast with a wooden handle? it has a nice ring to it both the cast and the rally
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:55 PM   #15

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I've been getting more and more into the steel or cast iron griddle. Outside, on my Camp Chef two burner, I have a Camp Chef steel griddle. It replaced the cast iron one because of its more functional shape.

On a two burner stove I can cook separate things on each side at the same time, like potatos and eggs, or pancakes and sausages or tortillas and jalapeno/onion/ steak on the other. Or bake biscuits under a deep aluminum lid that acts like an oven. I just love getting the big spatula out and going for it in the morning, outside. I set the Camp Chef on a steel table, plug it into my propane quick disconnect and go for it. No way to do this inside the trailer without a major mess.

When cooking with iron skillets or dutch ovens or griddles, Ive found that a 10" carbide tipped saw blade, over the burner, really evens out the heat. "Carbide tipped" is actually important because it holds the blade away from the pot just a bit.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:51 AM   #16

Pennsylvania
Registry
Ever thump a good piece of cast with a wooden handle? it has a nice ring to it both the cast and the rally
Dave

So after cooking and cleaning them, we can sit around the fire and play music on them? Very versatile piece of equipment.....
Old 11-04-2016, 05:13 AM   #17

Pennsylvania
Registry
Found a video about a group called Cast Iron Maidens
Old 11-14-2016, 11:57 AM   #18

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
Found a video about a group called Cast Iron Maidens

Can hey cook?